GDT: Game 2: 10/6/2019 - Dallas Stars @ Detroit Red Wings - 7 PM ET (FS-D, ESPN+)

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Dallas is struggling out of the gate at 0-2. Wings left Smashville with a victory. Prospects are looking good for the home opener. Hoping for Bertuzzi, Larkin and Mantha to continue the scoring. To those going to the game, have a great time.

I'll be watching on FS-D (God bless having the parents Spectrum login) or ESPN+ (paid $50 to watch Ajax games and 30 for 30 only to find I cannot get the app on my Blu-ray player or TV but can still watch on the phone...the hockey games are a nice bonus).

Lions are on a bye and I already saw Joker so it will be a nice lazy Sunday in the Sonoran Desert until puck drops. The local Walmart is a cesspool but they sell Michigan apple cider. I have a half gallon to drink during the game.

3-1 Wings victory.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I really hope that AA plays. That second line of him and Hirose + anyone will need to be the secondary scoring, that first line can't do it all, all the time.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They're probably gonna put up a stinker tonight because it's back to back and AA is probably not going to play, but they showed last night that they're worth watching.

One line teams with crappy defense have made the playoffs before, Greenie ought to know.
Washington Capitals 2007-08 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

I don't think this team makes the playoffs, but it certainly doesn't look like they want to finish at the bottom either.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
C'mon, Forehand Luke is on pace for 82 goals and 164 points. He just needs more ice time, lol.

(Though seriously, how did Abby get more TOI than LGD?)
I may be in the minority but I think Abby actually had an ok game. Looks much faster than last year and was hustling at least.

He was better than JDLR, Helm and Hirose imo

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I may be in the minority but I think Abby actually had an ok game. Looks much faster than last year and was hustling at least.

He was better than JDLR, Helm and Hirose imo
I won't disagree with that but LGD looked better, Hirose's ice time needs to be limited until AA gets back. It's a one line team without AA, the other 3 lines just need to make sure the other team doesn't score.

I think Svech winds up replacing DLR sooner than later. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens before the end of the month.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
They're probably gonna put up a stinker tonight because it's back to back and AA is probably not going to play, but they showed last night that they're worth watching.

One line teams with crappy defense have made the playoffs before, Greenie ought to know.
Washington Capitals 2007-08 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

I don't think this team makes the playoffs, but it certainly doesn't look like they want to finish at the bottom either.

dallas played last night too. And yeah it does look like we'll finish near the bottom. Roster is the exact same as last year's. The other bottom feeders we were competing with have made significant improvements, except for maybe ottawa

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
dallas played last night too. And yeah it does look like we'll finish near the bottom. Roster is the exact same as last year's. The other bottom feeders we were competing with have made significant improvements, except for maybe ottawa
If the top line continue to play the way they did at the end of last season and the first game of this season, the team won't finish at the bottom. The line looks heck of a lot better than the '07 - '08 Caps top line, and the defense is actually better (believe it or not, that's why I posted the roster).

Where this team finishes depends entirely on the top line obviously. I can't imagine they're going to score 4 goals every game, but they'll score enough to keep this team from the bottom and screw up our draft pick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I am seeing Zaz tonight but I wish the Wings all the luck in the world. Dallas is beatable.

IMO we are only a second scoring line and a star defenseman away from playoffs.
.. and goalie.

The team might already have some of those in the system with Svech (dominated the game last night like he should), Veleno, Seider, and Larsson. Would still be nice to have an elite generational talent like Alexis....

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
McCarty & his Mohawk? live LCA Red Carpet event streaming
upload_2019-10-6_15-50-15.png

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
The good news is we are 1-0, and I would say NSH got pretty thoroughly outcoached in GM 1.

22,65,41,25,etc looked really poised and effective, which I credit the coach for, getting some pretty complete performances from players that tend to be one dimensional.

Going into the season, i think a lot were hoping to see our top line emerge as one of the best in the league. Good start on that, and if maintained, it does drastically shift the expectations for the team.

Hopefully the Wings can build on something here, to justify some tinkering through the season that makes the team match up better throughout the lineup. Because a good start and a sustainable one are different equations.

Hoping to see Bowey draw in for Daley tonight. Expecting more efficiency/structure from Dallas compared to Nashville, due to the exp/acumen of their top line plus Heiskanen and Klingbergs playmaking impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad