GDT: Game 2 : Czech Republic Vs Russia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | CZE 4 - 3 RUS

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
in last minute when Russia was playing 6 vs 5 ... I was so surprised how tacticaly well our czech lions have played :thumbu:

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, fairly surprised the Czech guys didn't panic during the 3rd and were actually rather improving their defensive game as the time on the clock went on. Dostál was simply outstanding. I love how calm he has been looking, surely boosted the skaters with some confidence as well. For example Dajčar, who was looking very nervous in the 1st, loosing easy pucks, has been pretty solid in the 3rd, effectively using his big body. Another outstanding performance has been delivered by Myšák. He's the youngest guy on the roster and already on the best forwards. Of course he has got outmuscled time to time, but got very smooth hands and agile skating. Jeník has shown some likeable confidence with the puck, not afraid to create plays in all three zones.

Russia's problems were the goaltending plus discipline. Askarov didn't have a good game at all and they took a couple of needless penalties as well. Besides that I must say this Russian team is terrific. It is apparent most of their players have some KHL experience. The way they can read situations on the ice and find solutions is very mature, they really look like a pro team rather than juniors.

Feeling very sorry for Lauko. He looked completely broken sitting next to the bench, almost in tears.
I hated his coaching last year but Varada did a great job on this one! Czechs were much more composed in third when under fire. I said before that this team is more Varada's style.

Jenik was a notch above to me.. he is our best forward and his so composed with the puck.

I'm hoping to hear good news for Lauko.. he seemed to really want to represent! Terrible luck.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Russia looked really good.. this was an odd loss. Hit a hot goalie

Dostal has been hot ever since he came to Ilves in February. That shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. I hope Ilves doesn't lose awfully many points during the WJC because he's away.

Reactions: Czechboy

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Frankly speaking, I'm not overly concerned about the loss. Other than the lack of discipline and stupid penalties I liked what I saw. Askarov was a bit shaky, but it can happen to anyone. I'd rather take a loss early in a round robin to address the most important issues before the elimination round.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Frankly speaking, I'm not overly concerned about the loss. Other than the lack of discipline and stupid penalties I liked what I saw. Askarov was a bit shaky, but it can happen to anyone. I'd rather take a loss early in a round robin to address the most important issues before the elimination round.
Exactly.. the more likely medal winner lost today. Thrilled with the upset bu not worried about Russia (or US/Canada/Finland/Sweden) medal chances at all. Quarter final day will be awesome!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
No matter who they play, I think that their chances to beat any team which is not from North America are very high.
Ask Saturday around 1pm EST... German's are going to be tough. If we can somehow win that (or get to OT) then I'll think about the quarters. I do now see why German fans are mad... they play tomorrow night and then us Saturday morning. The break might help us figure out a new configuration since I don't think we'll see Lauko again.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Ask Saturday around 1pm EST... German's are going to be tough. If we can somehow win that (or get to OT) then I'll think about the quarters. I do now see why German fans are mad... they play tomorrow night and then us Saturday morning. The break might help us figure out a new configuration since I don't think we'll see Lauko again.
My prediction for that game is 5-2 czechs

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I know they look decent on paper this year but I wasn't too impressed with Germans in the pre-tourney game against the US... even before the disastrous 3rd period, they seriously lacked finish - their PP looked completely useless. Haven't watched us against Russia though so what do I know... and this is the best team Germany has had in a very long time, plus we need those points to advance so I absolutely agree we shouldn't underestimate them.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My prediction for that game is 5-2 czechs
Mine is 2-1... not sure who wins. With today's victory... the good news is that getting Germany to OT would give us a minimum of 4 points. I could see them doing to us what we did to Russia today. Some good bounces, hot goalie, shut us down a little... we'll see. I don't think it'll be an easy game.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I know they look decent on paper this year but I wasn't too impressed with Germans in the pre-tourney game against the US... even before the disastrous 3rd period, they seriously lacked finish - their PP looked completely useless. Haven't watched us against Russia though so what do I know... and this is the best team Germany has had in a very long time, plus we need those points to advance so I absolutely agree we shouldn't underestimate them.
A: pretourney
B: against US

Swede's destroyed the Czechs in preseaon a week ago. I always just hope we don't get an injury in preseason games. I'm not exactly expecting the Czechs to be close in the US/Canada games.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
A: pretourney
B: against US

Swede's destroyed the Czechs in preseaon a week ago. I always just hope we don't get an injury in preseason games. I'm not exactly expecting the Czechs to be close in the US/Canada games.
Sure it was pretourney, but you could see the US didn't give a damn in the first two periods before turning it on in the third, they committed a bazzilion penalties, and still Germany couldn't really get anything going despite all that time on the PP. Yes it was the US and Germany didn't have Seider yet who could be a huge help... Who knows. We can't underestimate them but I think we should be able to beat them.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sure it was pretourney, but you could see the US didn't give a damn in the first two periods before turning it on in the third, they committed a bazzilion penalties, and still Germany couldn't really get anything going despite all that time on the PP. Yes it was the US and Germany didn't have Seider yet who could be a huge help... Who knows. We can't underestimate them but I think we should be able to beat them.
I will cheer to the end and won't miss a second of it... I remember, about 5 years ago, we beat Canada at the World Jr's.. couldn't beleive it. Then we lost our next game... against Germany. We tend to have troubles as 'favourites'. Don't get me wrong... I'm hoping we win... 6 points to start would be great and give us a few tiebreakers. Noon on Saturday and I'll calm down.lol

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad