Post-Game Talk: GAME #2: Canucks 4, Flames 7 - Heck of a Saturday night

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pettersson looks like a star. He’ll inevitably hit a wall. He’s not going to lead the league in scoring this year, but how he responds to that will show us if he’ll be a superstar or just a star. So far though he looks dominant.

Reactions: Peen

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pettersson may save Benning like Boeser probably did, but eventually his inability to build any part of the rest of the team is going to bite him. The blueline itself is likely a multi-year fix under the best GM.

you know what gives me hope? in the 1990 season our roster was linden (20), lumme (23, acquired near the trade deadline), mclean (also 23), and a garbage pile of rejects, has-beens, and never-will-bes. the only established player that would be a longterm piece was adams (26).

two years later, all that was left was those four, larionov, lidster, sandlak, and plavsic (also acquired at the 1990 trade deadline).

the 1990 blueline before march was reinhart with one foot in the grave, butcher, lidster, robert nordmark, harry snepsts’s corpse, larry melnyk, kevin guy, and one jim benning. you know how many playoff games they ended up collectively playing for the canucks in the 90s? 29, and all of them were lidster.

of course, our GM at the time knew how to read.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Only caught bits of the game as we went to the Lions game then out for the fight..

I see we let the first shot on goal and lost the special teams battle....

How do the bubble boys look in the battle of "not to be scratched once Roussel returns"?
Motte v Granlund v Leipsic.. with Schaller still waiting as well.

Unless one of them really craps the bed, I think it's obvious that Biega gets waived if Roussel comes back in while everyone is healthy.
(Are people thinking this as well)

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Only caught bits of the game as we went to the Lions game then out for the fight..

I see we let the first shot on goal and lost the special teams battle....

How do the bubble boys look in the battle of "not to be scratched once Roussel returns"?
Motte v Granlund v Leipsic.. with Schaller still waiting as well.

Unless one of them really craps the bed, I think it's obvious that Biega gets waived if Roussel comes back in while everyone is healthy.
(Are people thinking this as well)
I think Benning wants 8 d-men on the rooster. Motte has looked best so far IMO, Shaller or Granlund can go to minors for all I care.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
qvGeOim.jpg

a4uTnoa.jpg

This one is what appears to be a 3 on 2 entering the offensive zone against Gio - Brodie

Should Baertschi gone wide on Brodie or should Horvat involve his teammates more on plays like these ones, instead of trying to deke through two d-man
pmqHU17.jpg

GseNuFj.jpg

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
you know what gives me hope? in the 1990 season our roster was linden (20), lumme (23, acquired near the trade deadline), mclean (also 23), and a garbage pile of rejects, has-beens, and never-will-bes. the only established player that would be a longterm piece was adams (26).

two years later, all that was left was those four, larionov, lidster, sandlak, and plavsic (also acquired at the 1990 trade deadline).

the 1990 blueline before march was reinhart with one foot in the grave, butcher, lidster, robert nordmark, harry snepsts’s corpse, larry melnyk, kevin guy, and one jim benning. you know how many playoff games they ended up collectively playing for the canucks in the 90s? 29, and all of them were lidster.

of course, our GM at the time knew how to read.

Yeah, I think a new GM and a 1st overall pick *could* turn this team around pretty quickly, but it is going to take a lot of skill to get the Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, and Gudbranson contracts off the books. Hell you could even add Baertschi to this list.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Yes and no. One of those contracts (hopefully Eriksson) will be taken off our hands for free in the Seattle expansion draft

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yeah, I think a new GM and a 1st overall pick *could* turn this team around pretty quickly, but it is going to take a lot of skill to get the Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, and Gudbranson contracts off the books. Hell you could even add Baertschi to this list.
Gagner has another year left on his retirement deal as well.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Not sure what to make of this Pettersson thing. I was expecting a 40 point season and him to take a few years to get going before eventually reaching the ppg+ level.

Only watched the second period and bits of the first as I was watching the fights most of the night... but EP's talent is crazy and his transition has been very smooth.

Our defense is very bad. We have been badly outshot and outchanced and goalies are the only reason we havent lost both games 6-2.

Baertschi is a notorious slow starter. I'm more worried about Horvat and Boeser right now. Yikes.

How did our goalies help us score 5 extra goals over 2 games? Markstrom was good/lucky first game but seemed average 2nd game. 1 bad goal at a bad time wrecking solid play rest of game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->