GDT: Game #19 SJ SHARKS @ Vancouver Canucks 11/14/13 7:00pm PDT CSN/KFox

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Pavelski got enough of a whack in before the matching minors that i thought he might get 2 minors for himself. Pavelski isn't defenseless.

I have a hard time with your views because they are consistently prejudiced to the general view which is generally out of date. The upshot of your view is that he could be in walker or wheelchair and you would still want him.

I think I can agree with you that Boyle has lost a bit of a step, though I am always open to him proving me wrong.

However, the way you prove your point is no better than Led's; perhaps it is worse. You simply procure these stats and "studies", give no source, have little discussion to the merits of the stats themselves, and submit that your argument is better because it has a degree of objectivity.

The team issue is when his presence becomes a model for others or they wait around until he does it. Just like waiting for JT to do it. All of them have to do it. Right now, that is press initiation of the attack. You don't do that by hanging onto the puck until everyone is ready. That method has failed for many teams.

My opinion has always been that different teams need to played against differently. Sometimes it is appropriate to slow things down. The best teams have players who can beat you multiple ways.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone else notice the bias for the three stars? How do you give Lu the 1st star and Niemi the 3rd star when Niemi let in less and was clearly the busiest of the two? Bieksa's one goal and less ice time beats Boyle's goal and an assist apparently.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I have a hard time with your views because they are consistently prejudiced to the general view which is generally out of date.

Out of date :laugh:

How's your prediction that the Sharks were going to be crap in the near future going?

The upshot of your view is that he could be in walker or wheelchair and you would still want him.

No your just making crap up.

He wasn't injured all of last year and when he wasn't he had the same issues that I was spotting. He has gotten more conservative. I have never been a super fan of Boyle but I acknowledge that at one time he was one of the best offensive guys out there, including the skating, passing, entries, etc. He isn't any longer.

He was injured enough, which shortened his season even more than the shortened season itself and you posting stats trying to prove he's fallen off a cliff time after time without any acknowledgement of these facts give your opinion on the matter little credence.

I acknowledge the necessity of the PP to get to the playoffs. I don't want them sitting around 15-17% because it will put too much pressure on other parts of the team's game. But if they can maintain 20% and gain in 5on5 play, I wouldn't have a problem either. I don't know that they can hit 20% without Boyle, but I think it would be close. I don't think they could hit 20% if they lost both Boyle and JT. I also think they could close on 20% without JT but with Boyle.

The team issue is when his presence becomes a model for others or they wait around until he does it. Just like waiting for JT to do it. All of them have to do it. Right now, that is press initiation of the attack. You don't do that by hanging onto the puck until everyone is ready. That method has failed for many teams.

Boyle is not a model for others and shouldn't be. Boyle is a fairly unique defensemen IMO. I don't really care about the rest as there would have to be some miracle trade to see either JT or Boyle leave the team to change anything a few percentage points and if that happens I'll judge it then.

@OrrNumber4

I agree he's probably lost a step. But when your near the top of the Empire State building and go down a few floors you're still higher than just about everyone else. :)

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
My opinion has always been that different teams need to played against differently. Sometimes it is appropriate to slow things down. The best teams have players who can beat you multiple ways.

I have been following teams closely for the last decade. The one team that slowed down that won was Boston. Even LA, sped up from excruciatingly slow to take the win. All other winners have used some form of speed in their attack. I do agree that different winners have done it differently. It needs to be tailored to their personnel and it has to have enough variety/applicability to take on a variety of opponents.

In this last decade since the enlargement of the offensive zone, the slow attack (cycle hockey) has become less and less effective at producing offense.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Tmac was very happy with vlasics game.

Apparently he tried "16" shots. 10 were blocked. But that's a torts team for you.

Now...he's fast and great with his stick. Him and Boyle should both be able to pinch, and in goal down situations both should be crashing the net.

I could be way wrong, but that pairing was the only one close to positive in possession and if that metric stays level I can't imagine them not creating goals.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Anyone else notice the bias for the three stars? How do you give Lu the 1st star and Niemi the 3rd star when Niemi let in less and was clearly the busiest of the two? Bieksa's one goal and less ice time beats Boyle's goal and an assist apparently.

They had to win something...

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Wasn't around during the game but what an ending. Sick pass by Pavs to Boyler and it looked like Jumbo had a good game.

Edit: Also how did Shep play?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I haven't really paid attention to Sheppard's skating lately, do you guys think its been a lot better than last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->