Game #17: Kings vs. Canucks - 11/9/13 - Regulation Win! 5-1 Victory!

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
I understand that you're not trying to put Brown down, but what you're suggesting would disrupt the team chemistry more than it would help it.

I wasn't honestly suggesting Sutter rip off Brown's C tonight and give it to Richards. I was celebrating the leadership qualities of a player who happened to have a great game tonight. Aren't these threads pretty much made for knee jerk reactions anyway?

KingKopitar11*

If we called up Pearson, I would love for the lines to be:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Richards-Toffoli
King-Vey-Nolan

Richards always works well with the rookies and Vey already has good chemistry with Nolan. King would add to that since he plays well with Nolan too. But Sutter will probably put Pearson on the 4th line if he is called up :/

Plus, If Carter or Stoll is coming back soon, they may not call up anyone and work with what they have.

I'd have Stoll take 4c and have Vey take 3C because he's too talented to be on the fourth. And we should move a right winger or something to keep up Toffoli when Carter comes back. Our team will be great with all these guys in play.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
We have a real leader, and his name is Dustin Brown. QUOTE]

THe Kings are blessed with several leaders, including Brown, no team can be successful with ' a leader' it doesn't work that way. . Mike Richards coming to this team, with all the right stuff, and playoff, Cup experience, being in 2 dozen elimination games, etc. all helped to ease the burden a bit for Brown. And I'm sure it wasn't easy for Richards to leave the role he loved and go into a new team with an established leadership group. That was an adujustment for him, and not an easy one.

And having so many leaders to support him makes wearing that C a lot easier for Brown. And he's said that on several occasions You look at WIlliams, the guy who closed the door before game 6 of the SCF and made an emotional speech and the team fed off that and played lights out. He's the guy who was all world in game 7 vs Sharks when the needed it. And the leader in him was very evident post game 6 loss to the Hawks when he was asked if he was proud of twhat the team accomplished and said that they didn't accomplish what they set out to do and it left a bitter taste in his mouth. That's a leader. Then there's Mitchell, whose leadership on and off the ice was a huge loss last year and Greene, a guy (who others players have said) is very vocal in that lockerroom and will get into someone's face if he has to.

Mike Richards is a natural born leader, has been since he laced his first pair of skates. When he's healthy, which he has been this year, it makes all the difference, esp in critical moments, like tonight when the really needed 2 pts. Because of the way he plays, and how hard he competes, he earns the respect of the teammates on whatever team he's playing for. The love playing with him. It's a large part of why he wins championships everywhere he's played. He'll do that until he retires; he's got a C on his chest, whether or not he ever gets another on a sweater is not relevant and won't change how effective he is, how a team will willingly follow him or how he'll remain a total money player when it's all on the line. He just loves to bleed hard for his team and teammates.

Believe me, you're lucky to have such a special group. You have no idea how hard it is to watch the Flyers team which has no leadership, something that caused them to fail in the 2012 playoffs, and play piss poor last year and this year. This team has been (credit to CBC a couple weeks ago for this ) 'bleeding leadership since Richards was traded'

The void of him is painful to experience. Just continue to celebrate how special he is and how well he fits into the Kings team and relishes his role there.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For those looking to watch some clips from the CBC feed, some links below.

1st Period Analysis:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2417012159/

Close Up on Jonathan Quick:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2417019552/

Game highlights with what I find to be the worst song I have ever heard:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2417020104/

After Hours with Drew Doughty:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/CBC's+Hockey+Night+in+Canada/ID/2417019503/

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Beautiful game all around!

Anyone see when Clifford got rocked?

Watching a replay of the game right now, looked like there was a collision in the corner boards in the offensive where Clifford took a spill. It was around 18:00 minute mark. He didn't appear to be woozy from the hit.

Saw him just take another shift at around the 6:00 minute mark in the 1st. He saw a little over 4 mins of ice time so something must have been bothering him. Haven't seen him get rocked yet in the replay that I'm watching.

Last edited:

HolyShot*

thank god you're not our GM. Stamkos would be a great second line C.

Does Stamkos bring what Richards does? Stamkos has a ton of skill and a great shot, but don't you think that trading Richards and acquiring Stamkos would screw with the chemistry that this team is trying to develop?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
So the Kings are 18K under the CAP. Dean has some serious thinking to do on making the right decisions on what players are the best fit for this team going forward.

HolyShot*

THe Kings are blessed with several leaders, including Brown, no team can be successful with ' a leader' it doesn't work that way. . Mike Richards coming to this team, with all the right stuff, and playoff, Cup experience, being in 2 dozen elimination games, etc. all helped to ease the burden a bit for Brown. And I'm sure it wasn't easy for Richards to leave the role he loved and go into a new team with an established leadership group. That was an adujustment for him, and not an easy one.

And having so many leaders to support him makes wearing that C a lot easier for Brown. And he's said that on several occasions You look at WIlliams, the guy who closed the door before game 6 of the SCF and made an emotional speech and the team fed off that and played lights out. He's the guy who was all world in game 7 vs Sharks when the needed it. And the leader in him was very evident post game 6 loss to the Hawks when he was asked if he was proud of twhat the team accomplished and said that they didn't accomplish what they set out to do and it left a bitter taste in his mouth. That's a leader. Then there's Mitchell, whose leadership on and off the ice was a huge loss last year and Greene, a guy (who others players have said) is very vocal in that lockerroom and will get into someone's face if he has to.

Mike Richards is a natural born leader, has been since he laced his first pair of skates. When he's healthy, which he has been this year, it makes all the difference, esp in critical moments, like tonight when the really needed 2 pts. Because of the way he plays, and how hard he competes, he earns the respect of the teammates on whatever team he's playing for. The love playing with him. It's a large part of why he wins championships everywhere he's played. He'll do that until he retires; he's got a C on his chest, whether or not he ever gets another on a sweater is not relevant and won't change how effective he is, how a team will willingly follow him or how he'll remain a total money player when it's all on the line. He just loves to bleed hard for his team and teammates.

Believe me, you're lucky to have such a special group. You have no idea how hard it is to watch the Flyers team which has no leadership, something that caused them to fail in the 2012 playoffs, and play piss poor last year and this year. This team has been (credit to CBC a couple weeks ago for this ) 'bleeding leadership since Richards was traded'

The void of him is painful to experience. Just continue to celebrate how special he is and how well he fits into the Kings team and relishes his role there.

Leaders are overrated in hockey. Coaches just want somebody in the room who will actually give a **** when things aren't going good.

HolyShot*

So the Kings are 18K under the CAP. Dean has some serious thinking to do on making the right decisions on what players are the best fit for this team going forward.

Like keeping Vey and Toffoli up, and trading Stoll. This would require that the top 9 be reorganized. Not an easy task for DL and Sutter.

HolyShot*

Not if your goal is to build a championship team and be a Cup contender and winner. You can't win without them.

Please bro, all that a leader does is tell the guys to give it their all. And if it's a good leader, the guys listen. If it's a bad leader, the guys turn their backs and don't give an effort. There aren't really any impactful speeches that players give in the locker room. Sure, they may talk to the team and get them back on course, but there's no MLK type **** going on. You've been watching Miracle too much. Stick to Slapshot.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Like keeping Vey and Toffoli up, and trading Stoll. This would require that the top 9 be reorganized. Not an easy task for DL and Sutter.

No, it's not an easy task. And a part of me fears that Sutter and DL are too attached to grinders. And how many times has DL said how important it was/is for him to keep the Cup team together? The core of that team, yes, that's what elite teams do. But there are players who should be moved, esp to keep TT for sure and Vey.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Please bro, all that a leader does is tell the guys to give it their all. And if it's a good leader, the guys listen. If it's a bad leader, the guys turn their backs and don't give an effort. There aren't really any impactful speeches that players give in the locker room. Sure, they may talk to the team and get them back on course, but there's no MLK type **** going on. You've been watching Miracle too much. Stick to Slapshot.

First of all, I am not a 'bro', I'm a female fan. And my statement regarding leadership is not based on a movie, why would it be? Dumb comment on your part.
It's based on why teams win, and continue to win. You can't make somebody do something by 'telling them.' Showing them, by what level you compete at, esp in critical games , putting up the points when the teams needs that goal or blocked shot, or any critical play, is why certain players are known for their leadership. They're 'money players'
And Richards is that guy, or he wouldn't have more team trophy hardware then anybody in the sport. (NHL Aug 2012' mike Richards is the only player in the history of the NHL whose won a championship at eveyr level.) With the Flyers, he won them a Calder cup , got them to 2 Cond Finals and SCF just after he turned 25. they trade him and the new team, the Kings, get to 2 WCF's and SCF.
He gets it done by putting his blood ,sweat and guts into every shift and scoring when it 's needed, he has (NBC June 2013) more playoff points since 2010 than any other NHL player

A real leader doesn't 'tell a guy to give it their all' as you ineptly pointed out. You don't tell somebody do that, you go out and do it yourself, shift and shift, busting your tail and getting it done. Leaders lead...teammates follow...and so do championships

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Did anyone else notice in the first period when Regehr skated the puck on the rush blue line to blue line, then chipped it deep and went after it hard on the forecheck, laying the body. I couldn't believe my eyes, maybe he is just now getting to learn Sutter's system, and is looking much better the last few games because of it.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
I hope we find a way to make Vey stick with the team, that guy is incredible. What speed and hands on that beautiful assist!

KingKopitar11*

I do agree, maybe it's time stoll and Fraser went out to pasture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->