GDT: Game 17|NY Strangers @ (1st place) Columbus Blue Jackets Nov 10, 2018

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
A friend is convinced Panarin is sandbagging. He certainly appears to be approaching the games with all the intensity of a summertime beach volleyball game with old friends.

The crazy tear he went on to begin the season had me excited if the plan was to keep him the entire season.

Now I'm just hoping its a random slump. On the bright side Bob is getting back to normal..

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
While I'm no fan of overplaying players, TOI is the one area where a coach can make his point to players.

Duclair is 23 years old and in his 4th NHL organization. Yes he's scored 7 goals, but a lot of them have been fluky. He's likely not in his 4th organization because he listened to all of his previous coaches too closely.

I'm not saying he's a problem, but I would almost blindly side with Torts in this case given his history.

At this point in the season, process is probably more important than results. It's the time of the season where a coach can wield his most influence on the season as a whole. Nothing wrong with doing that with Duclair and others-though I'd really like the leash on Bjorkstrand to be loosened.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
A friend is convinced Panarin is sandbagging. He certainly appears to be approaching the games with all the intensity of a summertime beach volleyball game with old friends.
I got huuuge Tavares vibes. "Play safe to not get injured. " But that dude waited for at least January to start doing this.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
While I'm no fan of overplaying players, TOI is the one area where a coach can make his point to players.

Duclair is 23 years old and in his 4th NHL organization. Yes he's scored 7 goals, but a lot of them have been fluky. He's likely not in his 4th organization because he listened to all of his previous coaches too closely.

I'm not saying he's a problem, but I would almost blindly side with Torts in this case given his history.

At this point in the season, process is probably more important than results. It's the time of the season where a coach can wield his most influence on the season as a whole. Nothing wrong with doing that with Duclair and others-thought I'd really like the leash on Bjorkstrand to be loosened.

Agree to disagree.

Last time I checked, a goal was a goal regardless of if it was ‘fluky’ or not. He put himself in position to score on each goal, and he did just that. There’s a reason why he is tied for the team lead in goals. He is a goal scorer a la Oliver Bjorkstrand. Goal scorers run in hot/cold streaks. I get that he was a -3 in under 6 mins TOI last night but playing Duke only 6 minutes a game is a problem, not a solution.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Agree to disagree.

Last time I checked, a goal was a goal regardless of if it was ‘fluky’ or not. He put himself in position to score on each goal, and he did just that. There’s a reason why he is tied for the team lead in goals. He is a goal scorer a la Oliver Bjorkstrand. Goal scorers run in hot/cold streaks. I get that he was a -3 in under 6 mins TOI last night but playing Duke only 6 minutes a game is a problem, not a solution.
It is a problem, but it's of his own making because the guy needs to do better defensively. We're not going to win on the strength of elite forward scoring; we need the blueline to be able to pinch in. And that requires that forwards do their jobs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I got huuuge Tavares vibes. "Play safe to not get injured. " But that dude waited for at least January to start doing this.

I don't buy it. If Panarin is super concerned about his finances, and staying healthy for a deal, he'll also be inclined to work something out with a team sooner than next summer. Instead he's committed to not signing here or anywhere. He also doesn't have a track record like Tavares, his reputation can't afford an off year.

It does look like Panarin is trying to avoid contact more, and playing gingerly, but that's probably just a small player trying to avoid getting crushed in a very long season playing 20+ mins a night. His upcoming free agency should make him play harder, not weaker.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Aliens.jpg

IMO, anyone thinking Panarin is dogging it or playing safe is out of their minds. He's out there playing as hard or harder than anyone else out there. All skill players except maybe #99 have ebbs and flows in their game where they score in bunches and have other runs where the points dry up. I don't know that I've seen him take a shift off the entire time he's been in Columbus.

If anything, I think he's trying a little too hard to do too much - including deferring to his linemates too often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad