GDT: Game 2: 10/6/2019 - Dallas Stars @ Detroit Red Wings - 7 PM ET (FS-D, ESPN+)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Zadina is not as good as our anybody on our second line, then I'm really worried.
He isn't yet. Watch the preseason games. Svech looked like he was, Raz could have played WIng (looked stronger), and Veleno will be soon. Even Smith looked more ready (though for a bottom 6 role).

He's young, give it time. Couple more years, then I'll start worrying. Right now I'm more excited about Veleno TBH.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Zadina is not as good as our anybody on our second line, then I'm really worried.

Right now he is not, I am surprised you would even state that after we just got through the pre-season.

I think he will be fine long-term. Having these guys work on things in GR is fine for the time being. Rushing players is basically the cardinal sin that was Edmonton and Buffalo for a lot of the last decade, it is a really bad idea. Ras and Svech looked great in game 1 down there, let them build. Veleno and Zadina had rough games, still they all have things to work on. Having them get abused by NHL second lines just so we can have the new shiny toy isn't really a great strategy. They will come up when they are really ready and they will work their way up the lineup the same way Bertuzzi, AA and Mantha have. Pretty much every team in the NHL does it this way for a reason, it is in the best interest of the organization and player.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Let 'em percolate & build chemistry, while experience winning

upload_2019-10-6_23-7-44.png

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You guys are freaking out too much over the one line thing. Yes, we won the last two games without secondary scoring, but it was still only 2 games. Lines get hot and cold, it happens.

Flip and Nielsen will score some. Just not every game. Hirose will score, but he is complementary, he won't do it himself. AA will score. Glen will pot some backhands once in a while.

Is our secondary scoring GOOD? Not really, but it's not totally nonexistent. And more importantly, that's a lot easier to fill in later through trades or free agents later when it's relevant. Having a dominant TOP line was the most important and most difficult part, so let's be thankful that seems to have worked itself out.

Defense is still the much more uncertain thing right now. Hanging a lot on my boy Seiderman.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Let 'em percolate & build chemistry, while experience winning

View attachment 261565

Honestly wouldn't cross of McLeod, he impresses me a lot when I watch him. He is a long shot, but he is the kind of guy that might grind his way to the league as a long-shot. Smart player with a pretty high motor. He will need a full development arc and would get here as an older guy like Glendening, but I like that we have him. He is one of those why not kick at the can players that sometimes pans out for you. Pearson is another one down in GR that I like a lot even if we don't talk about him with the higher level guys.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
like the captain said tonite , guys aint nhlers til bout age 23 .

Did you like that he quoted Holland while saying it.:laugh:

That interview was basically the same stuff only without the stutters and ummms. I am happy the Captain is home though, super pumped for where we go over the next 12 to 18 months.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
You guys are freaking out too much over the one line thing. Yes, we won the last two games without secondary scoring, but it was still only 2 games. Lines get hot and cold, it happens.

Flip and Nielsen will score some. Just not every game. Hirose will score, but he is complementary, he won't do it himself. AA will score. Glen will pot some backhands once in a while.

Is our secondary scoring GOOD? Not really, but it's not totally nonexistent. And more importantly, that's a lot easier to fill in later through trades or free agents later when it's relevant. Having a dominant TOP line was the most important and most difficult part, so let's be thankful that seems to have worked itself out.

Defense is still the much more uncertain thing right now. Hanging a lot on my boy Seiderman.
It is. But there's not enough talent or anybody they could call up to fix that. This defense and goaltending are probably the worst in the league.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Exactly. To add to that, this is a quasi-tank/throw away year
Someone should inform Mantha.

Honestly wouldn't cross of McLeod, he impresses me a lot when I watch him. He is a long shot, but he is the kind of guy that might grind his way to the league as a long-shot. Smart player with a pretty high motor. He will need a full development arc and would get here as an older guy like Glendening, but I like that we have him. He is one of those why not kick at the can players that sometimes pans out for you. Pearson is another one down in GR that I like a lot even if we don't talk about him with the higher level guys.
McLeod is on a one year GR contract, not Red Wings' property.

I agree with you on Pearson, I think he'll add more than DLR/Ehn in the long term, though there won't be much room for any of them if the higher end prospects all pan out.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Why??? That is a terrible idea. They have been one of the best lines in hockey now for what 10 to 15 games. Zadina isn't even NHL ready. Let him develop. Barring injury there is absolutely no reason to break up that line and if you are taking out Bert your best bet prospect wise is probably Svechnikov right now in terms of replacement.
It's hard to disagree with you, but even without Bert both Mantha and Larkin going to be very good. I was saying about couple of games just to give directions and bring confidence to Zadina. It's been a vile since I complain about Zadina, but now I believe we need to help our top prospect,just 3-4 games, that's all

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Reactions: kliq

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Let Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Svechnikov, Seider etc pwn up in GR and develop.

Really liking our roster. 1st line ace, 4th line ace and between AA, Filppula, Hirose, neilson here is hoping they can make a half way decent second line.

Liking Filppula's game so far. Competes hard.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mantha's drive to the net goal reminded me of younger Rick Nash. I know the goal scoring hot streak won't last, but I do hope his desire to play hard stays, as he is so much better when he is playing hard, points or not.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I was entertaining some non-hockey friends when I got text message from my buddy (Blues fan) that read "HOLY f*** MANTHA!!!" so I turned the game on and they were showing the replay of goal #4. Good times.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I wonder if we can borrow Scott Lang’s suit to give to Mantha. Then he can really live up to the name Ant Man.

okay, lame joke. :(

Guy has legit looked like a 50G winger. I’ve hyped him up for a LONG time - I hope he’s finally arrived.

The way the team has been playing so far may have them overachieving this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad