GDT: Game 17: Coyotes @ Oilers | 2-23-13 | 1:30 PM MST

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Rough game to lose.

But this team is bad without Hanzal. Look at the stats with him in the line-up and without. And Vrbata has been one of our most consistent point producers.

The Korpi-Lambo-Sully line was amusing. Two lightning quick dudes and an old goat.

Our first line really needs to start producing. Doan wasn't bad, but Vermette isn't looking like a offensive centerman and Bods is bad on that line because Doan/Vermette don't compliment him well.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Anyone care to summarize? I forgot about this game and didn't set the dvr.

You were on the right track. I'd go ahead and pretend you never remembered this game. In fact, what are you talking about? The 'Yotes didn't play today. Nothing to see here.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Can't wait til Morris comes back. Our depth at D isn't very good. Rundblad 7 games, -5 plus/minus rating and no points. Stone 10 games, -5 plus/minus rating and no points. Summers 4 games, -2 plus/minus rating and no points.

With the schedule so packed together due to the shorten season, its difficult for Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, and Michalek playing 25+ minutes every other night with guys like Summers racking up only 9.

3rd and 4th line played the best. Good for them, but you aren't going to win most games with that.

Rant post over.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone care to summarize? I forgot about this game and didn't set the dvr.

Coyotes play their best 1st period all year, play the worst 2nd I've ever seen, lose in a shootout.

I think the consecutive slot passes to Yakupov summed up this game nicely. "We're up 2, time to hang Smith out to dry."

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Tough game to lose. Seems we played down to them after we got the 2 goal lead. The shoot-out without Verby is brutal.

Also looked up the ref after the game since I'm still a little ticked on the no penalty shot call when Boeds got hauled down. Not surprised to see Tim Peel's name. He's got to be the worst referee in the league. (Not making any excuses for the loss, just saying he once again missed a blatant call that proved costly)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Coyotes play their best 1st period all year, play the worst 2nd I've ever seen, lose in a shootout.

I think the consecutive slot passes to Yakupov summed up this game nicely. "We're up 2, time to hang Smith out to dry."

Best 1st period? We handled the puck like it was a hand grenade and our most effective line was our 4th line. We were awful. For all the flack we get on our trap the Oilers were just as bad. For a skill team I was underwhelmed by the Oilers. The more skilled team did win the skills competition.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can't wait til Morris comes back. Our depth at D isn't very good. Rundblad 7 games, -5 plus/minus rating and no points. Stone 10 games, -5 plus/minus rating and no points. Summers 4 games, -2 plus/minus rating and no points.

With the schedule so packed together due to the shorten season, its difficult for Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, and Michalek playing 25+ minutes every other night with guys like Summers racking up only 9.

3rd and 4th line played the best. Good for them, but you aren't going to win most games with that.

Rant post over.

And to think we've had a lot of discussions about trading away an experienced dman going into this season. Really highlight how valuable it is to have depth on the blue line.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Best 1st period? We handled the puck like it was a hand grenade and our most effective line was our 4th line. We were awful. For all the flack we get on our trap the Oilers were just as bad. For a skill team I was underwhelmed by the Oilers. The more skilled team did win the skills competition.

Yes, it was a sloppy game for our forwards, but with lombo now back, I think once hanzal and Vrbata return we will be able to roll four lines once again with ease and our scoring will improve substantially.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The injuries are not helping. I think we're deep enough for normal situations, but when your 7-8-9 guys have to log major minutes, you're gonna be in trouble. I mean, Rundblad and Summers? Pair one of them with Klesla or Michalek and they're probably fine, but when they're out there with each other and, say, Nick Johnson and Bissonnette (although they did ok mostly today) that's....not gonna work longer than short term

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Didn't realize how awesome Gangers move was. That was a thing of beauty.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
The injuries are not helping. I think we're deep enough for normal situations, but when your 7-8-9 guys have to log major minutes, you're gonna be in trouble. I mean, Rundblad and Summers? Pair one of them with Klesla or Michalek and they're probably fine, but when they're out there with each other and, say, Nick Johnson and Bissonnette (although they did ok mostly today) that's....not gonna work longer than short term

Indeed. When people are down is also when you need your best players to pick up the slack and make a difference. Yandle's 1 SOG and -1 in 30 minutes of ice time, and Doan's 2 shots aren't going to help much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Missed most of the game, but what happened to Hanzal? His injuries are a area of concern. Is he out long term?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Missed most of the game, but what happened to Hanzal? His injuries are a area of concern. Is he out long term?

Likely day to day. Given that the Coyotes just had 5 days off it's a little concerning as well.

Hanzel plays a great deal of hard minutes and is such a physical player that you are going to see more minor nagging issues with him. One of the reasons I was extremely excited about the selection of Samuellson last year is my belief that he can play some of those hard minutes. Problem is the next two years in which Samuellson is going to need development time to ensure he can skate at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00