Pre-Game Talk: Game #17: Vancouver Canucks @ Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday, Nov. 5th 6:00PM - SNET-PAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I very much enjoy that Torts isnt afraid to promote based on play. Good on Archibald for his play up to this point. I do really hope he can keep it going.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
---------------------------------

@ElliottPap5m
Top 3 Nux lines in practice today: twins-Kesler; Higg-Santo-Burr; Archibald-Rich-Kassian.

I know they've played well, and I know we have massive forward injury issues, but that is still not an acceptable second line for a contending team. It's a great third line, and that third line is a great fourth line.

Booth, Hansen, Schroeder coming back should help, but even still none of those guys are for sure second liners. Have to cobble lines together and hope maybe for a trade to upgrade the position.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I know they've played well, and I know we have massive forward injury issues, but that is still not an acceptable second line for a contending team. It's a great third line, and that third line is a great fourth line.

Booth, Hansen, Schroeder coming back should help, but even still none of those guys are for sure second liners. Have to cobble lines together and hope maybe for a trade to upgrade the position.

Agreed. The team is doing fine right now like this but contending for a Cup like this is a completely different story.

Someone on the main boards suggested trading for Lecavalier. I like that idea. He would change the complexion of the forward group completely. You could so so many things with the top 6.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Lecavalier - Kesler

Higgins - H. Sedin - Kessler
D. Sedin - Lecavalier - Burrows

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kesler
Higgins - Lecavalier - Burrows

He'd also help the PP so much by either bolstering the 2nd unit, allowing Kesler to move down and bolster the 2nd unit or making the 1st unit even better and more stacked.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
^ Apparently they cloned Tanev, he's playing with Hamhuis AND Stanton.
:sarcasm:

harsh toke for bieksa

It only makes sense if it were phrased as "We were hoping that Edler was to be playing at OEL's level at this point".

They play completely different games. If you ever wished Edler was going to be an OEL type player, then you need to watch the game more.

What a stupid comment.

Closest comparable to another high quality d-man I can think of is the defenseman that plays for the Red Wings ... Kronwall. I remember when Edler had his #beastmode moments the comparisons were to the other Swedish guy that played there just retired a few years ago.

i think the guy most of us were hoping edler would become was what ohlund was on the cusp of becoming, before the eye injuries. mobile for a big guy, really good vision, elite PP QB, tough as nails take-no-prisoners viking, calm, calming, smart.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There has been a lot of commentary about a lack of depth league wide ... so the fact our second line is more of an elite third line, and our third line would be a high-quality fourth line seems to be norms (with a few exceptions obviously). You win with what you got.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
i think the guy most of us were hoping edler would become was what ohlund was on the cusp of becoming, before the eye injuries. mobile for a big guy, really good vision, elite PP QB, tough as nails take-no-prisoners viking, calm, calming, smart.

Man Ohlund threw some huge hits too, he was awesome.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
There has been a lot of commentary about a lack of depth league wide ... so the fact our second line is more of an elite third line, and our third line would be a high-quality fourth line seems to be norms (with a few exceptions obviously). You win with what you got.

You're right, let's put expansion teams in New Mexico and Nevada.

#Bettman

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
It comes down to the decisions we make for spread of talent. When completely healthy I would argue that if we choose to keep the super line together it leaves us a weak 2nd line, an elite 3rd line and an average 3rd line in our bottom 9.

Burrows-Santo-Hansen --> Weak 2nd
Higgins-Richardson-Kassian --> Elite 3rd
Booth-Schroeder-Weise --> Average 3rd

Overall that is still a strong bottom 9, and the 2nd line can become significantly stronger if we decide to split the big 3 up. But it comes down to the decision do we want to have a first line among the best in the league or would we rather spread the talent out through the lineup. When healthy with most guys playing to they potential, this team has no problems with depth.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Agreed. The team is doing fine right now like this but contending for a Cup like this is a completely different story.

Someone on the main boards suggested trading for Lecavalier. I like that idea. He would change the complexion of the forward group completely. You could so so many things with the top 6.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Lecavalier - Kesler

Higgins - H. Sedin - Kessler
D. Sedin - Lecavalier - Burrows

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kesler
Higgins - Lecavalier - Burrows

He'd also help the PP so much by either bolstering the 2nd unit, allowing Kesler to move down and bolster the 2nd unit or making the 1st unit even better and more stacked.

Im fully behind this idea. With Philly crashing and burning in spectacular fashion, they'll be selling soon. Vinny won a cup with Torts and knows his system.....this is so crazy it might just work :amazed:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Im fully behind this idea. With Philly crashing and burning in spectacular fashion, they'll be selling soon. Vinny won a cup with Torts and knows his system.....this is so crazy it might just work :amazed:

Yep, the Cup win and familiarity with Torts came to my mind too. I'm usually not for going all in on a trade because so many of these kind of trades end up being a waste of futures and other assets but this move just makes a ton of sense to me.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
they are playing 3 better teams, and a team that is pretty much equal, so i think i am being fair

Yeah that's a perfectly fair assessment for a team going up against three better teams one one equal, so your assessment assuming that is true isn't pessimistic at all.

Nope, no pessimism to speak of.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah that's a perfectly fair assessment for a team going up against three better teams one one equal, so your assessment assuming that is true isn't pessimistic at all.

Noooooo!!
science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Book-Guy-631.jpg

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Easiest game on the road trip... must win. Don't like our chances with the next 3 games after this.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver

The canucks have had the 3rd easiest schedule so far in the conference and easiest schedule so far in the division. Even with the ease of schedule and games in hand they are still behind the sharks, ducks, and coyotes while the kings are nearly tied with us despite having one of the tougher schedules. sorry for being pessimistic realistic

Shinkaruk

Jul 13, 2013
Ontario
The canucks have had the 3rd easiest schedule so far in the conference and easiest schedule so far in the division. Even with the ease of schedule and games in hand they are still behind the sharks, ducks, and coyotes while the kings are nearly tied with us despite having one of the tougher schedules. sorry for being pessimistic realistic

Can you back that up? I am pretty sure they have had one of the hardest schedules to start off with in league.
5-1-1 on a road trip that was 7 games in like 14 days. Pretty ridiculous. Ducks only team in our division to go on a road trip of that length. However they did NOT have two back to backs within road trip and went 4-2-1 (they have extra game though).

This upcoming road trip will show what we are capable of, and I am sure this team is ready for the test.

Edit: No other team in Western conference besides Ducks and Canucks have done 7/8 game road trip, Nashville started theirs two games ago. And then there is the obvious, Canucks have played more games than anyone in league continuously in the start of season. Still tied with most games (buffalo).

Last edited:

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Can you back that up?
5-1-1 on a road trip that was 7 games in like 14 days. Pretty ridiculous. This road trip will show what we are capable of, and I am sure this team is ready for the test.

the road trip was grueling in terms on travel, but certainty not grueling in terms of quality of opponent. st. louis and pittsburgh were the only strong teams the canucks faced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad