Pre-Game Talk: Game #17: Vancouver Canucks @ Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday, Nov. 5th 6:00PM - SNET-PAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
the road trip was grueling in terms on travel, but certainty not grueling in terms of quality of opponent. st. louis and pittsburgh were the only strong teams the canucks faced

Are you serious? Every game you have to battle out no matter opposition, every team is in the same boat as us too with "easier" opponents. Canucks do NOT have one of easiest schedules in league.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Nashville scored the first three goals and still lost a few days ago though, I'm scared

Just gotta get in Smith's head, dude's a Cloutier-level spaz. A couple glides through his kitchen and he'll be more concerned with hacking and blocker shots than watching the puck.

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
I never said they do, all i'm saying is that they have had one of the easier schedules SO FAR. go look at the records of the teams they have faced and you will see why that is

Like I said, every team has been in games with those "easier" opponents. Doesn't mean Canucks have a easier schedule, far from it.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
we tied pittsburgh and beat the blues. san jose are in our heads and we had a flat game against detroit. a hot goalie beat us in columbus. that's basically the long and the short of this season: it's very premature to say we won't come out of this roadtrip well. the question simply hasn't been asked yet.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The canucks have had the 3rd easiest schedule so far in the conference and easiest schedule so far in the division. Even with the ease of schedule and games in hand they are still behind the sharks, ducks, and coyotes while the kings are nearly tied with us despite having one of the tougher schedules. sorry for being pessimistic realistic

How do you quantify that? There's a strength of schedule stat on hockey-reference.com that I've found pretty accurate in the past and it has the Canucks' schedule so far as the 16th toughest in the league, so about average.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they've had a hugely easy schedule from, other than your own imagination.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
How do you quantify that? There's a strength of schedule stat on hockey-reference.com that I've found pretty accurate in the past and it has the Canucks' schedule so far as the 16th toughest in the league, so about average.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they've had a hugely easy schedule from, other than your own imagination.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/westernsospg.html

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Phoenix is a very, very good team this year... but they're also one I think we play extremely well. I have confidence going into tomorrow.

Watch for OEL to play every.single.shift against Beastmodo. I remember him being a veritable shadow to the Twins in the games v PHX last year. Fantastic defender.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

That's not a particularly rigorous methodology, given that it simply takes a team's record over a tiny sample and uses that to judge strength. I don't think anyone would try to argue with a straight face that the Blackhawks are only the 7th toughest opponent in the Western Conference this year.

Using that site's standard, this schedule:

@CHI
@STL
@EDM
@CHI

is less difficult than this one:

vs. CGY
vs. NSH
vs. TOR
vs. MIN

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Using that site's standard, this schedule:

@CHI
@STL
@EDM
@CHI

is less difficult than this one:

vs. CGY
vs. NSH
vs. TOR
vs. MIN
you're using a 4 game sample size when one of those groups has a giant outlier and the other doesn't. we're almost a quarter of the way in so it will smooth out more.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
2 San Jose meetings in the next 5 game span = Time to whip out the hard liqour.

Ron-Swanson-drinking.gif

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Im looking forward to this trip, it's going to be a great test and it's nice to see every non Alberta team in the division in such a short period. Tough games for sure and they'll be able to set the match ups so Torts will be tested. I think we beat Phoenix.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Family friends are in Phoenix for the week so they'll be attending this game. Hoping for a good game for their sake.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
So much pessimism here for this road trip. The Canucks aren't exactly pushovers this season. There is still the Jekyl and Hyde thing the Nucks do so well: The hungry Killer Canucks and the one that only shows up for 1/4 of a period, but we are seeing more Killer and less surrender. Phoenix is good, but they are not at a level where the Canucks cant take it to them.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
We can certainly beat pheonix, ducks, or la.

San jose we just dont match up well against, and in the tank to boot. Of course anything is possible and we may beat them, but I dont like our chances.

Last year against l.a. we had a winning record and actually that afternoon game i remember we were an injury depleted line up i think ebbett was our 2c and we won the game with strong d and goal tending. The one game they won they tied up with seconds left and won in the shootout. This team played the kings well last year in the regular season.

Pheonix is a very good team and can beat us, but they have surrendered goals early, if you get off to a good start and can hold the lead and stay out of the box (pheonix has one of the best at home PP's) we can win this game. Im more worried about pheonix then the ducks honestly.

Ducks are similar to us, some injuries and a depleted line up at the moment, but they dont look monstrous, they are battling to get wins, they were holding on the last half of the game to beat the rangers. No real easy games for the ducks lately, they have to work hard to eek out wins.

Not to say i think we will win, those teams can beat us, but after coming off a good showing saturday i would think people would have some hope we can beat most of these teams.

Of course i can be wrong analyzing games, i for instance thought we had a guaranteed loss to the blues and we won.

Last edited:

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
More of a pre-road trip comment than simply pre-game:

I would be happy if they went 1-3 on this trip as long as that one win comes in SJ :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad