GDT: Game #18 | Tampa Bay Lightning @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Filppula's back. Oh wait......:(

Wish Weiss wasn't hurt now. We would definately get a good look between him and Flip.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Almqvist scores and he's sent back down for Ouellet?? Is Ouellet really that good to be on our 2nd pairing? Babs makes my head hurt sometimes.

AA scored but Ouellet looked more impressive, to be honest. Is he second pair ready? Probably not. But who is? Lashoff looks like a career #6 at best, DD and Kronwall have the top pair secured, and then we have Quincey and Kindl. None are ideal #3 guys. We'd all rather see Kindl than Quincey in the top four role, but beyond him, is there really anyone else you'd throw out there ahead of XO?

He might not shine tonight but I'm a fan of his placement. He has long term top four projections and it's nice to see some guys getting big minute experience sooner rather than later.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Further I love Helm but not on a scoring line. He just doesn't have the playmaking ability to be a second line center. I love seeing Alfie and Tatar getting the #2 winger minutes, but I don't think Helm is going to be the guy to center them. Obviously with Franzen and Weiss hurt there's not much else we can do (while keeping the top line in tact, which I am also a fan of), but I don't have too high of hopes for that line. Still, better than giving Andersson, Abdelkader, or Glendening the role... so I don't disagree with the decision... just don't have high hopes production wise.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Other stuff from the morning skate: After the 2010-11 season, Cooper's first with AHL Norfolk, he interviewed by phone with Red Wings coach Mike Babcock for an assistant job. Cooper said he knew he wasn't really ready to be in the NHL, and he believed Babcock was just doing his homework for perhaps something in the future. But the two hit it off and have been friends ever since. "He ended up being pretty vital for me," Cooper said. "I tapped into him the year we won the Calder Cup, just to talk to him about what his teams did, how he dealt with the media and how he dealt with different things. He was like a mentor during that time for me and was very helpful." Added Babcock: "When we got down to it, he said, 'Well, what would you do if you were me?' I said I'd stay in the American League and be a head coach in the NHL." And that's how it worked out. "We've been in touch ever since and he's been a great help," Cooper said, "but for two and a half hours tonight, we're no longer buddies." ... What is the key to beating the Red Wings? Cooper said it is trusting one's own game plan. "They're a team that doesn't beat themselves, so you really have to trust what you're doing. We're not going to break what they're doing, they've been doing it for so long."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...2151704?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
marty's career against wings.. worse than any other time.. by fair amount.

datsyuk has 7 goals and 13 points in 7 games against Tampa.

fwiw.

Hopefully Pav can keep that pace tonight.

I remember Fedorov used to have ridiculous numbers against Tampa back in the day as well. And maybe Osgood too?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Can we stop training Red Wings beaters?? Maclean, Mclellan, Nill, now Cooper??
But think about it. The next time the Wings need an assistant coach or a coach for GR, they'll have the cream of the crop to choose from. They've got a fantastic track record to back them up, too. Any hotshot young coach is going to think hard about going to Detroit. and that's a huge win for the organization.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Hopefully Pav can keep that pace tonight.

I remember Fedorov used to have ridiculous numbers against Tampa back in the day as well. And maybe Osgood too?

yes sir.

fedorov had 37 points in 28 career games against tampa. basically best numbers against tampa, along with pens. but around 30 points in 20 games as a red wing.

osgood, lol. career sv%. 0.905. against tampa 0.932%. had better numbers only against carolina. 19 games against tampa. 17 wins, no losses.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Dan Cleary on the 4th line. A Michigan lost to NEBRASKA. All is right in the world. If I can get a Bama loss and a Wings victory? Oh my.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
yes sir.

fedorov had 37 points in 28 career games against tampa. basically best numbers against tampa, along with pens. but around 30 points in 20 games as a red wing.

osgood, lol. career sv%. 0.905. against tampa 0.932%. had better numbers only against carolina. 19 games against tampa. 17 wins, no losses.

Wings have always matched up well against Tampa, mostly because they've been so bad, but I predict they'll poll out a win tonight with Datsyuk/Zetterberg having big games...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Further I love Helm but not on a scoring line. He just doesn't have the playmaking ability to be a second line center. I love seeing Alfie and Tatar getting the #2 winger minutes, but I don't think Helm is going to be the guy to center them. Obviously with Franzen and Weiss hurt there's not much else we can do (while keeping the top line in tact, which I am also a fan of), but I don't have too high of hopes for that line. Still, better than giving Andersson, Abdelkader, or Glendening the role... so I don't disagree with the decision... just don't have high hopes production wise.

I don't think Helm needs to be the playmaker on that line. His job can be gain the zone gather pu KS etc with his speed with Alfie being more the setup man and Tats the finisher. Might work out nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad