GDT: Game #2: Anaheim Ducks @ Calgary Flames, 7:00PM on SNET-W and The Fan 960

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Not coming to troll or anything. Just wondering, are any of you concerned that the flames may have been built or may just be a better team for a more defensive style?? Will Hartley change it up at some point?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not coming to troll or anything. Just wondering, are any of you concerned that the flames may have been built or may just be a better team for a more defensive style?? Will Hartley change it up at some point?

Absolutely not. We tried defensive hockey for 3 years under Sutter and it didn't work. Feaster went out and got Wideman, Hudler, and Cervenka - those aren't moves that are made by a defense-minded team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I've seen Ramo more than once. Seems to me to be a Price style giving more flukes.
Brossoit is your best in my opinion.
Not sold on Gillies and Irving at all.
Ortio, you're talking about a league where Mika Noronen were dominating like hell and also, Ortio's an average goalie in it considering it is a really defensive league? Nice.

I'm not saying that Campbell is better than all of them, but all I say is the Flames don't have an NHL-caliber goalie prospects (except maybe Brossoit).

If he isn't a clear cut better option why would we waste trading Iggy for him? Next year Ramo,Brossiot,Ortio,Irving will all be looking for Ahl and Nhl jobs why fill a spot with another goalie that is only as good? It doesn't significantly increase our chances of developing the next start and it forces one out of the mix.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Not concerned yet we knew their would be growing pains this team hasn't played an offensive system since the young gun era that 10+ years ago. We say yesterday in the second period them revert back to Sutter hockey and it cost us the game today we struggled for the first 15 minutes to find our legs and after that point we were the better team. Maybe if we keep losing after 10ish games we will be freaking out but right now we are still adjusting to a new system. Also Kipper looked like crap tonight I think we would have won with Irving in so I am not worried yet.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

There are a lot of players on this roster who have previously thrived in an offensive system. Kipper is not one of them, and it's starting to be a bit more obvious this season.

I think Hartley has an idea of the system he wants for the Flames, and he's not going to change it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
There are a lot of players on this roster who have previously thrived in an offensive system. Kipper is not one of them, and it's starting to be a bit more obvious this season.

I think Hartley has an idea of the system he wants for the Flames, and he's not going to change it.

I know I am probably alone on this but I would try and trade Kipper + Stempniak + Smith for Kadri + Franson + Riemer. We would weaken our goal tending but I would just run the hot hand and Franson and Kadri are big upgrades on Stemps and Smith.

I think if we are going to play an offensive system we might as well go all out

Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Sven - Backlund - Hudler
Kadri - Stajan/Cervenka - Cammy

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not to worried honestly. Hudler will be a nice addition and I'm still hopeful that Cervenka will give us an extra shot of skill as well. Cammy and Sven haven't even got going yet either. Once Kipper tightens up his game this team could actually be really dangerous. Tough loss tonight in what was a sloppy game.

I also think TJ may of been our best dman, doubt he'll sitting anymore.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I'm not to worried honestly. Hudler will be a nice addition and I'm still hopeful that Cervenka will give us an extra shot of skill as well. Cammy and Sven haven't even got going yet either. Once Kipper tightens up his game this team could actually be really dangerous. Tough loss tonight in what was a sloppy game.

I agree, all the teams have been sloppy in the first few games. We shouldn't take much from it.

I wouldn't say TJ was our best all around dman, but he sure has that ability to contribute offensively when the other team isn't expecting it. That Stempniak goal was all on him.

Wideman was our best defenseman tonight for sure, I'm very happy with that pickup so far.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Whats the status on Cervenka? I havent heard anything last few days and right before season it seemed like it was close...

His appointment was bumped, and we won't hear anything at least until tomorrow night, than I imagine we will have an exact timeline

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

Im not worried either but we gota start winning some games or well be short of a few points come april like we always do. Brodie was great, what a pass he made to stemps

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Someone like Horak will get bumped to the 4th line, in all likelihood, and I assume Jackman gets scratched/put on waivers.

I really wouldn't mind if this happened, except for the fact that if we do that then we have literally no one to bump and grind with the rest of the NW division. I suspect we'll keep Jackman solely so we have at least a little bit of sandpaper on our team.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I really wouldn't mind if this happened, except for the fact that if we do that then we have literally no one to bump and grind with the rest of the NW division. I suspect we'll keep Jackman solely so we have at least a little bit of sandpaper on our team.

We'd still have Comeau/Begin/Jones (or at least one or two of those three) as well as Glencross, but the team would certainly be a little less beefy. I think the benefit of rolling 4 potential scoring lines might outweigh the grindiness of Jackman. The Flames need all the potential scoring depth they can get, be it from their 3rd or 4th line.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I've seen Ramo more than once. Seems to me to be a Price style giving more flukes.
Brossoit is your best in my opinion.
Not sold on Gillies and Irving at all.
Ortio, you're talking about a league where Mika Noronen were dominating like hell and also, Ortio's an average goalie in it considering it is a really defensive league? Nice.

I'm not saying that Campbell is better than all of them, but all I say is the Flames don't have an NHL-caliber goalie prospects (except maybe Brossoit).

If you're saying we have a Price Caliber goalie in Ramo I'll take that 10 days out of 10. It doesn't sound to me like you know what you're looking for in goaltending prospects to me. Brossoit is a good Junior goalie but I doubt he'll be anything more than a backup, Ortio with the exception of his confidence issues, plays a style that most translates to good NHL goaltending. You're basing his game on how he plays on big ice, well news flash it doesnt directly translate, many NHL goalies don't play well on bigger ice because the angles are COMPLETELY different, look at Karlsson, he was a stud in Europe, but could never really make the transition, its a different game. The way Gillies plays, I'd say is our best prospect that's never played in the NHL, he plays big and he plays quick. Also, I like Ramo, only seen him a couple of times, but he plays with the type of swagger you like to see in your goalie. It inspires confidence that fringe teams desparately need.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Yes Horak was good, looks stronger out there.

Blair Jones was also really good. Too bad he is usually the odd man out.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Yes Horak was good, looks stronger out there.

Blair Jones was also really good. Too bad he is usually the odd man out.

I also thought that Backlund and Baertschi, looked really good, and showed some real creative promise in their attempts to create something out of nothing. Granted there were a few times Baertschi looked a little lost out there and a few times where he looked downright tired, but that should be expected out of a young kid who was out with an injury, being tossed into an intense camp that moved straight into a double header. I really like where he's headed, but I liked that line better when Stemps was playing with Backs and Baertschi. Cammo I think is better suited to be with Iggy and Tangs to be fully honest. Maybe put Glencross with Czervenka and Hudler when they get back, give that line some grit and speed.

And who didn't jump out of their chair when Baertschi made Fowler look like a peewee defenceman?

Flamesfan13

Nov 6, 2006
Calgary AB
Idk about you guys, but i think this team has so much potential. That game against sanjose, we played so well in the first. Against the ducks, we came back from a 3 goal deficit. The game last night could have went either way. We need our big boys to start pulling their weight (ie. Cammy and Iggy). Once we get that first win, i think this team gets rolling. I truly believe we win in vancouver tomorrow night. GO FLAMES GO

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree, all the teams have been sloppy in the first few games. We shouldn't take much from it.

I wouldn't say TJ was our best all around dman, but he sure has that ability to contribute offensively when the other team isn't expecting it. That Stempniak goal was all on him.

Wideman was our best defenseman tonight for sure, I'm very happy with that pickup so far.

The only reason I say that is because Brodie was rarely caught out of position in his own zone last night, you can tell he was more sharp than the others. He broke up several plays with his skating ability and solid positioning. Also, his passes out of our own zone were by far the best IMO. They were the most crisp and closest to tape to tape of anyone else on our backend. He was also generating offence and eluded many defenders, I'd be shocked if he was benched another game if he can keep that up.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Idk about you guys, but i think this team has so much potential. That game against sanjose, we played so well in the first. Against the ducks, we came back from a 3 goal deficit. The game last night could have went either way. We need our big boys to start pulling their weight (ie. Cammy and Iggy). Once we get that first win, i think this team gets rolling. I truly believe we win in vancouver tomorrow night. GO FLAMES GO
I agree with most of this (I think Vancouver will pound us tomorrow, unfortunately) and it's the reason I haven't thrown in the towel just yet.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The only reason I say that is because Brodie was rarely caught out of position in his own zone last night, you can tell he was more sharp than the others. He broke up several plays with his skating ability and solid positioning. Also, his passes out of our own zone were by far the best IMO. They were the most crisp and closest to tape to tape of anyone else on our backend. He was also generating offence and eluded many defenders, I'd be shocked if he was benched another game if he can keep that up.

Agreed. Honestly, if Brodie was a little physically stronger (both for defensive purposes and a harder shot) he'd be a top 4 lock right now, and a potential top pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad