Post-Game Talk: Game #2 CAPITALS vs penguins @3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Because no one on that line shoots. And scoring 2 goals is not enough to beat the Pens. At least Vrana has shown that he isn't afraid to fire the puck.
Sorry but the line has been a lot better with Stephenson on that line. They are a very good defensive line and have produced offensively as well.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sorry but the line has been a lot better with Stephenson on that line. They are a very good defensive line and have produced offensively as well.
Well, they were not good in game 1 playing against a Malkin-less second Pens line. If they aren’t going to be used opposite Crosby in a pure shutdown role, they need to put points on the board. Simple as that.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

They have an easy matchup right now. No offense to Simon and Sheahan, but Kessel is the only dangerous player on that line. That Penguins' 2nd line looks sketchy defensively, we need to take advantage there. The Kuzy line can only play the Crosby line to a draw, like last game. We need our depth to give us the extra goal or two to win, and it starts with Backstrom's line. I trust them to do well and they've been really good, but they have to deliver today.

Reactions: calicapsfan

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I think, Sullivan made a mistake to not put Malkin for this game. (If he's able to play but I think he doesn't play because they won G1.)

If we take that game and the series, that decision would be the turning point

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I think I understand how pens play. Most of the game they save energy, and when they`re trailing or want to deny opposition team to score late in the game, they activate high speed mode. Caps need to do the same. Play smart, and increase tempo only when Pens do that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They have an easy matchup right now. No offense to Simon and Sheahan, but Kessel is the only dangerous player on that line. That Penguins' 2nd line looks sketchy defensively, we need to take advantage there. The Kuzy line can only play the Crosby line to a draw, like last game. We need our depth to give us the extra goal or two to win, and it starts with Backstrom's line. I trust them to do well and they've been really good, but they have to deliver today.
I don’t have a lot faith that 8-92-43 can consistently play Crosby to a draw. They couldn’t last game: Sid’s line figured them out and adjusted by the third.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I personally don’t have a lot faith that 8-92-43 can consistently play Crosby to a draw. They couldn’t last game and I felt Sid’s line figured them out and adjusted by the third.

It was a draw, 2 goals for each line facing each other. The 3rd goal was also the Crosby line, but they were up against Backstrom this time. We should have an advantage somewhere with one of our lines. They don't have Malkin, we must do something.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I personally don’t have a lot faith that 8-92-43 can consistently play Crosby to a draw. They couldn’t last game: Sid’s line figured them out and adjusted by the third.
I'd rather matchup Backstrom line against Crosby any day.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It was a draw, 2 goals for each line facing each other. The 3rd goal was also the Crosby line, but they were up against Backstrom this time. We should have an advantage somewhere with one of our lines. They don't have Malkin, we must do something.
Yeah but the Pens has the better of the play late. Partly score effects, but I don’t consider it a draw when Crosby took over the momentum when it mattered most.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think its safe to say sabotaging the ice to slow down the Pens, backfired. #DicksIdea

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah but the Pens has the better of the play late. Partly score effects, but I don’t consider it a draw when Crosby took over the momentum when it mattered most.

The timing was bad but a hockey game is 60 minutes, and I felt like our guys had the better of the play for 30 minutes.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Agree. Offense line of both teams should play against shutdown lines. When offense against offense, that's gambling.
Maybe part of it is whether or not 19/77 can consistently keep up with Crosby and his linemates whereas 92/43 can do so but who knows. You'd think that would be the desired match-up rather than assuming 19/77 will be the difference-making scoring-line instead, particularly since that wasn't their role last series either. It almost seems like they weren't strategically prepared for Malkin not playing because, all due respect, the same fundamental mentality as last series re: stopping Panarin should be largely operative for Crosby/Guentzel.

Reactions: shtorm2005

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovechkin's line provided the only offense in G1. If they want to win they need other guys to put up points. If they're a one-line offensive team they lose, simple as that. They also need to do to the Crosby line what they did to the Panarin line, especially with Malkin out.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
So what happened to the 3pm start time... NHL needs to stop with this shit. Start the damn game. NFL starts on time, NBA starts on time... NHL... 30 mins late. Drop the damn puck.

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->