GDT: Game 2: ChickenHawks @ Coyotes |1-20-13| 8PM (Raise the ****ing banner edition)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yandle has had two poor games. Smith hasn't been great in two straight. I'm not going to write them off as having peaked already because of two games without camp. C'mon fellas.

As far as lines go, I can see what Tippett was going for. I didn't perceive Dallas as a tremendous offensive threat, and didn't expect Jagr to look like 1993. Dallas has painfully unproven D, and I'd have dressed Rundblad over Schlemko in a game like that, too. Same thing for putting Lombardi on the third, to try to get more offense. Against the Hawks, they can roll one dangerous line after another. Makes sense to dress Schlemko and put put Gordon up with Korpikoski and Moss for more ice time. Bissonnette was in the game because Bollig was and because of some potential lingering bad blood. Low and behold, Bollig did what he does and Biz did what he does. I sure would've hated to see poor Kyle Chipchura have to answer that bell.

When Schlemko was healthy last year, he was a solid defensemen for us. I don't see him out of the line up after how solid he was last night. I don't know why Biz plays, don't get that one at all. As for smith, we kind of have no choice but to ride him out and let him get his timing back. Barbs will play some no matter what with the schedule, but Smith is our horse, good, bad or ugly, we have no other choice.

Yandle on the other hand, I am not so sure. He should have been ready and has made so many bad plays the first two games, dumb plays. How long does Tip stick with him given the depth of our D? His leash is not unlimited like Smith's. I could see his minutes cut or a healthy scratch coming if he doesn't turn it around a little in the next 3 games or so.

Most of the play is sloppy as expected but a shortened season will shorten the bench and the leash on certain players. I think Kieth will turn it around and Sully too. Sully will get more time to figure it out because he is new here and we have less options other then shuffled lines and limiting minutes. Only 2 games, no panic yet.....

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Could not disagree more on Yandle.

What is your take on Yandles play last year and so far this year? How many games do you give hime before you start to worry about his play?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wholeheartedly agree and then some.

Why? Where would you rank Yandles play compared to the rest of our D?

I want Yandle to succeed, I loved watching him play two years ago, he was fantastic. But since then, something just seems out of sync. Is he thinking to much, wants to do to much. I don't know,maybe the other teams are playing him different now and he can't adjust but he is nowhere near the same player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Schlemko was better than Yandle, apart from his spin-o-rama crap and his hesitancy to shoot. Z looks kind of slow out there, like the hip hasn't healed or he isn't conditioned.

Schlemko and Boedker came out of that game +2. Schelmko also had 2 more minutes of even strength time over Yandle. Seems like Tippett is well aware of his struggles.

Chips and Biz only played about 5 minutes each, which is a total waste.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Agreed, no need for Biz. That wasn't a traditional staged fight, though. Bollig ran Vrbata and needed to be fought. I wish we had a Bollig who could actually play a regular shift, run guys, and answer the bell.

No one took care of business when Sullivan got hit and I think that was a disappointment. I wished we had a big strong, hard hitting, scrappy, ugly, defensively sound D-man for these kind of things. Someone like Carkner.

And I think Yandle will do fine with a little more time but if we trade him, what would you think of trading Yandle for Kessel? I keep hearing Kessel could be moved this year.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
No one took care of business when Sullivan got hit and I think that was a disappointment. I wished we had a big strong, hard hitting, scrappy, ugly, defensively sound D-man for these kind of things. Someone like Carkner.

And I think Yandle will do fine with a little more time but if we trade him, what would you think of trading Yandle for Kessel? I keep hearing Kessel could be moved this year.
Kessel would be a bad fit in a Tippett team, in my opinion. Also, we're still in a phase where how the franchise treats players who commit to Phoenix matters because we can't really offer stable ownership and we're not really perceived as cup contenders, no matter how well we did last year. Sending Yandle off to die in Toronto would not look very good.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kessel would be a bad fit in a Tippett team, in my opinion. Also, we're still in a phase where how the franchise treats players who commit to Phoenix matters because we can't really offer stable ownership and we're not really perceived as cup contenders, no matter how well we did last year. Sending Yandle off to die in Toronto would not look very good.

A stable ownership group could make Phoenix very attractive. The weather is great during the season for the player and his family, he can go and live wherever he is from in the off season. Also, you can go to public places in phoenix and you are less recognized....

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
Surprises/observations after only the first 2 games:
Both Shlemko and Rundblad have played better than expected and an argument could be made that they both deserve regular roster spots.
Yandle, Z and Klesla have not played as well as expected.
Yandle has been brutal.
Morris has been a stud.
Smith has been sub par.
Sullivan needs to prove he can contribute. Has looked out of place so far.
Moss has worked hard and looks like a good addition.
Boedker and Korpi working hard and are playing well.
Doan, Vrby, Gordon playing well.
Hanzal needs to improve, poor on faceoffs.
Vermette has been OK, good on faceoffs.
Overall, turnovers in our end and neutral zone have cost us both games.
It's only 2 games but we need to tighten things up in a hurry.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
our best players haven't been our best players. this is a team designed to win by playing a system effectively. we haven't executed and it's showed on the scoreboard. we need to tighten things up (and we will) in order to compete more effectively. this is the downside of no exhibition games and a shorter camp. keep the faith. the pieces are there.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I don't know how Lombardi ended up on the 4th line early on. Already gave up on him on another line? I'd like to see Sullivan with Doan, and whatever center. Then Boedker with Hanzal-Vrbata. The defense is fine, just have to work through all these kinks early on. These are ugly games.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
BBLQJYBCEAAQIbT.jpg

Saw this on twitter. Also saw it about Tony Romo after the Cowboys' last game. Tough crowd in a short season.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I feel bad for Yandle, and I guess it's not really a secret that I love the guy, but those jokes are fair. I was genuinely embarrassed after the mocking applause Smith received after making a routine save.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't feel bad for Yandle. These guys are making big bucks to perform at their job. I'm not saying the criticism needs to be Montreal-esque, but the players should know that if they don't perform well, the crowd is going to call them out on it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't feel bad for Yandle. These guys are making big bucks to perform at their job. I'm not saying the criticism needs to be Montreal-esque, but the players should know that if they don't perform well, the crowd is going to call them out on it.

Tippett blasted him in the presser. "We had the same guy turnover the puck the same way 3 times" in his most unhappy coach voice.

Wednesday will be a good barometer for this team. If they come out picture perfect and dominate, it's all golden. Another loss... watch out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad