GDT: Game #17| Feb. 18, 2013|Flyers at Islanders |1:00 p.m. ET

Hanzee Dent

Nov 22, 2010
i was there for that game..

:handclap:

i sooo wanted to get Hexy's autograph after the game, cuz i knew i'd prolly never get the chance again..

sadly it never happened.

I about to say that I was at that game too because I remember my first live NHL game was a destruction of Vancouver. But alas, it was a 6-2 drubbing the following year. The key was I distinctly remember 4 wonderful John Leclair goals and Chris Gratton scoring his first goal of the season in his 22nd game with like a minute left.

Ah memories

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i enjoyed watching the game on GCL when i got home from work.

but im still not convinced this game was anything but a oddball result, until we can replicate this 60 min. effort against good teams.

obviously not expecting this score again anytime soon

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Good game, but tough to gauge against a team like the Islanders. Hopefully they can keep it up and claw their way back into things. Nice to see G get some stat padding going on, and always fun to see a guy like Rinaldo score.

And here I thought that if Rinaldo scored, the refs would just hand out phantom offsetting penalties to Rinaldo and the puck.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
And here I thought that if Rinaldo scored, the refs would just hand out phantom offsetting penalties to Rinaldo and the puck.
Official box score

PHI 03:31 Zac Rinaldo - Roughing (2mins)
NHL 03:31 Hockey Puck - Diving (2mins)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The problem with the second unit is no one wants to/can control the play. Prior to Couturier's feed to Briere, that unit didn't get anything going and it's been like that all year long. Granted they don't get nearly as much time as the first unit- and I don't blame Lavi with the way they've looked.

Someone needs to step up and control the play. Its like each game someone gets an opportunity and squanders it and then the next guy gets a chance and the cycle continues. Briere, Couturier, Read, or even Gustafsson need to step up.

They also have a serious problem gaining entry into the zone.

I think it was the last two that they finally got set up. They were able to ping it around more. I dont expect the 2nd one to be as good as the first, but I think it got better near the end. Maybe its just me being biased, but I liked Gustafsson at the point there controlling it. Kind of like Timonen does. Didnt have that on the 2nd unit all season. All they would do is throw it back to the point for a Foster one timer to hit someone or go wide. It seems their trying to finally set it up like the 1st unit. Gustaffson is the Timonen, Briere is the Giroux, Read is the Voracek, Couturier is the Schenn and Knuble is the Simmonds. I thought it looked alot better then it has all season long. Will be interesting to see how it does next game though against a better team (even if the Isles pk is/was one of the best)

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Finally a good game, but the Islanders were so bad today that it's hard to judge whether we've actually improved or not. I think the game against the Penguins will be more telling.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Arthur Staple
‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles put Brian Strait on IR with broken ankle, activate Radek Martinek off IR. Strait's season could be done with 6-8 week recovery.

Sucks

That fall looked awkward but I would never have thought a broken ankle! You really have to do some work to break an ankle with a properly tied pair of skates on.

Hanzee Dent

Nov 22, 2010
Not sure I agree with healthy scratching McGinn. he was playing pretty well since the callup

Maybe they thought he needed a breather and a chance to watch. Wouldn't be the first rookie they did that too. The question will be if he's back in there for the next game.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Maybe they thought he needed a breather and a chance to watch. Wouldn't be the first rookie they did that too. The question will be if he's back in there for the next game.

They say he's healthy, but he did take massive cheap head shots in consecutive games last week, so a little rest won't hurt him.

I hope he's back in the lineup, but if he's not then he needs to go back to the AHL soon.

Having him play well, and Harry Z, and Sestito, with Wellwood in the wings, is helping to keep Fedotenko and Talbot motivated....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad