GDT: Game 17: Vegas Golden Knights @ Toronto Maple Leafs | 4:00PM | More realistic VGK effort edition

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lol I never said will ruin his future as a star center (maybe one time on a post game beer drunk rant) what I said and have continued to say is the current status quo can inhibit his potential to get there. The problem with this "he'll be fine" logic is it presupposes that every promising young player will reach their potential cap regardless of the circumstances regarding their development. Under that logic why not just throw every top pick right into the NHL and just let them figure it out?

Can Glass figure out how to be a 1C in spite of being placed in a situation that does not foster that style of play or adapt him to the requisite responsibilities of the position, or even develop his NHL level offensive game? Sure. It can happen. He's talented and smart enough. But when considering what is best for maximizing his potential and minimizing the risk of any regression from his potential cap, this sure as **** ain't it. And all because we couldn't fathom the atrocity of trying to move a pending UFA with zero goals to the wing. Or maybe try a new lineup that lets Glass play with competent forward talents.

But I never tried to suggest that if he doesn't get off the third line wing he can't possibly hit his potential cap. It's just gonna be harder for him to get there and in having that difficulty and playing with guys who might as well not have sticks in the offensive zone, there is at least some risk that the present situation could harm his top end potential. And I don't think it's a risk worth taking with a top prospect with star upside.

I dump these walls of text specifically so I'm not misunderstood but clearly I've failed. If I actually believed Glass was doomed I could make my point with a single line: "Glass is doomed and Gallant is the one who killed him" but that's not the kind of thing I say.

Edit: also why is it a rookie's job to make our third scoring line work? Why isn't it the coach's job to notice its not working? Glass can't make Pirri and Eakin make better decisions with the puck. He just can't. There's a reason why Glass looks like an actually useful player on the powerplay or when by happenstance a top 6 player ends up on his line or he ends up on one of their's cause of a transitional line change, but 5 on 5 with the third line he mostly disappears in the shift to shift tradition of running around the ice cause the third line can't hold possession. Like I said. If Eakin and Pirri can't competently sustain offensive zone time let alone a set play then at least let Glass have the center spot.

I mean can you tell me what benefit we're getting from Eakin in 5 on 5 play?

Firstly, should've kept Haula and Bellemare instead of Pirri and Eakin.

Then, we should find a way to trade Eakin to get some cap relief for a defenseman earlier. Honestly, it puts Glass at center and gives him at worst another offensive nothing to work with. We have many players capable on the penalty kill.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Firstly, should've kept Haula and Bellemare instead of Pirri and Eakin.

Then, we should find a way to trade Eakin to get some cap relief for a defenseman earlier. Honestly, it puts Glass at center and gives him at worst another offensive nothing to work with. We have many players capable on the penalty kill.

The best thing to do would be to move Eakin down to the 4th line the next time you send Roy down. He isn't adding any offense so I don't see the point of keeping him at 3C. He isn't doing anything for the 3rd; perhaps he can make the 4th more dangerous.

Reactions: Vegas07 and GKG18

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
The best thing to do would be to move Eakin down to the 4th line the next time you send Roy down. He isn't adding any offense so I don't see the point of keeping him at 3C. He isn't doing anything for the 3rd; perhaps he can make the 4th more dangerous.
I don't disagree with that.... Putting Glass at 3C. Eakin needs to work his way out of this funk without dragging down the 3rd line.

Reactions: Vegas07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->