GDT: Game 2 - Avs Vs. Blues - Redemption Round - 7PM MT

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I haven't been all that impressed with Timmins - hope he gets ice time to change my mind but I'd rather see Byram at this point, Timmins doesn't look NHL ready to me with his decision making

Girard has been fantastic - the only thing holding him back from being a true #1 will be his size. He still tends to get pushed around in the defensive zone, but his breakouts have been glorious so far this season

Nichushkin is worth his contract if all he does is park his ass in front of the net on the PP - he's right there in the way on both Donskoi and Toews' goals

Told y'all there was some gas in Jost's tank - give him the 3C and see what he is capable of
Timmins' decision making is the highlight of his game, and he's made lots of smart plays. No idea how you can criticise his play, especially his decision making.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Timmins' decision making is the highlight of his game, and he's made lots of smart plays. No idea how you can criticise his play, especially his decision making.

Just looks a half step behind to me. Doesn't look panicked, but slightly rushed. Haven't seen a lot of offensive flair either

Not the end of the world for a young guy trying to find his place, but its going to take some really solid play to even stay in this lineup from the looks of it

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Just looks a half step behind to me. Doesn't look panicked, but slightly rushed. Haven't seen a lot of offensive flair either

He makes well chosen and crisp passes all the time. He covers his man well. Sure he's a bit slow, but he makes up for it. He's clearly better than Cole right now, and I'd be a bit surprised if Byram can currently outplay him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I just cannot agree with the Makar > Girard posts here. Samwise has been our best player in these two games bar-none and this not an anti-Makar post by any stretch of the imagination. Now, with that said two games is quite meaningless especially when everyone was driving on fumes in one of those matches.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Girard has been great. Makar has made a few good plays but also been kind of shaky. I like what I've seen from Timmins even though he's obviously in a reduced role compared to others, when he's on he's been solid. Graves has also looked pretty okay (and big!). Expecting Makar and Toews to pick it up as the season goes on.

I'd say play thus far has been
Girard > Timmins > Makar > Graves > Toews > Cole so far.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Timmins for me has been their 4th best defenseman so far. Imo:

1. Girard
2. Makar
3. Toews
4. Timmins
5. Graves
6. Cole

Graves has been better I think. He was a stud yesterday alongside Girard and did a lot of really good things on the PK especially.

I see it so far basically being like this

Girard

Makar/Toews

Graves
Timmins

Cole

Cole has been really slow in both games and has made a number of glaringly bad mistakes. We dont really have much of an alternative option at the moment, but when Byram is up to speed and EJ healthy, he really needs to be put on an especially short leash.

If Graves can build off his last game, especially on the PK... He becomes almost irreplacable in the lineup as well. He was incredible at making the right read, the right play, and getting the puck to safety on the PK last night. He keeps that up, along with EJ coming back and our PK should really stabilize into a league wide top tier unit this season.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Not the end of the world for a young guy trying to find his place, but its going to take some really solid play to even stay in this lineup from the looks of it
You're never going to see "offensive flair" in much abundance from Timmins, it's simply not his game.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I said in the last game's thread that what makes a team a \Cup contender is how they response to bad games...did they ever last night. Great game.

So happy for Jost showing improvement in his skating. This will be huge for him going forward in his career.

Praise to Sakic taking a decade of bad D cores to arguably the best in the league considering the depth at that position. We are so lucky to have Makar, Girard and Toews and then you add Timmins and Byram and you are just foaming at the mouth. Graves was a great find and Gilbert might be as well if you listened to Bednar's comments on him. Let's not forget Barron and Helleson as well who are doing well in lower leagues.

Let that sink in for a minute...Makar has just barely played one full season worth of games in the NHL (84 games) and he already has four 3-pt games.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I've liked Timmins especially last night. He seems a step quicker, more assertive, and a little bit more physical (and bigger actually) then I've ever seen him.

I think he's been fine. It'll be a tough call who sits when EJ is healthy and Byram needs a chance. Because Graves was actually very good in game 2 after a disastrous game 1 paired with Cole.

Toews-Makar
Byram-EJ
Graves-Girard

Or

Toews-Makar
Girard-EJ
Graves-Timmins

Bo and Connor can rotate in for eachother for a while to see who is more NHL ready. I really have a hard time seeing Cole getting regular games unless injuries start to pile (they likely will also with Covid etc.)

Also wouldn't be the worst thing to give EJ a night off here and there even if he's healthy. Need him healthy and rested for the playoffs.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Calling it now, Timmins, not Cole, will be the one scratched in order to give Byram some ice time. Which will be a big mistake because of how well Timmins is playing right now.
Thing is 2 guys need to be scratched if EJ is good to go as well.

Bo and EJ might both come right in as a pair.

Then I think Cole and Connor will sit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad