GDT: Game 18: Germany Vs Russia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | RUS 6 - 1 GER

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The thing I like about this Russian team is their motor, they just roar through the neutral zone with complete authority, control and confidence. They are a cut above any other team here in that respect.

Reactions: wacko2

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Fully expected this result. Russia just doesnt lose games like this no matter who theyre playing. I really hate to see Germany go to relegation tho.
Deserved to play a playoff.
if Czechs didnt play as valiantly as they did against USA, I'd say they easily deserved to make playoffs over Czechs.
Theyd easily be 3rd or 4th in the other group. Swiss have impressed more and more as the tourney has gone on.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
No matter how talented Germany is, with 24 minor penalties (48 PIM) through not even 4 full games they will never go anywhere.
This has always been a problem. But of course it is also because of being inferior in all aspects. Still need to be way smarter to make the next step.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I really like this German team, they are just unlucky with the group. Seventh strongest team at this tournament at least.
The Swiss might contest that, but for sure Germany don't deserve to be stuck in the relegation series.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Think I'm going to avoid watching Russia keep practicing their PP, game was over after the 2nd goal. Kinda disappointed with todays play, went as expected, though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The thing I like about this Russian team is their motor, they just roar through the neutral zone with complete authority, control and confidence. They are a cut above any other team here in that respect.

If you let them, the USA certainly didn't allow them that kind of space and flow in my opinion. You have to skate with them, I think the developmental program has really helped the USA in that regard, they play Russia a lot more evenly as a result in my opinion. because a bunch of their guys become better skaters in the program.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm predicting a match up Russia-Canada in the semifinal.

We'll probably play Finland in the quaters, but Swiss are a posibility as well. In both cases, it's going to be tough to win. Of course, I think, our team is better, than both Finns and Swiss, but when it's just a single playoff game everything is possible.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If you let them, the USA certainly didn't allow them that kind of space and flow in my opinion. You have to skate with them, I think the developmental program has really helped the USA in that regard, they play Russia a lot more evenly as a result in my opinion.
Well that's the thing isn't it? Don't let them have that kind of flow whatsoever. Precisely what I was talking about that Canada has to do in an earlier post. You have to coach them out of that flow.

You can devise a game plan for that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If you let them, the USA certainly didn't allow them that kind of space and flow in my opinion. You have to skate with them, I think the developmental program has really helped the USA in that regard, they play Russia a lot more evenly as a result in my opinion. because a bunch of their guys become better skaters in the program.

Well, we weren't at our best vs US. Kids looked out of emotions in day-to-day game after a fabulous win over Canada. Emotions won't be a problem in the playoffs, though.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This has probably been the weakest performance by Germany so far. From the very beginning they've been looking like they don't really believe they can win this one. Combined with a very good performance by the Russians, the score stands as it stands. I nonethless expect Germany to beat Kazakhstan without any major problems. Kazakhstan - Slovakia was the real relegation game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
USA blocked tons on shots, today Russia's passing around the blocks and the shots are getting thru.

I just think you have to stay on top of them, you don't allow them to play with that kind of pace. It is a repeatable effort, it is something we have seen annually at this point. You can put it as blocking shots. but they do a pretty good job of limiting their chances when they meet up. If you hang off of them and let them get comfortable you are in trouble, you can pack the middle but you need to be aggressive when the puck spills. A lot of teams get caught puck watching and stop moving their feet and Russia just kills you as soon as that happens.

Reactions: jj cale

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think if you're Germany you rest the big guns at this point. They have played a lot of hockey, relegation is all that matters now, I would play the depth a lot in this third period the scoreline doesn't matter. Agree with pulling the goalie already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad