GDT: Game #18|Wed., Nov. 13, 2013|Flyers at Penguins |8:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
I wonder if MAF is through his woes especially against the flyers... Last pens game was very anti climatic... I imagine this one will be pretty good as far as intensity and a win here would be huge.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Honestly, even with Emery in net, I got a good feeling about tonight. I think the Flyers take this game but it will be close. Another win for the orange and black at Wells Fargo West.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Emery in? Hmmm maybe chief doesn't think the flyers can win and doesn't want to ruin masons confidence?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Mason's career numbers in the 2nd half of back to back games where he started the 1st are not pretty. Its cool.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Mason's career numbers in the 2nd half of back to back games where he started the 1st are not pretty. Its cool.

Then again, you could edit out "in the 2nd half of back to back games where he started the 1st" and the sentence would still be pretty accurate. However, Mason seems to be a new goaltender this year, so I'd go for it were I calling the shots.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
In Pitts, they will get Sid out vs Vinny every chance they get. Ayden needs to rough him up a bit and try and get him rattled as that will be the biggest mismatch of the game !

You forget who's behind the Pens bench. He doesn't believe in exploiting matchups. I'm 99% sure Sid will be out there against Giroux.

Should be fun to see which one of Malkin/Giroux breaks out tonight.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm feeling Pens 3-0 lead after 1, 3-2 lead after 2, Flyers tie it in the 3rd, Pens take the lead, Flyers tie it again, lose in a shoot out.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Some people who don't follow Pittsburgh all that match don't realize how poor Sutter has been in that third center role compared to Staal. It's way far off in terms of quality from those days. It's not something we should worry about in the slightest.

Also, Emery starting? What the **** Berube? That's just asking to lose an important game in a time where we can't afford to lose at all really. Pittsburgh is a team with two of the best offensive players in the world and a decent supporting cast offensively. Can't really afford to play our backup goalie who can't move side-to-side for a game like this.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Some people who don't follow Pittsburgh all that match don't realize how poor Sutter has been in that third center role compared to Staal. It's way far off in terms of quality from those days. It's not something we should worry about in the slightest.

Also, Emery starting? What the **** Berube? That's just asking to lose an important game in a time where we can't afford to lose at all really. Pittsburgh is a team with two of the best offensive players in the world and a decent supporting cast offensively. Can't really afford to play our backup goalie who can't move side-to-side for a game like this.

Not to mention that it shows a lack of faith in Mason. Put up stellar stats for your whole career here so far and get a 5-0 shutout? Sorry, we have to play Ray Emery whose highlights here are limited to hip necrosis and jumping another goalie in a blowout.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Mason just played, it's a back to back in the first 20 games in the season. It's not that big of a deal I think. It was probably scheduled that way no matter how Mason did in Ottawa.

Mason will go in Winnipeg on Friday night. I don't believe this hurts his confidence at all.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You forget who's behind the Pens bench. He doesn't believe in exploiting matchups. I'm 99% sure Sid will be out there against Giroux.

Should be fun to see which one of Malkin/Giroux breaks out tonight.

So true :laugh:

But Sid vs Vinny is a huge win for Pens imo and should be going for it at all times. Big positive is Vinny was lights out in the face off dot last night, so that should help hopefully.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I'd be more than happy with a solid victory like last night. (Who wouldn't?) but I think this team could really use a typical Flyers - Penguins game to really get their confidence going. A nice wild physical game with questionable calls and scrums after every whistle. A huge hit from Rinaldo. Maybe comeback down 2-0 like the good old days! Honestly a victory in a game like that could really help this team bond.

And I'm really not all too worried about Emery. He's played pretty Well the last 2 games.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Get the W.

But I'm also hoping for Rinaldo or somebody else to take some shots at Neal. The ***** doesn't fight so you have to hit him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Mason just played, it's a back to back in the first 20 games in the season. It's not that big of a deal I think. It was probably scheduled that way no matter how Mason did in Ottawa.

Mason will go in Winnipeg on Friday night. I don't believe this hurts his confidence at all.

We're at the point of the season where playoff hopes are slim if we can't get things rolling and that's only because we play in the worst division in the league. Aside from that, this team needs confidence to do anything.

Getting destroyed to a rival and the top team in their division after two solid wins against weak teams works against all of that.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Ugh, the Pens are exactly the team you don't want Emery in net for. No idea why you play Mason last night and Emery tonight, should have been the other way around or Mason both nights.

This early in the season, after Mason getting a low-shot shutout, I think we definitely should have played Mason again. Emery would have been fine against Wpg.

Scared the team's gonna come out well and Emery will let in some Bryz-like goals to break their confidence/momentum.

Really, who plays their backup against the 2 best players in the league? I don't care that its back-to-back, if that's the issue, Emery should have started last night.

Berube's line up decisions continue to baffle. At least the top 9 is healthy (knock on wood). Doesn't look like there's a spot for Raffl anymore unless he's gonna be on the 4th line.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, the Pens are exactly the team you don't want Emery in net for. No idea why you play Mason last night and Emery tonight, should have been the other way around or Mason both nights.

This early in the season, after Mason getting a low-shot shutout, I think we definitely should have played Mason again. Emery would have been fine against Wpg.

Scared the team's gonna come out well and Emery will let in some Bryz-like goals to break their confidence/momentum.

Really, who plays their backup against the 2 best players in the league? I don't care that its back-to-back, if that's the issue, Emery should have started last night.

Berube's line up decisions continue to baffle. At least the top 9 is healthy (knock on wood). Doesn't look like there's a spot for Raffl anymore unless he's gonna be on the 4th line.

Exactly my thoughts. There's no reason to play Emery here really. He's likely to do much worse and this isn't the type of team Emery needs to face.

Any decent starter in the league should be able to handle a back-to-back situation, especially when the first game involves barely any work to be done. We all believe Mason to be a starter so far and he has performed spectacularly thus far so there's no reason to think he can't handle a back-to-back here and just give Emery the next game.

MadFerIt95*

If we can beat Pitt with Bryzgalov.... we can beat them with Emery

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I still can't believe Emery is starting for this one. They're trying way too hard to keep up this 1A/1B facade.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I would love to beat the Pens tonight

But I'm not confident with Emery in net. Even if we play well, Pittsburgh will still get good scoring opportunities and I dont know how up to the task Emery will be.

Not expecting a win tonight, but I'm hoping they surprise me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad