GDT: Game 18: Coyotes @ Kings - 5PM - FSAZ

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Sorry, gotta rant on this one just a bit more again but it's effin ridiculous... King's player cross checks your best offensive player in the neck/throat and you don't even take a number for later in the game?!

The horse shit excuse about not taking a penalty is just that.... Horseshit. You got Tocchet blowing an obvious challenge so how is that worth it in comparison!?

Besides that, the 2 points means nothing compared to being actual team mates that have each other's backs. That will earn you more than 2 freaking points going forward for damn sure.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Alllll right. Just hoping for a way better effort than last game.

Took Hayton out of line up and the team plays poorly... coincidence? I think not. All I'm saying is put him in the lineup and watch the regicide ensue. :laugh:

(I'm using hyperbole but I'd love to see that happen anyways!)

Regicide...good one. Am I the only person that had to Google it?

I just googled it now, but it did mean what I thought it did.

So, we have a plan. :naughty:
Regicide

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Is this the whole presser? Did no one ask him about how Garland is being treated? How about asking what he or the team is going to do about it?

What a negative presser.

I understand what Tocchet is saying there and forensically it is correct: a couple of ill judged moments by the players cost 2 goals.

But this presser confirms that we have completely reverted to previous season's mindset of "we cannot allow the opposing team to score one or two goals" implying we won't be scoring enough to win games.

This was not the mindset we started the year with and the players looked quite liberated. Mistakes existed but guys felt they could impact the opponent and score. And they did.

They fought for one another, Garland and co. were defended/protected (think the Gibson incident).

But here we have reverted to the mindset of the last 3 years ie. playing for not conceding goals, trying not to lose games rather than playing to score goals and trying to win games.

I can imagine that to impose this mindset to the players days in days out, probably makes them play constantly worrying about making mistakes; therefore they make ridiculous mistakes. It gets them deflated and there is an automatic drop in the desire to battle for one another which we have seen against LA and LA has exploited this to their advantage.

I am also not a big fan of the "I don't worry about the four games, I worry about the first period against Anaheim". I mean........ why even"worry"?

If you are worried Rick, so will the players.

We do not have a superstar who can just lead the way with full confidence/ego irrelevant of what happens, what is said, someone capable of taking the rest of the team with him during a game.

What we have is some seriously talented players, some decent veterans who needs to be on the ice with a clear positive mind. We have witnessed many times how overthinking can affect the way they are playing (think OEL, Schmaltz, Keller...)

Perhaps there are good reasons for Tocchet to be frustrated, sure. But he is turning this frustration into negativity and this won't lead to anything good.

His time with the Coyotes is ending, we all know it, so does he. I wish we would move on now but understand we probably won't for financial and PR reasons.

So Rick, just have fun. Don't worry too much. Be positive.

Ps. Thinking about Hayton for example, whilst I believe he has been good enough to play in this team, and learn the NHL game, boy do I hope that he stays away from that mindset.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What a negative presser.

I understand what Tocchet is saying there and forensically it is correct: a couple of ill judged moments by the players cost 2 goals.

But this presser confirms that we have completely reverted to previous season's mindset of "we cannot allow the opposing team to score one or two goals" implying we won't be scoring enough to win games.

This was not the mindset we started the year with and the players looked quite liberated. Mistakes existed but guys felt they could impact the opponent and score. And they did.

They fought for one another, Garland and co. were defended/protected (think the Gibson incident).

But here we have reverted to the mindset of the last 3 years ie. playing for not conceding goals, trying not to lose games rather than playing to score goals and trying to win games.

I can imagine that to impose this mindset to the players days in days out, probably makes them play constantly worrying about making mistakes; therefore they make ridiculous mistakes. It gets them deflated and there is an automatic drop in the desire to battle for one another which we have seen against LA and LA has exploited this to their advantage.

I am also not a big fan of the "I don't worry about the four games, I worry about the first period against Anaheim". I mean........ why even"worry"?

If you are worried Rick, so will the players.

We do not have a superstar who can just lead the way with full confidence/ego irrelevant of what happens, what is said, someone capable of taking the rest of the team with him during a game.

What we have is some seriously talented players, some decent veterans who needs to be on the ice with a clear positive mind. We have witnessed many times how overthinking can affect the way they are playing (think OEL, Schmaltz, Keller...)

Perhaps there are good reasons for Tocchet to be frustrated, sure. But he is turning this frustration into negativity and this won't lead to anything good.

His time with the Coyotes is ending, we all know it, so does he. I wish we would move on now but understand we probably won't for financial and PR reasons.

So Rick, just have fun. Don't worry too much. Be positive.

Ps. Thinking about Hayton for example, whilst I believe he has been good enough to play in this team, and learn the NHL game, boy do I hope that he stays away from that mindset.
Yet two games ago everyone was all smiles and doing cartwheels over how well we played in the Blue's seven games. You guys are like the wind and change direction on this team almost every game. We are a bubble team, will have our ups and downs and I will be pleased if we make the playoffs, but I would not bet on it. I'm very pleased with the young guys taking that next step, now they just have to play more consistently at that high level which I think they are. Coaches always say, never get to high after a win, or too low after a loss. I think the majority of posters here should do the same.:)

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Clown’s over working Kuemper, while leaving Hill to molder.

Clown asks for a challenge that can’t be won.

Clown’s not playing Hayton (we’re better with him).

Clown’s irritating and needs to go.

clown is right though, sans a couple stupid gaffs, we outplayed the Kings tonight.

Someone does need to stand up for Garland though, if not, we’ll start to see Schmaltz as a perimeter only guy and Keller will further regress, not to mention the obvious repercussions for offensive output and potential injury.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Coaches always say, never get to high after a win, or too low after a loss. I think the majority of posters here should do the same.:)

Really? If so ,this would be the dullest of all forums. I mean we would then only "feast" from insight and opinions like this:

We are a bubble team, will have our ups and downs and I will be pleased if we make the playoffs, but I would not bet on it.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Clown’s over working Kuemper, while leaving Hill to molder.

Clown asks for a challenge that can’t be won.

Clown’s not playing Hayton (we’re better with him).

Clown’s irritating and needs to go.

clown is right though, sans a couple stupid gaffs, we outplayed the Kings tonight.

Someone does need to stand up for Garland though, if not, we’ll start to see Schmaltz as a perimeter only guy and Keller will further regress, not to mention the obvious repercussions for offensive output and potential injury.
Bingo.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
$3,100 fine for the cross check on Garland.

That'll learn him! Don't give me this garbage that the NHL is serious about head injuries.
I think that was the maximum they could fine him because it was his first offense and how long or how many games he has played in the NHL. I think I read somewhere that a fine is first before they can suspend someone. If that is true it's stupid. The refs didn't help either. Man the officiating has gone from bad to worse in the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Really? If so ,this would be the dullest of all forums. I mean we would then only "feast" from insight and opinions like this:
I don't think it would be dull at all, but it would make people look less stupid than they are now with changing their minds almost every game, and some times every shift. Each to their own though.:)

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The refs didn't help either. Man the officiating has gone from bad to worse in the NHL.
I’ve mostly felt NHL officials do a good job, not perfect, but considering the difficulty, decent. However, this season has been different. The Garland situation is most egregious, but there have been a seemingly larger than normal number of calls / non-calls that are questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIGs Dog

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Refs didn't have much of a normal preseason, or continuity from last season. It shows on the ice, and always remember as an entertainment league we are going to see officiating protect some players more than others. I will be more concerned if we are still having this conversation in 6 weeks. I appreciate RT for what he did, the team is much better now than a couple of years ago but it is time for someone new. Everyone knows it, its got to be hard for all involved to wait for the end of the season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’ve mostly felt NHL officials do a good job, not perfect, but considering the difficulty, decent. However, this season has been different. The Garland situation is most egregious, but there have been a seemingly larger than normal number of calls / non-calls that are questionable.
I have thought for years the NHL officiating has been very poor. Cross checking in front of the net has been going on for years, and never gets called. Consistency is also non existent, not only game to game, but period to period. It is a difficult job, no doubt about that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I totally agree. I feel like generally there's only a few times per season when I get really bothered by officiating quality. This season, though, I've wanted to comment nearly every game that it's been bad. I think apart from Garland taking a beating for no good reason, it's been pretty bad both ways though. I think it's mostly evened out, but has generally been quite poor. The Garland stuff has to stop though. The Coyotes need to be putting together a tape and sending it to the league.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I totally agree. I feel like generally there's only a few times per season when I get really bothered by officiating quality. This season, though, I've wanted to comment nearly every game that it's been bad. I think apart from Garland taking a beating for no good reason, it's been pretty bad both ways though. I think it's mostly evened out, but has generally been quite poor. The Garland stuff has to stop though. The Coyotes need to be putting together a tape and sending it to the league.

Oh yea... and a note with that tape saying something like "Hey, you wanna sell the game to Arizona, right? Then you need to have players like Garland who fans love to watch. You can't be letting him get injured because the league isn't doing all they can to make sure he's given the calls that are earned."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->