GDT: Game 16: Czech Republic Vs United States | 1PM EST 7PM CET | USA 4 - 3 CZE OT

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doesn't germany need to get at least a point vs Russia still?

I thought it was based on head to head. If both teams have one win, the German's beat the Czech's in the group stage, so they'd be higher in the standings.

I guess it's possible that the last day of games could change the standings. Both teams could win, which could change the standings, but I doubt it. It probably ends that Germany and Czech Republic both have one win.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I thought it was based on head to head. If both teams have one win, the German's beat the Czech's in the group stage, so they'd be higher in the standings.

I guess it's possible that the last day of games could change the standings. Both teams could win, which could change the standings, but I doubt it. It probably ends that Germany and Czech Republic both have one win.
The only way the Czechs go to the relegation games is if the Russia-Germany game goes to OT. Any result in regulation in that game and either Russia or Germany goes out.

Reactions: Rob

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
These WJC GDTs can be a lot of spirited fun, or an embarrassing ****-show, depending on who shows up.

This one was excellent, for the most part.

Edit: I confess to a few ass-clown posts in these threads in the past. They were USA-Canada games though. Do I get a pass?
Yes, I hope for some leniency on my part also.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I meant the Russian dominance of Canada, and that it wouldn't surprise me if Russia makes the medal round.

Yes, USA has clinched 2nd place, probably avoiding the Nordics in the quarter-final.
My bad... Sorry, misread it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think the Czech's are going to lose the relegation series because Kazakstan is terrible, but in another year where the worst team in the other group was a little better, losing your two best forwards is a good way to get relegated against an inferior team.
We lost our 3 best players so far.lol. Dostal, Lauko and Jenik. This point today is a miracle.

Also, we have 4 points and Germans and Russia 3. There are 4 outcomes to the match tomorrow... 3 of them have us move on.

Hoping for a regulation win (I like both teams so don't care much either way) and news that Jenik and Dostal will be okay for Thursday (highly unlikely).

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
That's not how it works. The standard is whether a play impedes a goalie's ability to make a save. It has nothing to do with subjective impression's on a goalie's positioning and awareness. It's just as easy to conjecture that if he hadn't gotten hit in the head he could've reacted in time to make the save as it is to say he couldn't have.

Objective standards and technicalities are not the same thing. The goalie not only had his face completely covered by the contact but had his head moved from where it would have been had it not been for the contact. That's goaltender interference which is a rule. Not a technicality.
I’ve already said I agree with the call. My point was that in all likelihood that puck is going in either way and it’s a lucky break for the US. So to complain about a non call on the stick play just seems a little silly, especially after the game had been won.

In any case... what a great game. The WJCs never disappoints!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe they don’t trust Zegras defensive game and like him better as a playmaking winger?

I'm sure thats the reasoning, but I don't trust Pinto's defensive game. I don't trust Drury's offensive game. I don't trust Beecher's offensive game. I don't trust Ford's offensive game. All of those guys are allowed to play center. There's a reason Zegras has been our best player in this tournament and was picked in the top 10, and they weren't. I think you let your best players play their game. They did that last year with Hughes. He was put at center, and he handles the center responsibilities worse than Zegras does. You might be less willing to do that with a lesser player, but Zegras should've come into the tournament as one of our key players. Instead, he came in as a 4th line winger, and it took him leading the tournament in points to move up to a middle six winger role.

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Just finished up watching the game: what a third period! Czechs deserved a win just as much as the US did.

For those watching these games on the US NHL network...do you enjoy Stephen Nelson’s PBP as much as I do? Usually when play by play or color guys throw in humor it results in an eye roll more often than not...but I think he’s given the perfect mix of light humor and true commentary. Dave Starman is solid too.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Just finished up watching the game: what a third period! Czechs deserved a win just as much as the US did.

For those watching these games on the US NHL network...do you enjoy Stephen Nelson’s PBP as much as I do? Usually when play by play or color guys throw in humor it results in an eye roll more often than not...but I think he’s given the perfect mix of light humor and true commentary. Dave Starman is solid too.
Starman knows his hockey, and the American players in particular. He doesn't know when to shut up and let his partner call the game.

Give me Miller, Ferraro, and the rest of the TSN crew anytime.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Starman knows his hockey, and the American players in particular. He doesn't know when to shut up and let his partner call the game.

Ignorance is bliss for me I guess. I’ve obviously watched NHL feeds with those guys, but not WJC. I guess what I like is the telecast has a different and lighter feel than NHL games. It’s a nice change of pace.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
So many damn soft penalties in this tournament so far in every game no matter who is playing.

I also have no idea why they wasted so much damn time reviewing the Czech goal that ended up not counting because of obvious contact to Spencer Knights head. It was as clear as day interference.

They reviewed it for far too long and call it no goal and then we waste even more time because the Czech head coach was challenging that call for who the hell knows what reason when it was already established there was interfence. So annoying.

Anyway, I hope the Czechs play Canada this hard tomorrow and pull off a win so USA can win the group. That OT goal by Caulfield was awesome.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope the Czechs play Canada this hard tomorrow and pull off a win so USA can win the group
I really hope that the German/Russia game ends in regulation with a victor (don't care who - like both teams) and the Czech/Canada game has very little significance. I've figured that IF we make playoffs we'll have Finland or Sweden.

Czechs have played 3 straight 4-3 games that have been entertaining as hell but they must be exhausted. I'm exhausted watching these games.lol To be honest, not losing a major player for us to injury would be great!

Regarding Varada and second review... I have no idea what was going on there. I'm surprised he didn't get tossed from the game as he looked like he was about to murder a ref. I'm surprised we didn't lose our powerplay. I'm surprised they reviewd the goal a second time. I think, maybe, we lose our timeout for it? I"m really not sure what the rule is OR if the rule was followed there. It was bizarre. If I was American I'd be annoyed!

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017

Yeah although Starman has tons of insight into the US players and coaches (he mainly follows college and maybe also junior hockey) I feel he and Nelson sometimes talk way too much. It’s ok to give us snippets of info from time to time but I wish they’d stay on target more often and just talk about what’s happening in the game. That’s why I too prefer TSN’s coverage.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I like Nelson but Starman is awful.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Since the Czechs earned a point vs US they now have 4 vs 3 for the Germans. Germany has to get at least a point for tie breaker to be relevant.

Germany was impressive again vs Canada, so it's not out of the question for them to earn a point vs Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->