GDT: Game #17| Feb. 18, 2013|Flyers at Islanders |1:00 p.m. ET

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
If we want the cup this year..what do you guys think about trading simmonds for iginla (I think they would be happier to be traded for one another for obvious reasons)..and then flip voracek + for Chara.

I think that makes us a solid team

Yeah, no.

Bruins are not trading their captain and it would take a substantial payment to get him which would make the team worse. Simmonds for Iginla is a terrible move with the contract Iginla has vs the great contract Simmonds has who will be a career 25-30 goal scoring guy who has grit and will protect teammates.

They Flyers just need to roll with what they got. Let the team grow.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Trading young, up and coming talent for old, declining talent isn't what this team needs to be doing.

You dare interfere with the Flyer MO? How disloyal of you!

Seriously, though, it was great seeing (ie, reading about) the Dr. Jekyll show today. I'll be impressed if they give a full 60-minute effort – even in a close loss – to the Penguins.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I actually want them to miss the playoffs this year so that it forces Homer's hand a little more to tweak this team. Sure, I like the talent and a lot of the players individually, but I never really fell in love with this team as a whole.

I just feel like it's a very odd mix...young and inexperienced up front with a lot of grinders and playmakers...sluggish and lumbering on the backend with no offense. Add in the fact that our top dman is very old...I just don't like this mix of players and think we'll get inconsistent results for a very long time with it.
Missing the playoffs won't prompt homer to do anything more than he already will.

There are no players we need that are available for assets we want to lose.

phillyflyer2112*

Missing the playoffs won't prompt homer to do anything more than he already will.

There are no players we need that are available for assets we want to lose.

Sure it will! You know that's a bunch of malarky!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
With this game, I am pretty certain most will agree with me that Giroux has nudged up past Shelley into next-to-worst NHL player standing. At the very least, he has upped his trade value to a 5th round pick. Well, a late 5th, but still ...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Good game, but tough to gauge against a team like the Islanders. Hopefully they can keep it up and claw their way back into things. Nice to see G get some stat padding going on, and always fun to see a guy like Rinaldo score.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Believe it or not the Isle have a good team over there. Today was an anomaly for them, for sure. The last time I watched them, they were very fast and dangerous, but we won the game. Late last year I think

drownedsailors

Sep 25, 2010
Earth
Why do I keep hearing about this "Giroux speech" and his comments about the team? Did I miss something? Was this after the Montreal game?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
One good thing to see was the 2nd PP doing a good job. Were not as clean as the first but have a very similar setup with the players they have put there.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i think its safe to say Schenn has established himself as the 2nd line center for now and the future.

Vorcek is a legit first line winger imo.

Read needs to be extended.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
One good thing to see was the 2nd PP doing a good job. Were not as clean as the first but have a very similar setup with the players they have put there.

The 2nd unit could actually be almost as dangerous as the 1st. if the gel Gus can QB Briere does what G does on the top PP, Simmer and Read sounds solid really maybe Couts playing the other point, if they do gel it would be sweet

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

The problem with the second unit is no one wants to/can control the play. Prior to Couturier's feed to Briere, that unit didn't get anything going and it's been like that all year long. Granted they don't get nearly as much time as the first unit- and I don't blame Lavi with the way they've looked.

Someone needs to step up and control the play. Its like each game someone gets an opportunity and squanders it and then the next guy gets a chance and the cycle continues. Briere, Couturier, Read, or even Gustafsson need to step up.

They also have a serious problem gaining entry into the zone.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Arthur Staple
‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles put Brian Strait on IR with broken ankle, activate Radek Martinek off IR. Strait's season could be done with 6-8 week recovery.

Sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad