GDT: Game 2: ChickenHawks @ Coyotes |1-20-13| 8PM (Raise the ****ing banner edition)

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
On a side note, I love Vermette. You can tell this guy has a burning passion for the game and our team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, it looks like the lack of practice and lack of pre-season games is catching up with the coyotes. We need a solid system in place and everyone on the same page to win. Chicago obviously has more talent and without our system working, we are going to loose, just like the Dallas game. The question is, how long will it take to get rid of the sloppy play?

Smith looks average at best, no great saves and a few week ones go in. Yandle is pathetic and I hope Tip benches him for next game. Sullivan looks crappy too. These guys are both veterans and should not be making stupid mistakes, right?

Schlemko is going to stay in the line up based on his play tonight, very solid...

Last edited:

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

#Coyotes coach Dave Tippett was breathing fire in the post-game press conference. Practice should be fun Monday and Tuesday.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
656298.jpg

AMAZING!

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I have learned that you can't have a civilized argument on the main boards. It doesn't matter what you say. Their opinion will be right no matter what.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I have learned that you can't have a civilized argument on the main boards. It doesn't matter what you say. Their opinion will be right no matter what.

Its fun to read sometimes though. So much butthurt even after that win. Hell, I'm over this loss though tippett isn't.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Just got back from the game.

Was entertaining in a sense of being fairly back and forth but I kind of felt like I was watching junior hockey out there with all the dramatic momentum swings and the high score. I thought we played okay; we actually generated much better offense but our defense was not sharp and that's exactly what the main key to success was last season for us. We're not playing "Coyotes hockey" so far and with the level of talent we have, that's how we win games. Smith had kind of a dud in goal but we generated enough offense to give us a chance, and Smitty definitely kept us in it coming up big a few times.

Keith Yandle looked awful.

On a side note, I went with the referee outfit and got quite a few funny comments outside the arena.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just taking a look early on there are a few surprises outthere right now.

Detroit got spanked by St. Louis.
Nashville lost in the Shootout vs Columbus.
Vancouver got spanked by Anaheim and lost to Edmonton tonight in the SO I believe.
Philly is 0-2.
Rangers lost.
Toronto Won!. :laugh:
Panthers spanked Carolina.

It's going to be an interesting season for sure.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
My observation on Moss from the first two games is that even with the short training camp after the lockout he's already looking comfortable in our system. However, I've seen him get hit pretty hard quite a few times in the offensive zone, hopefully that isn't rattling him up too much. All in all he seemed exactly like the kind of player we go for, i.e. a useful piece of the puzzle in the system we play, and affordable.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I'm a big time Yandle and Smith fan, and usually defend them on bad games and gaffes, but both players were terrible tonight. No excuses for either one.

On the positive side. I love watching Boedker fly out there. Schlemko was really good tonight as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This game was just like the reoccurring nightmare I used to have where I'm watching a Coyotes game and all of our D are sporting the double nickels and hell bent on putting as many pucks directly into opposition skates as possible, rather than just putting it into the God damned corner. Every ****ing defensemen we have (not so much Schlemko and Klesla) had the itis tonight. The Jovanitis. All of them could not help themseleves. They just had to hear that puck clang off of opposition skate blades and shin pads tonight. There's the corner boys, put it the **** over there and let our guys go get it. Yeesh. The D made me so sick with their decision making tonight. Forcing every damn play, instead of just keeping it simple, basic, easy, and effective. Ugh.

I'm not even mad at Smith. That floater that came straight down and in was a heartbreaker. I feel had for him on that one. That slow dribbler he let roll by him was totally his fault but another tough one to have to just watch go in. Add in that insane Sharp shot from the the glove side face off dot, accross Smith to beat him stick side, when he's six foot ****ing four and four feet outide the crease challenging is basically unfathomable. What the bell could Sharp see to shoot at? There was no angle. He bent that puck like Beckham. I swear it. I have no idea how that was possibly a goal. Makes no sense. Not Smith's fault. Just an incredible act of magic, voodoo, witchcraft or whatever by Sharp.

It seems I wasnt the only one stuck in a nightmare tonight. Poor Smitty will be covered in bruises from frantically pinching himself, desperately trying to wake.

His marks will match Tippett's, who hasn't seen hockey like this since his junior days. Man oh man does the NHL look more like the CHL this year. Haha. Wild and wooly stuff. I can't wait for it to settle down and be a top tier pro league again. It's amateur hour.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The positive is this team hates to lose. They were fired up and pissed off. Limit the stupid mistakes (which is what Tippett does best, thank God) and we've got a good group. They're emotionally invested already. Doan looks like he's in the playoffs. So does morris. It starts with the leaders. It's a good sign.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The hawks were never standing around in the neutral zone or on the blue lines when they had the puck. It was ALWAYS a fluid entry. Coyotes were limited to dump and chase, turnovers and brute force. None of which can be counted on in the long run. Hawks brought it across the line and passed effortlessly. They smashed the Coyotes with their raw skill. Just bashed them in, as a defense. Yandle was certainly doing his best to help. Lots of poor positioning, stupid passes and poor breakouts.

The line combos were crap, but having been at the game and not knowing Sullivan was hurt (honestly, he is useless. When do we call this experiment over?) kind of gives an idea why Lombardi was out there with Gordon and Biz. Why is Biz on this roster? Why is he in the NHL? He does nothing. He literally had a really bad turnover, and couldn't move the puck forward.

Just a mess. Wishing we had traded Yandle at this point.

Feb 12, 2003
I'm not concerned yet, but they need to get this figured out in a hurry. The simplest analysis is that the Coyotes are just not playing that cohesive defensive game that is needed for this team to win. I don't know if it's the long lockout or short training camp, but if they can get back to playing as a 5 man unit things will balance out. Smith is definitely having a challenge right now, but I think he can get past it as well.

I really liked Schlemko's game tonight. When the team was playing it's best during the game he seemed like he was involved in the play and making good decisions with the puck. Boedker looks good out there and if he can get his hands at the same speed as his feet he'll be finishing.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I'm not ready to get angry or upset yet. This team obviously needed to address some issues after the Dallas game, but couldn't because of a back-to-back situation. Tippett simply needs more hands-on time. Having Monday and Tuesday off should be good for us.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just got back from the game...ran into an old friend and basically had to get kicked out of the joint by the ushers.

Anyway...wow, it was certainly a different game. I'm not ready to panic yet, but isn't 3 losses in a row in a shortened season the trigger for not making the playoffs?

I can't remember the last time a DT coached Coyotes team had this many tournovers and giving up breakaways. Smith hasn't been good, you could tell tonight he was fighting the puck. Yandle makes one nice play to Doan, but he had a very bad game...just awful.

We need to get back on the right side of this equation and in a hurry.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
The positive is this team hates to lose. They were fired up and pissed off. Limit the stupid mistakes (which is what Tippett does best, thank God) and we've got a good group. They're emotionally invested already. Doan looks like he's in the playoffs. So does morris. It starts with the leaders. It's a good sign.
Statement of the night. This team didn't go down without a fight. I love that. I'll watch a game until the end, even if it's a complete stinker, but that doesn't mean I haven't mentally lost hope. If any of you know who Jeff Marek is, he always says that one of the biggest flaws with the post 2005 lockout San Jose Sharks is that they lose too easily. Not in the sense they are a bad team, but that they are too willing to accept defeat. I'm glad everybody on our team was pissed off and frustrated, it's a lot better than giving up or being complacent.

Also Shane Doan. After Smith hacked the goal post, he came over to him to give him a pep talk, and maybe it's just me, but I felt with his play afterwards, he was genuinely trying so hard to do right by the goalie, but more importantly, his teammate and friend that carried the team last year to the Western Conference Final. I was so impressed by how Doan knocked Oduya the **** over and then contested the ******** penalty with such passion in a game that was pretty much over. That man is a true leader.

Also that backhander of his was pretty nice.

Wile E Coyotes

Oct 29, 2009
Arizona
The beginning of our season:
x9CvAzq.gif

Sloppy start aside, we play the Blue Jackets next, if we dont end up with a point in that one, I'll be worried.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I thought we were done at the beginning of last year and that turned out pretty good so I'm not going to panic. We need to turn it around quick with the short season though. I agree with XX on Biz. He is just annoying to watch anymore. He didn't even look good in the staged fight. He's just a complete waste of a roster spot. I'd rather Tippett run a 7th dman than play him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad