GDT: Game 2 : Czech Republic Vs Russia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | CZE 4 - 3 RUS

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia was by far the superior team, had they started the #1 goalie the game was probably a comfort win.

2 even strength goals allowed by Askarov was very questionable

That being said, Czech pulled out a gutsy win, congrats.
No argument... Russia has an awesome team and I would not want to see them in a Quarter final! Not worried about them at all... they'll do very well IMO.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Very entertaining game. Would watch again, sucks that there's 2 massive games at the same time in an hour.. want to watch both :<

As much as people like to shit on Askarov, Russias defensive efforts definately did not help him. Lots of turnovers and high scoring chances given.. they didnt really give him the best chance to have a solid game.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russian juniors may be following the usual Russian path. Start out slow and then ramp up. We shall see. A lot of talent on that team. Just need more discipline and better goat lending. :naughty:
Russia looked really good.. this was an odd loss. Hit a hot goalie, allowed some bad goals but they looked every bit a tournament threat. I'm glad we don't have to see them again.lol

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Russia always starts slow. I still expect them to win the tournament. But that’s probably the last Askarov will play. I thought Miftakhov would’ve started and we’d see Askarov later on. With Askarov struggling in his first game, I doubt Bragin goes back to him, unless Miftakhov also struggles.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Very entertaining game. Would watch again, sucks that there's 2 massive games at the same time in an hour.. want to watch both :<

As much as people like to **** on Askarov, Russias defensive efforts definately did not help him. Lots of turnovers and high scoring chances given.. they didnt really give him the best chance to have a solid game.
I think it is hard for a goalie to sit around for 10 minutes without a shot and then face a high danger chance... Askaraov will be awesome. He's 17 and in a U20 tourney... he'll go Top 10 in draft.. the next goalie taken will be in third round.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Czechs looked like the team that cared in this one. I question Bragin's decision to leave Askarov in after a horrible 1st period, but the absence of any leadership on this team was the decisive factor. Russia is in danger now of not qualifying for the medal round. Goaltending looked like a strength for Russia coming in to the tournament, but now it may be their biggest weakness. If they continue with the level of dispirited play they showed against the Czechs, they will be gone by Jan. 2.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For a team that dominated possession, Russia didn't have enough finish to their game. Czech goalie has something to do with that, and the penaltys ruined any flow to the game. Can't say that it was a badly reffed game, though. I thought they let go a tripping penalty near the end, but they had to call the boarding.

I liked Russia's D more than i expected to. CZE's not so much.

Unfortunately, my team's prospect, Khovanov, was kind of a ghost. Had an assist, but was otherwise near invisible.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czechs looked like the team that cared in this one. I question Bragin's decision to leave Askarov in after a horrible 1st period, but the absence of any leadership on this team was the decisive factor. Russia is in danger now of not qualifying for the medal round. Goaltending looked like a strength for Russia coming in to the tournament, but now it may be their biggest weakness. If they continue with the level of dispirited play they showed against the Czechs, they will be gone by Jan. 2.
I have zero worries about Russia... quarter final day they will come alive. Czechs recently beat them in round robin at Junior A challenge and then got killed by them in quarters. This team is really good.

I think Czechs beat Russia on boxing day at this tourney last year too... doesn't mean anything. Russia is ridiculously good.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I have zero worries about Russia... quarter final day they will come alive. Czechs recently beat them in round robin at Junior A challenge and then got killed by them in quarters. This team is really good.

I think Czechs beat Russia on boxing day at this tourney last year too... doesn't mean anything. Russia is ridiculously good.
Exactly. Still a strong gold medal contender

Reactions: king89 and Czechboy

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I think it is hard for a goalie to sit around for 10 minutes without a shot and then face a high danger chance... Askaraov will be awesome. He's 17 and in a U20 tourney... he'll go Top 10 in draft.. the next goalie taken will be in third round.
It's been 15 years since a goalie was picked top 10 lol this won't happen.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Russian juniors may be following the usual Russian path. Start out slow and then ramp up. We shall see. A lot of talent on that team. Just need more discipline and better goat lending. :naughty:
Yea Russia losing should really scare the Swede's and Fins. If they lose to Canada and USA as well, finish 4th in the group, all they really need is one good game in the quarters to get them back on that gold medal path.

It's almost a blessing to be in such a strong group with the current format.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Well, fairly surprised the Czech guys didn't panic during the 3rd and were actually rather improving their defensive game as the time on the clock went on. Dostál was simply outstanding. I love how calm he has been looking, surely boosted the skaters with some confidence as well. For example Dajčar, who was looking very nervous in the 1st, loosing easy pucks, has been pretty solid in the 3rd, effectively using his big body. Another outstanding performance has been delivered by Myšák. He's the youngest guy on the roster and already on the best forwards. Of course he has got outmuscled time to time, but got very smooth hands and agile skating. Jeník has shown some likeable confidence with the puck, not afraid to create plays in all three zones.

Russia's problems were the goaltending plus discipline. Askarov didn't have a good game at all and they took a couple of needless penalties as well. Besides that I must say this Russian team is terrific. It is apparent most of their players have some KHL experience. The way they can read situations on the ice and find solutions is very mature, they really look like a pro team rather than juniors.

Feeling very sorry for Lauko. He looked completely broken sitting next to the bench, almost in tears.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well... that was shocking! Russia was a great team... better than us but got a little silly with penalties and such. Dostal was the player of the game... most his saves are so calm and no rebound so they don't make 'play of the night' video reels.

The good news is that we have 3 points going against Germany and getting them to OT would go a long way in getting us a playoff spot (4 points).

The bad news is that Lauko is probably done... I feel terrible for him. I think Mysak benefitted from this the most. Hoping to see more from Pytlik. German game is our medal game.. very nervous about it.

Russia has an awesome team... not worried about them at all. This was one of those 'any given Sunday' type moments.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yea Russia losing should really scare the Swede's and Fins. If they lose to Canada and USA as well, finish 4th in the group, all they really need is one good game in the quarters to get them back on that gold medal path.

It's almost a blessing to be in such a strong group with the current format.
I, for one, am ecstatic to not have to play Canada, US or Russia in a quarter IF we make it. Not that I want to play Finland or Sweden either.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad