GDT: Game 18 | Nashville Predators @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D+

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've watched every second of the Wings this season and I agree Cleary has sucked in every game but tonights.

Quincey on the other hand is getting judged based on a terrible finish to last season, a bad playoff run, and a terrible opening 3 games.

Since that point he has been arguably our best and most consistent defenceman.

Generally I find people who ignore stats as irrelevant/worthless have made up their minds about someone and will only listen to numbers if they confirm their bias.

Numbers rarely lie.

So then why is he getting third pairing minutes and match ups if he's been our best defenseman?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Oh, best game of the season, and best game from Cleary and Kronwall.

First time they got those point shots and screens working together. Cleary screened the Kronwall's goal and tipped in another (also Kronwall shot).

Some shades about that legendary work by Lidström-Holmström, that was their bread and butter.

Surprisingly good game. Now get healthy and keep this going.

Z was still average,imo.
Z and Brunner have slowed down, but Datsyuk seems like he is getting red hot.

So then why is he getting third pairing minutes and match ups if he's been our best defenseman?
Babcock/Holland want him traded. ;)
Seriously though, if he keeps his game clean, he will get more icetime. I guess he is in a kind of Babcock's doghouse (As is Kindl)

I can't see anyone mentioning Abdeldaker. I think he had that Datsyuk-like pass to Datsyuk that surprised even Datsyuk. Maybe, maybe Abdelkader can play with Datsyuk. I would prefer Tatar with Datsyuk and Cleary.

Strong game by the whole team.
Why did Lashoff play most?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
"When you haven't won, it doesn't matter what the score is, the lead's never safe,'' coach Mike Babcock said. "It's just a confidence thing. Confidence in pro sports comes and goes in a hurry, so this is a big win for us.''

Hopefully the team can build on on it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Babcock/Holland want him traded. ;)
Seriously though, if he keeps his game clean, he will get more icetime. I guess he is in a kind of Babcock's doghouse (As is Kindl)

I can't see anyone mentioning Abdeldaker. I think he had that Datsyuk-like pass to Datsyuk that surprised even Datsyuk. Maybe, maybe Abdelkader can play with Datsyuk. I would prefer Tatar with Datsyuk and Cleary.

Strong game by the whole team.
Why did Lashoff play most?

Ah yes, Babcock's doghouse. Let's look at Quincey's ice time since he was traded to Detroit.

2011-12 Regular season
EVS: 16.51 mins/60
PP: 2.31 mins/60
PK: 2.23 mins/60

2011-12 Playoffs
EVS: 12.01 mins/60
PP: 1.87 mins/60
PK: 1.86 mins/60

2012-13 Regular season
EVS: 13.67 mins/60
PP: 0.98 mins/60
PK: 2.86 mins/60

What does this tell us?

• His even strength ice time has evaporated. During a season when he was supposed to be a top 4 d-man to help offset the loss of Lidstrom and Stuart he's currently 6th in TOI at even strength.
  • He's a complete non-factor on the power play during a season when we have a big need for point man on the power play units.
  • His PK mins have gone up. He's not playing great competition but he is getting lots of ice time.

Conclusion: he's a bottom 6 dman who adds nothing to the power play and is a significant contributor on the penalty kill. He's basically Andreas Lilja with a $4 million contract. Now don't get me wrong I thought Lilja was a solid guy in Detroit. I would have felt much differently if he was making Kyle Quincey money. Heck people were crying about E's contract. Guess what? He's getting top pairing mins in EVS and leads in 4v5 TOI. His contract is a bargain given his utilization.

It's hilarious that when certain posters do not agree with Mike Babcock about how much playing time their pet player gets it's because the player is in Mike Babcock's doghouse. There's a much simpler explanation: Mike Babcock knows way more about what a player brings to the lineup than any of us do. I just get reductive by looking at ice time and competition and corsi and scoring. Typically that gives us some idea of what Babcock is using to make his decisions on ice time.

Pavs, Z, Fil, Kronwall, Howard, Helm, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Lashoff, White...it's kind of funny how none of these guys ever end up in Babcock's "doghouse".

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Could someone give me a quick recap of last night? First game I missed this year.

I see that White and Lashoff played 23 and 24 minutes. Did Babcock roll them as the first pair? How did they look together?

Also how did Tatar, Kindl, and Andersson look?

Thanks for any feedback you guys can pass along :)

p.s. Did Abby, Cleary, and Miller actually contribute on offense, or is the box score lying to me?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just watched the Tatar goal from last night. Wow his hands right in front of the net are money. If he was getting Cleary's scoring chances the last 2 years from that area he'd be converting a ton.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Could someone give me a quick recap of last night? First game I missed this year.

I see that White and Lashoff played 23 and 24 minutes. Did Babcock roll them as the first pair? How did they look together?

p.s. Did Abby, Cleary, and Miller actually contribute on offense, or is the box score lying to me?

Big E and Kronner was one pairing. White and Lashoff was the other. So Babs switched up E and Lashoff. It worked out pretty well. Jimmy stood on his head and deserved to be the first star.

Tatar looked good, Andersson was solid.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Miller had a Homer-esque goal. Cleary was pretty much the same, got a Homer-esque redirect. Abby made some nice passes, he was OK.

crashman

I've watched every second of the Wings this season and I agree Cleary has sucked in every game but tonights.

Quincey on the other hand is getting judged based on a terrible finish to last season, a bad playoff run, and a terrible opening 3 games.

Since that point he has been arguably our best and most consistent defenceman.

Generally I find people who ignore stats as irrelevant/worthless have made up their minds about someone and will only listen to numbers if they confirm their bias.

Numbers rarely lie.

I disagree. I find people that base their opinions solely on numbers are the ones that are delusional. I agree with about Quincey, but it's not because of his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad