GDT: Game 19 - CBJ vs NSH - 20 Feb, 7pm

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't agree with Laine's account. Find me a creative player who will be good when the whole match will be forced to chase the puck, because the center loses virtually all face-offs and, importantly, plays poorly without the puck. And he creates chances in every match even today. By the way, do not forget that he is playing with an injury, so his game is far from ideal.

Jack needs players who play well without the puck, who will leave him to play and run around like crazy themselves.But he is a good player.

Look, I know Laine is really good. And I do agree with your point about always chasing and never winning draws, it’s a good point, but I do wish he was more assertive with the puck and more of a driver. Injury or not he hasn’t been that way, from most accounts.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Look, I know Laine is really good. And I do agree with your point about always chasing and never winning draws, it’s a good point, but I do wish he was more assertive with the puck and more of a driver. Injury or not he hasn’t been that way, from most accounts.
I agree and I think Torts wants to change him. But I played ice-hockey and I know it's not as easy as it sounds with an injury.
Btw, I almost fainted when I saw him block the throw. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Laine has never been that way at 5v5.

I think ideally you put him with a couple guys who can play a strong possession game so that Laine is allowed to get lost and just be a pure finisher. He can make a good pass but that's a nice bonus, not something you build the line around.

Reactions: Cowumbus

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio

Torts looks defeated.

I wish the C would be fielding some of these questions at this point. He's not putting much up but turnovers so would benefit from a good heated question session as to why the team is lacking in motivation.

Torts really does look defeated in that video and lacks his usual fire and willingness to declare that the team will do better. He's not a liar; he doesn't declare that they will do better.

With PLD wanting out and that lackluster motivation of the team I REALLY want to know what is going on in that locker room. This team is very much playing like individual parts and not operating as a whole. Every line combo seems wrong because none of these players seem to fit anything.

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
With PLD wanting out and that lackluster motivation of the team I REALLY want to know what is going on in that locker room. This team is very much playing like individual parts and not operating as a whole. Every line combo seems wrong because none of these players seem to fit anything.

I’m going to use that word again

disjointed

Reactions: Monk

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine has never been that way at 5v5.

I think ideally you put him with a couple guys who can play a strong possession game so that Laine is allowed to get lost and just be a pure finisher. He can make a good pass but that's a nice bonus, not something you build the line around.
Roslovic can't pass the puck at speed so his wingers either have to brake on the blue line or run for the puck that he throws into the offensive zone, . In short, he doesn't adhere to tie rule the puck faster than the hockey player. Do you think that in this case Panarin or Kane would have played better? I would not have anything against throwing into the zone if the partners were at speed but it isn't so often, in fact, at all and he isn't Jones, who is a good playmaker and can afford it. Look at the difference between him and Domi, in such a short time with him on the center, the line, figuratively speaking, was more in the attack zone than with Roslovic. Jack excelent player with Atkinson And Bjork/Jenner/Foligno maybe it's time to hodín them again. Well, another problem, the game with the puck. Nashville moved the puck quickly, the players changed places, which caused problems in the defense. Our team played a hit-and-run game, which is not surprising given our line-up.
Understand right, Laine is also not without fault, he would like to improve the game without the puck, play more aggressively, use his size, don't look at the opponent in your own zone, as we say, like a calf on the new gate, which once happens. However, we don't know how much his game is affected by the injury. But it's time to use his quality of sniper.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I’ve been on the train for a while now to trade one of the D men. This team is put together completely wrong. We can’t spend $20 mil on 2 dmen and $10 mil on one winger. We need to get draft picks back somehow. We have too much dead weight and about a billion bottom 6ers. Need a new coach. A lot of work for Jarmo to do.

Course he pretty much put this thing together. Hmmm...I have an idea.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Espen you hit the nail on the head. This is Jarmo's team, not T0rts' team. Torts is coaching here because he is probably the only coach who has proven to be capable of winning with the minimal level of offensive talent compiled on this roster by Jarmo. Nothing will change until Jarmo is gone. And, unfortunately that appears to be a long way off.

60ntheville

Feb 2, 2021
Granville Oh
I wish the C would be fielding some of these questions at this point. He's not putting much up but turnovers so would benefit from a good heated question session as to why the team is lacking in motivation.

Torts really does look defeated in that video and lacks his usual fire and willingness to declare that the team will do better. He's not a liar; he doesn't declare that they will do better.

This is what I wanna know as well! Problems in the room imo and no just not a coaching problem.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
He's the biggest problem, as I see it:

The ones making the biggest concentration mistakes are the older players. MDZ, Foligno, Savard, hell even Jones hasn't been spectacular with his decision making so far.

Do the Jackets just need to hit the reset button and become sellers at this point? I know it would be a bad look, especially if it affects the Laine's thought process here long term, but the Jackets really just look like they need a major shake up at this point.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
17 of the final 37 are against CAR, TBL, FLA. Gulp.

With 7 others in division, isn't that basically what one would expect. 3/7 * 37 = 15.8. Okay, one game more than average.. and more on the road than at home so it's not great but nothing weird either. I guess if one of the teams gunning for 4th spot has significantly easier schedule then the difference is more significant.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Roslovic can't pass the puck at speed so his wingers either have to brake on the blue line or run for the puck that he throws into the offensive zone, . In short, he doesn't adhere to tie rule the puck faster than the hockey player. Do you think that in this case Panarin or Kane would have played better? I would not have anything against throwing into the zone if the partners were at speed but it isn't so often, in fact, at all and he isn't Jones, who is a good playmaker and can afford it. Look at the difference between him and Domi, in such a short time with him on the center, the line, figuratively speaking, was more in the attack zone than with Roslovic. Jack excelent player with Atkinson And Bjork/Jenner/Foligno maybe it's time to hodín them again. Well, another problem, the game with the puck. Nashville moved the puck quickly, the players changed places, which caused problems in the defense. Our team played a hit-and-run game, which is not surprising given our line-up.
Understand right, Laine is also not without fault, he would like to improve the game without the puck, play more aggressively, use his size, don't look at the opponent in your own zone, as we say, like a calf on the new gate, which once happens. However, we don't know how much his game is affected by the injury. But it's time to use his quality of sniper.

I don't see Roslovic v Domi the same way you do. Domi hasn't shown us better passing or transition ability than Roslovic has. Not even close actually. You're really hoping with Domi that he can "flip a switch" because he hasn't done anything well so far. And I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Domi+Patty looked good late last night. I was watching closely and they had almost zero time on the attack, you can verify it here.

I love your Slovak aphorisms by the way.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The board was nearly unanimous in cheering on the buyout and calling him a shit player. Nobody gets to complain about Wennberg.
Why?

Wennberg was a good 3C, but he made too much money. The buyout was a good move. Wennberg at 5.00 AAV vs Wennberg at 2.250 is completely different.

But why does it seem like when players leave they instantly become better or look different than they did here? Can people not be upset about that?

I doubt he keeps it up but in an 82 game season he’s on pace for 25 goals. That would be double the amount that he scored in his BEST season as a jacket.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’ve been on the train for a while now to trade one of the D men. This team is put together completely wrong. We can’t spend $20 mil on 2 dmen and $10 mil on one winger. We need to get draft picks back somehow. We have too much dead weight and about a billion bottom 6ers. Need a new coach. A lot of work for Jarmo to do.

Course he pretty much put this thing together. Hmmm...I have an idea.

The forwards are indeed a mess. I would be unforgiving but this time it really isn't Jarmo's fault. They had an improving #1C who was great at defensive play and transition play, the two biggest issues the team is currently having.

Per Friedman the Laine+Roslovic offer was on the table for months, and Jarmo put it on hold while he was looking for a better fit, implicitly looking for a strong two-way center in return. Jarmo was unfortunately rushed into taking the best offer, leaving us with a mess of a roster.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's the biggest problem, as I see it:

The ones making the biggest concentration mistakes are the older players. MDZ, Foligno, Savard, hell even Jones hasn't been spectacular with his decision making so far.

Do the Jackets just need to hit the reset button and become sellers at this point? I know it would be a bad look, especially if it affects the Laine's thought process here long term, but the Jackets really just look like they need a major shake up at this point.

I don't agree. The ones making the biggest concentration mistakes have been Domi, Laine, Stenlund, and Roslovic.

Everyone makes mistakes but the players making multiple big ones per game have been on the younger, newer side. And interestingly enough, I'm just noticing that all four of the guys I just mentioned happened to have reputations for weak defense before coming to the Jackets.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't see Roslovic v Domi the same way you do. Domi hasn't shown us better passing or transition ability than Roslovic has. Not even close actually. You're really hoping with Domi that he can "flip a switch" because he hasn't done anything well so far. And I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Domi+Patty looked good late last night. I was watching closely and they had almost zero time on the attack, you can verify it here.

I love your Slovak aphorisms by the way.

Thanks you for site. :):thumbu: IMHO this couple looked good, you can't forget there're three players in the line and Cam with Max haven't showed chemistry like Max with Texier. Do you remember as they played still without Laine's comming? I understand nobody probably won't change the line Grigorenko-Stenlund-Bjorkstrand, but maybe we could try Jenner. As I wrote Jack loves to move the puck IMHO Foligno and Atkinson would be ideal partners for him. There was one game when we played with the line Bjork-Jack-Cam and the line played excelent. Or when Patrik was benched and according him Jenner/Foligno played. Again the line was very good. Patrik loves to play with the puck, Jack too. Resultat... . So, Jenner would play without the puck, in the defense. Besides we also underestimate his hockey sense.
But anyway we need something to be desired. Patrick doesn't have a chance to shoot in this line, you can see that for yourself. Who would have expected the line Stenlund so cool going to gel? Especially that Stenlund is so important player. No one, I think. So what prevents you from trying this particular combination of players? Or Texier as a center but without Cam. Simply we see.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why?

Wennberg was a good 3C, but he made too much money. The buyout was a good move. Wennberg at 5.00 AAV vs Wennberg at 2.250 is completely different.

But why does it seem like when players leave they instantly become better or look different than they did here? Can people not be upset about that?

I doubt he keeps it up but in an 82 game season he’s on pace for 25 goals. That would be double the amount that he scored in his BEST season as a jacket.

Because you can’t play both sides of the argument. Did you want him gone or not?

I called Wennberg a solid 3rd line center for years and yet nobody cared due to his price tag. Which I understood but people were way too hard and were expecting way too much from him once he settled in on his role.

Is it a concern that players leave and do better offensively? Yeah, but it’s not like this is a reserved thing for the CBJ. This happens all the time.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Probably the same reason the grass is greener on the other side. You only see the green part. There have been plenty of forgettable ex-Jackets.

Perhaps someone can do a thorough analysis of all ex-Jackets. Suffice it to say I put this daily stat watching of ex-Jackets in the garbage bin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad