GDT: Game 2 - Avs Vs. Blues - Redemption Round - 7PM MT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW, anyone have a clip of the Nuke hit on Bortuzzo?

While I never wish injury on anyone (except maybe Tom Wilson) I’ve no sympathy for Robert “It was under my f***ing elbow!” Bortuzzo. Dude is as dirty as they come.

Also, just wanted to point out again that Clifford retaliating against Nichushkin led to a power play that led to an Avs goal and essentially put the game out of reach for STL.

But hey...the Blues didn’t play with their tail between their legs did they?

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Calling it now, Timmins, not Cole, will be the one scratched in order to give Byram some ice time. Which will be a big mistake because of how well Timmins is playing right now.

Timmins has played fine but let's not plan a parade.

EJ, Cole and Byram are all better players and deserve to play over him

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There we go. Hopefully everybody is feeling a little better about the team we’re lucky to have this year.

Great bounce back effort by a lot of guys. Saad had a great game. Moving his feet and skating well, battling with second and third efforts, and making a really nice play to setup the breakaway. Grubauer with a great bounce back game. Donskoi with a great bounce back game. Graves with a really great bounce back game. Toews picks up a PP goal with an absolute hammer.

Sammy G was great again, but Cale Makar looks like he’s one game away from being absolutely unstoppable. He made some plays in this game that left my jaw on the floor. His IQ and hands are just lightening quick and he’s looking like the Bo Jackson of hockey out there with his athleticsm.

Mikko with the Forsberg back pass to Hejduk play was one of the best things I’ve seen in long time. I’ve been waiting for an Avalanche player to make that move, but I didn’t expect it to be on the opposite side. I thought I’d be Landy to Nate on the other side.

The PK with a hell of a lunch pale game, working their tail off. Calvert, Belly, Donskoi, and Jost with great efforts and Compher picked up one of his patented breakaways.

Jost with another really good game. Love hearing that he’s become so dedicated to turning himself into a PKer. I’ve been hoping he’d do this for a while now. That’s two games in a row of keeping his feet moving too. Another thing I’ve been hoping for. Would love to see him keep doing both well.

Were the Blues really that pissed at that Bortuzzo hit from Nuke? Bortuzzo skated into the corner, spun, then stayed hunched over while Nuke barely followed through on his hit. They were running Nuke all game long, looking to fight him like he Bertuzzi'd someone.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There we go. Hopefully everybody is feeling a little better about the team we’re lucky to have this year.

Great bounce back effort by a lot of guys. Saad had a great game. Moving his feet and skating well, battling with second and third efforts, and making a really nice play to setup the breakaway. Grubauer with a great bounce back game. Donskoi with a great bounce back game. Graves with a really great bounce back game. Toews picks up a PP goal with an absolute hammer.

Sammy G was great again, but Cale Makar looks like he’s one game away from being absolutely unstoppable. He made some plays in this game tonight that left my jaw on the floor. His IQ and hands are just lightening quick and he’s looking like the Bo Jackson of hockey out there with his athleticsm.

Mikko with the Forsberg back pass to Hejduk play was one of the best things I’ve seen in long time. I’ve been waiting for an Avalanche player to make that move, but I didn’t expect it to be on the opposite side. I thought I’d be Landy to Nate on the other side.

The PK with a hell of a lunch pale game, working their tail off. Calvert, Belly, Donskoi, and Jost with great efforts and Compher picked up one of his patented breakaways.

Jost with another really good game. Love hearing that he’s become so dedicated to turning himself into a PKer. I’ve been hoping he’d do this for a while now. That’s two games in a row of keeping his feet moving too. Another thing I’ve been hoping for. Would love to see him keep doing both well.

Were the Blues really that pissed at that Bortuzzo hit from Nuke? Bortuzzo skated into the corner, spun, then stayed hunched over while Nuke barely followed through on his hit. They were running Nuke all game long, looking to fight him like he Bertuzzi'd someone.

Nice post.

On Nichuskin, it's nice to see one of our bottom 6 forwards getting under the skin of the opponents like that, making them focus on retribution against him rather than focussing on trying to score or generate offence. If Nichuskin can add an element of agitation to his game, along with bring a strong net front presence and being elite defensively, then he'll be even more impactful this season than last year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nice post.

On Nichuskin, it's nice to see one of our bottom 6 forwards getting under the skin of the opponents like that, making them focus on retribution against him rather than focussing on trying to score or generate offence. If Nichuskin can add an element of agitation to his game, along with bring a strong net front presence and being elite defensively, then he'll be even more impactful this season than last year.

Look how much Bortuzzo changes his body in the matter of a second.

I know they're placing more onus on the hitters for hits to the head now, but you can't skate into the corner, spin, and then leave your jaw hanging right above the dasher thinking nobody is allowed to hit you.

Nuke-Hit-on-Bortuzzo-1.png

Nuke-Hit-on-Bortuzzo-2.png

Reactions: AvsMakar08

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Just looks a half step behind to me. Doesn't look panicked, but slightly rushed. Haven't seen a lot of offensive flair either

Not the end of the world for a young guy trying to find his place, but its going to take some really solid play to even stay in this lineup from the looks of it

Canadians (edit, Montreal Canadians) love Timmins. I had a couple of Canadians asking me about his availability. If Timmins stays healthy he could get Colorado a hefty return. Some people think that he will be really good, we will see.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So now EJ is washed up? Did you guys not watch the playoffs last year? We still EJ. Hopefully Timmins can become his replacement, but he's absolutely not better than him yet. Well Timmins or the new hotness Helleson.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Canadians (edit, Montreal Canadians) love Timmins. I had a couple of Canadians asking me about his availability. If Timmins stays healthy he could get Colorado a hefty return. Some people think that he will be really good, we will see.
At least get the team name right when making stuff up ffs.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
BTW, anyone have a clip of the Nuke hit on Bortuzzo?

While I never wish injury on anyone (except maybe Tom Wilson) I’ve no sympathy for Robert “It was under my f***ing elbow!” Bortuzzo. Dude is as dirty as they come.

Also, just wanted to point out again that Clifford retaliating against Nichushkin led to a power play that led to an Avs goal and essentially put the game out of reach for STL.

But hey...the Blues didn’t play with their tail between their legs did they?

Yes they did.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Danault would be an interesting rental. Tatar as well to a lesser extent.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I've dumped on Ryan Graves quite a bit, especially during the playoffs but gotta give him credit that may have been his best game as an Avalanche yesterday. I thought he was outstanding!

As far as the arguments back and forth about who's better than who... that seems kind of pointless. The Avs bounced back in a major way and they needed to do it. They may not play like THAT every night for the rest of the regular season but at least now we know that they do have that gear that they can get to.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
So does Timmins have to be protected in the expansion draft? This is an important question. They'll be protecting 4D either way, but you don't want Timmins to become Shea Theodore on Seattle.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Danault would be an interesting rental. Tatar as well to a lesser extent.
That assumes that Montreal will be deadline sellers. I wouldn't be so sure, especially in that division, I think it'll be a dogfight for those four spots. They would have to be well out of it to consider selling pieces like that, and I don't foresee them being clearly on the outside looking in with this playoff format.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad