GDT: Game #16| Feb. 16, 2013|Flyers at Canadiens |7:00 p.m. ET

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Giroux saying the team is "going through the motions" is equally perilous.

And Knuble also uttered "It's not acceptable, from the last player up to the last guy in the room. No one is happy about it."

Source for both quotes: Sam C.'s twitter.

Giroux's full quote “It’s not acceptable the way we played tonight,. It’s not just two or three guys. It’s the whole team...We didn’t show up.”

kimmofan44

Jul 20, 2011
thorndale pa

And Knuble also uttered "It's not acceptable, from the last player up to the last guy in the room. No one is happy about it."

Giroux's full quote “It’s not acceptable the way we played tonight,. It’s not just two or three guys. It’s the whole team...We didn’t show up.â€

when a team that desperately needs points is "going through the motions" and "didnt show up" that's usually the teams way of showing the owner and GM that they'd are done playing for their coach. if its not their way of showing Snider and Homer its an obvious sign that a change needs to be made in the coaching department.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hits were clean. Giroux never used his still and Armstrong got hit with the puck. I don't think anyone was faking anything but I didn't think anything was remotely dirty or questionable either

I agree. I didn't see all the plays but have no reason to think otherwise. Like I said, stuff happens. The one thing this board doesn't need more of is whiny drama.

Hope the Flyers can turn things around. I heard Hartnell is skating, which is a great sign.

toughfighter83*

i think that it's affecting snider is very bad way right now, i can see him make major changes not just the coach but the gm too because snider cant accept mediocre playing.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Thank goodness I DVR'd the game... fast forwarded through most of the 3rd.

Flyers were very lucky to get the one goal.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
i think that it's affecting snider is very bad way right now, i can see him make major changes not just the coach but the gm too because snider cant accept mediocre playing.

Snider is a big part of the problem. When he says trade someone, Homer has to trade him. I think part of the reason he is so loyal to former Flyers is because he can also manipulate them. As long as he is a hands on owner, the GM won't be able to do his job.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Holmgren is a clone of Bob Clarke....

He'll, he even sounds like Clarke in interviews. The problem with the Flyers is that the whole organization needs to be revamped. The Broad Street Bullies was their history, too bad management has never advanced past those days in the early to mid 70's.
Holmgren needs to go, Laviolette needs players who can do more than a dump & chase routine.
And they must not continue to appoint coaching and managing jobs to old mediocre players like Craig Berube etc.
The organization is entirely mismanaged, except that they continue to make money because we fans support them with blind faith. Now that the true intention behind the NHL was revealed during the latest lockout, perhaps we fans can do our own lockout to the Flyers until some meaningful changes can be done.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

Giroux's full quote “It’s not acceptable the way we played tonight,. It’s not just two or three guys. It’s the whole team...We didn’t show up.”

That's pretty bad, reading between the lines this team is done playing for Lavy, his ship has sailed here, sucks because something dumb is probably coming down the line, knee jerk trade or something Homer-esque

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Didnt get to watch the game due to being out with the lady. How did gus look compared ti fosters play?
Worse to on par, in my opinion. Incredibly shaky defensively. But let's wait and see how the next games go for him, I'm not writing him off just yet. He moved the puck well at the end of the game, but that was about it as far as positives about his play are concerned, unfortunately. From what I've seen today and even though everyone's criticizing him, Gervais is clearly better. I don't know what everyone's problem with him is anyway, because apart from a couple of turnovers, he's playing quite well. Sure, those turnovers are sometimes costly, but he also made some crucial defensive plays.

Still, if there's one thing that frustrates me about our defense is that they just don't know how to clear the puck well. When the Canadiens' defenders swing at the puck, they hit, whereas with us it's always just brushing it, getting it stuck in the opponent or getting into a battle on the boards which we then mostly end up losing. Incredibly frustrating.

Speaking of Montreal's defense, I was quite impressed with Gorges and especially Emelin. I always thought he was just someone who hits well, but he pretty much played a flawless game.

There weren't really many positives to our game tonight, and off the top of my head, I can't think of any apart from the play of Voracek. He wasn't outstanding, either, but I think he clearly stood apart from the pack. B. Schenn's defensive play, on the other hand, is worthy of every criticism. First he's late for coverage because he stops skating, then he turns the puck over and doesn't go cover Plekanec. Fine, you might say he was covering the other guy in front of the net, but still.

And our power play sucks so badly it's not even funny anymore. The first couple of go's we had, we circled the puck really well, but once the opponent figures out that when they start pressuring instead of keeping a tight box, it all just falls apart and we practically get no scoring chances from that point on. I think Tampa's and Winnipeg's penalty kill were prime examples of how to effectively neutralize our power play. Oh, and it was also weird seeing Voracek open on many occasions with his stick ready for a slapshot, but with Timonen just going to Giroux, whose shooting lane was blocked, again and again. What was up with that? :shakehead

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
What's worrying is that there wasn't even a fight or at least some kind of getting under the skin of the habs. There was nothing that would make you think even one of those guys wanted to win this game.

Also looking forward to see Kimo Timonen at $6m next season. He's a big part of why the PP isn't working at all. So slow in the decision making, no shot, not movement.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
we are not as good as chicago. we are not a playoff team this year, clear as day.

This is who we are this year, and expecting anything else is going to be futile. Not only do we have 6 wins this year but look at the teams we have beaten. florida, winipeg, lightning, rangers, and carolina 2 times.

none of those teams are exactly powerhouses this year.

on top of that this is the easy part of our schedule. Look at March. We may only win 2-3 games all of march.

The sooner everyone understands that this year is already lost the better.

I hope people re-read this. I looked at the schedule in Feb and I thought we could go 10-5 and turn things around. We have a VERY easy schedule this month...playing NJ-1, Pitt-1, NYR-0, Bos-0 times. We are now 4-4-1 for the month. We NEED to go 5-1 the rest of the way to make it a good month. With the effort we are seeing, we will go 2-4

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
when a team that desperately needs points is "going through the motions" and "didnt show up" that's usually the teams way of showing the owner and GM that they'd are done playing for their coach. if its not their way of showing Snider and Homer its an obvious sign that a change needs to be made in the coaching department.

I think that's right. It is pretty clear that Laviolette is a mistake and they need to cut bait. They are terrible and he plainly has no answers.

RJ8812*

that's too bad because he's a big part of the problem. The first move I would call for is his retirement

FanHabtic*

Habs outsider coming in peace. From what i saw the Flyers were clearly tired physically and mentally. What was noticeable was how slow the Flyers dmen were in transition both offensively and defensively. I had the feeling that the Habs forwards could skate around them from the outside and cut to the net at will. Not sure if that is common or just the result of a back to back game.

tommymac

Feb 16, 2013
Weakest Flyers team in a while. Infusion of skill players needed. Broad Street Bullies dynamic is obsolete in today's NHL. And farm system is really lacking. Might be some long seasons ahead, unfortunately.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Weakest Flyers team in a while. Infusion of skill players needed. Broad Street Bullies dynamic is obsolete in today's NHL. And farm system is really lacking. Might be some long seasons ahead, unfortunately.

They have 10 1st rounders playing...including 6 top 10 picks. And another 4 2nd rounders. Then also have Timmonen and read as later picks. The skill is there. The system is not.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
They have 10 1st rounders playing...including 6 top 10 picks. And another 4 2nd rounders. Then also have Timmonen and read as later picks. The skill is there. The system is not.

They have skill but not enough high end skill. Giroux is supposed to be that, but hes not playing like that. Otherwise we have some players that have skill (voracek, schenn, read, briere, simmonds, hartnell) but not high end skill. Alot of these teams have 2-3 high end or close to high end skill players. This team has alot of skilled complementary players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think that's right. It is pretty clear that Laviolette is a mistake and they need to cut bait. They are terrible and he plainly has no answers.

How is it clear he was a mistake? He took the team to the Finals.

To say that his time here has probably passed is one thing, but it's laughable to say hiring him was a mistake. Stevens was an utter failure and had to go. Lavi was just what the team needed after him...but as was discussed when he was hired, he's the kind of coach with a short shelf life.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Habs outsider coming in peace. From what i saw the Flyers were clearly tired physically and mentally. What was noticeable was how slow the Flyers dmen were in transition both offensively and defensively. I had the feeling that the Habs forwards could skate around them from the outside and cut to the net at will. Not sure if that is common or just the result of a back to back game.

Fatgiue mattered surely. Then there is the fact that Montreal is kinda small as a group and they are big as a group. When small guys are showing out on big guys that's just usually the way its gonna look. Then there are effort issues...

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
How is it clear he was a mistake? He took the team to the Finals.

To say that his time here has probably passed is one thing, but it's laughable to say hiring him was a mistake. Stevens was an utter failure and had to go. Lavi was just what the team needed after him...but as was discussed when he was hired, he's the kind of coach with a short shelf life.

They got lucky that year benefitting from an epic choke and then weak opponents out of the Conference.

True, guys like him have a short shelf life and it looks to me like it has runs its course here, sadly.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
To those of you who are always asking who is out there that is both available and better than Laviolette - did you predict the Pens would hire Bylsma before anything about him was mentioned in the news? Because I think you guys are severely overestimating your knowledge of not only coaches that are out there, but also how good they are.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They got lucky that year benefitting from an epic choke and then weak opponents out of the Conference.

True, guys like him have a short shelf life and it looks to me like it has runs its course here, sadly.

The guy coached another team to the Finals and they won a Cup. He's taken two different teams to the Finals. That's not luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->