GDT: Game 2: Bruins @ Coyotes |10/5/19 18:00 FSA | half-assed edition

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So OEL is 2nd among D in PPG since 11/12. Kessel is 8th among F in PPG in that same timeframe. OEL is in the front half of his prime. Kessel in the back half of his. Both are in their primes, however. Two of the most deadly PPG goal scorers at their respective positions over the last near decade in the NHL. And we have both. In their primes. On the same unit.

I mean damn. What do we have to do?!?!?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So OEL is 2nd among D in PPG since 11/12. Kessel is 8th among F in PPG in that same timeframe. OEL is in the front half of his prime. Kessel in the back half of his. Both are in their primes, however. Two of the most deadly PPG goal scorers at their respective positions over the last near decade in the NHL. And we have both. In their primes. On the same unit.

I mean damn. What do we have to do?!?!?
OEL has been figured out. Last 3 seasons 12, 14 and 14 goals. Good, but not elite.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In the half decade from 14/15 to 18/19 only one defensemen in the entire NHL has scored more goals than OEL. And that’s Brent Burns, who spent some of that time playing forward.

Even if you go all the way back to his first full-time NHL season eight years ago, he’s 3rd among all D (again, including Burns). (He’s 2nd in PPGs in that time).

Nothing has to be different about his shot to make him and elite goal scoring D. He’s possibly the most elite goal scoring D in the entire world.
You point still kinda stands but I think He's also behind Giordano and if we look a little more recent he isn't trending in the same direction. Use last 4 seasons and he's 7th. Use last 3 and He's 9th. Still a good goal scoring D man any way you look at it.

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL has been figured out. Last 3 seasons 12, 14 and 14 goals. Good, but not elite.
The teams sucked. That’s the only difference. He didn’t get figured out. He’s got no support. When the team was decent, he was good for 20+ goals a year. If this team ends up top 10-15 in goals and he stays healthy, he’ll be top 3-5 in the nhl in goals among D this season. No doubt about it. Automatic.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
You point still kinda stands but I think He's also behind Giordano and if we look a little more recent he isn't trending in the same direction. Use last 4 seasons and he's 7th. Use last 3 and He's 9th. Still a good goal scoring D man any way you look at it.
He’s behind Giordano only if you go back to his rookie season where he spent half the year in the AHL. I went back to his first FULL season, the year after. Weber, Burns and Giordano are all getting up there in years and are likely due a decline. OEL is elite in this regard.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He’s behind Giordano only if you go back to his rookie season where he spent half the year in the AHL. I went back to his first FULL season, the year after. Weber, Burns and Giordano are all getting up there in years and are likely due a decline. OEL is elite in this regard.
My reply was in regards to last 5 seasons. He's 3rd.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
After sleeping on it, the only player that I thought floated around was Schmaltz. I can think of something positive pretty much every other player contributed. Halak did play great, but that's not an excuse. We had several opportunities where we just sent it right into his pad when we had to either try 5 hole or to elevate the puck. Just gotta take the lid off

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
He's an employee of KTAR. It's probably a contractual issue that he can't appear on Iheart's airwaves or something.

Lapinski does seem to still be affiliated with the team though as he just started a new podcast for them.

And yeah Spanier is horrible. The old FSR weekend guy Chis Plank was pretty good but I haven't listened in 4 years or so since I stopped working overnights.

I remember they used to do the post game show on the then Fireball Terrace. They would bring a player up and interview and they would usually stay and sign stuff. Wished they did that still.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The good news is our D and net minding has been solid both games. This game could have gone either way. I do feel like we outplayed our opponent in both games, slightly. If we keep our GAA down, we will start winning some games, it might take more time to get there and get some production. We have more scorers than last year on the roster. I don't see any disasters now.

Schmaltz is over coming an injury, it will take him time to forget about his ACL. Goose made one big mistake in game 1, but was solid last night. Chych made a few mistakes last night, that can't continue. I think we are ok, but a win would help the confidence.

Reactions: Jakey53

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It's frustrating going to game and they can't even give you a goal to celebrate. As someone said... Had a sold out barn and they didn't give them anything to cheer for. Not the greatest impression for the season.

They played well... But I'm personally past that being the bar to meet. They actually need to have the results AND play well.

1 goal in 2 games is the same crap as last year. That's a recipe for no playoffs and a meh draft position. I hope they can find their game in a way that allows them to consistently score.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
In the half decade from 14/15 to 18/19 only one defensemen in the entire NHL has scored more goals than OEL.

We all know there are two versions of OEL though, and while defensively strong thus far, we need that added offensive flare right now (just 3 SOG so far). We need more production (shots) from our D when we actually have o-zone time. I accidentally posted this on the other GameDay forum, but we need far fewer shots like these.
SmartSelect_20191005-202027_NHL.gif

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

May 13, 2004
Looks like they are counting this year as one of the 5.
Why would we do that? That would be the last four.

Anyway, that’s a weird site. I used nhl.com. That site does have G/GP over the last nine (actually eight, since they’re counting 2gp as a season) seasons. OEL is top five. Burns is #1 and Buff is #4. Both player significant parts of those seasons as forwards. I’d say OEL is up there with Weber and Gio and EK as true goal scoring D in the NHL since he came into the league F/T.

All of this crazy, needless detail is really only cited to say “OEL is as good as it gets for scoring goals as a defenseman in this league”. He might not be the absolute best but he’s absolutely elite in this regard. If you’re looking for a goal scoring D, you don’t trade OEL for any player in the league.

Last edited:

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
We all know there are two versions of OEL though, and while defensively strong thus far, we need that added offensive flare right now (just 3 SOG so far). We need more production (shots) from our D when we actually have o-zone time. I accidentally posted this on the other GameDay forum, but we need far fewer shots like these. View attachment 261473
This shot is purely to try and get a line change, you can see Vinnie going off before Dvo even shoots it. Those two weren't on the same line last night so it's seems obvious that was Dvo's intention. An easy way to get a change and an O zone faceoff.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
What happened to Luke's postgame show? I liked to listen to the apologist extraordinaire on my drive back from the game, but 910 switched from the end of the game broadcast to some obnoxious guy named Arty Spanier.

He's an employee of KTAR. It's probably a contractual issue that he can't appear on Iheart's airwaves or something.

Lapinski does seem to still be affiliated with the team though as he just started a new podcast for them.

And yeah Spanier is horrible. The old FSR weekend guy Chis Plank was pretty good but I haven't listened in 4 years or so since I stopped working overnights.

He was also on the radio intermission sections tonight doing player interviews so it looks as if he does have some flexibility with in game broadcasts. But as far as a stand alone post game show goes that's probably not an option anymore and the podcasts replace it.

So what radio channel is the post game? After the Heeter went off air they started talking I think football. There was no Yotes postgame coverage. I thought the point of 910 was to have wall-to-wall Yotes coverage that would include postgame?

Reactions: Yandover

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Why would we do that? That would be the last four.

Anyway, that’s a weird site. I used nhl.com. That site does have G/GP over the last nine (actually eight, since they’re counting 2gp as a season) seasons. OEL is top five. Burns is #1 and Buff is #4. Both player significant parts of those seasons as forwards. I’d say OEL is up there with Weber and Gio and EK as true goal scoring D in the NHL since he came into the league F/T.

All of this crazy, needless detail is really only cited to say “OEL is as good as it gets for scoring goals as a defenseman in this league”. He might not be the absolute best but he’s absolutely elite in this regard. If you’re looking for a goal scoring D, you don’t trade OEL for any player in the league.
I guess it would make more sense further into the season??? I used it assuming it was before this season and until you questioned it I would have never noticed? I also was a little surprised that D scored so little??

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So what radio channel is the post game? After the Heeter went off air they started talking I think football. There was no Yotes postgame coverage. I thought the point of 910 was to have wall-to-wall Yotes coverage that would include postgame?
I emailed Aaron Cohen and he responded back that 910 goofed up, pressing the wrong switch. He says it won’t happen again. The post game will be on for the next game.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This isn’t the first time a post game show got snipped. KTAR did it on several occasions when they had a syndicated show normally airing in the same spot. If you ever figured out which station the game was on that is...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I emailed Aaron Cohen and he responded back that 910 goofed up, pressing the wrong switch. He says it won’t happen again. The post game will be on for the next game.

So there was a post game show, and everyone who did it was just speaking into the ether :laugh:

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow...What a pathetic first night of mistakes. In the Suite Level Club where you pay $35 for a buffet meal, there was literally NO food. I don't mean like a few dishes were out...I mean ALL of them. We waited the entire 1st intermission and most of the 2nd period for them to replenish the food. It never came. They were even short on food at the dessert bar..no Vanilla ice cream. We had to buy (again) food at the concessions, which were also at some locations short on food. I missed the entire 2nd period and about 1/3 of the 3rd. Ridiculous! What makes it more crazy is the new order is in the restaurant business. He won't be happy when he learns about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->