GDT: Game 16: Czech Republic Vs United States | 1PM EST 7PM CET | USA 4 - 3 CZE OT

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
With all due respect to the kid, it's this tournament that people care about.

If this lights a fire under him, and he starts to contribute more in regulation play, I think people will love it. But it would be a shame if this goal was the highlight of his tournament.
All I'm saying is that the "he can't produce 5 on 5" narrative is completely false. He has definitely struggled, hopefully he can step it up.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The much needed point is here. Let's hope Russia is not going to beat Germany in OT/SO, which is the only result of that game that would put the Czechs into a critical situation once again. Overall, I am satisfied by how guys were playing tonight. They were under some terrible pressure, it was obvious that this is not about playing beautiful hockey but simply about taking at least a point any legitimate way. Of course the final minutes of the regulation were totally passive and on the edge of delaying the game, but sometimes there are games when you simply need to play like this.

The loss of Jeník is very unpleasant.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I must've missed it but I can concede the point. Not gonna dig for a replay stream.

They did but it doesn't matter. They did it after the fact the Czech's did it while they had possession of the puck = a penalty instantly. To say otherwise would be to change the rules mid game AGAIN since they already allowed the Czech's a freebie challenge that didn't take away their PP. All of it ends up being a moot point because the better team won as they should've.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So you want the goal to be called off on a technicality after the previous goal was waved off on a technicality?
Also scummy is a bit much lol.
No I said he should've gotten called for a penalty. Which I guess yes would've meant the goal wouldn't have happened but it's not strictly the same thing. There's a clear rule against it and the linesman right next to the play completely ignored it.

And yes I think it's a pretty scummy thing to do. But I suppose my definition of the term is milder than yours. I don't think the Czech player is a piece of shit for doing it. Maybe "classless move" would've been better.

Edit: also the waived off goal was not a "technicality" there are clear rules against goalie interference too

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
All I'm saying is that the "he can't produce 5 on 5" narrative is completely false. He has definitely struggled, hopefully he can step it up.

That's fair. I don't doubt the kid's talent. As a US fan, I'm just frustrated because there are some good players on this team who aren't contributing enough. I think the good news is that this goal happened at the perfect time(even excluding the OT aspect). Hopefully this is what he needs to step it up entering the medal round.

Reactions: Favster

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I would worry if I were Canadien fan considering he has been pummeled on 5v5, I hope he goes Goalfield mode in the playoffs
Good thing yours not a canadiens fan, because the real habs fans aren't worried one bit over a bad start in a short tournament. We now how good he is.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
He definitely hasn't been great. Hopefully this is a learning process for him; he needs to adapt his game.
I agree, however, he has not had nearly as much PP time, and no first wave PP time. Zegers has been the exception to this though and has been playing amazing. Put Caufield in first wave PP for all the games and he could just as easily be at 5 goals. I do agree he does need to pick it up as if he is not scoring he has not been very effective this tourney.

Reactions: Sojourn and Favster

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I agree, however, he has not had nearly as much PP time, and no first wave PP time. Zegers has been the exception to this though and has been playing amazing. Put Caufield in first wave PP for all the games and he could just as easily be at 5 goals. I do agree he does need to pick it up as if he is not scoring he has not been very effective this tourney.
His, and most of the team's, ice time distribution has been terrible. I'm not surprised that so many players aren't producing like they should though. That said, players with his talent level have to find ways to produce. In the third he was fighting for the puck more than I've ever seen him. He's a smart kid with high hockey IQ, he'll figure it out I'm sure.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
His, and most of the team's, ice time distribution has been terrible. I'm not surprised that so many players aren't producing like they should though. That said, players with his talent level have to find ways to produce. In the third he was fighting for the puck more than I've ever seen him. He's a smart kid with high hockey IQ, he'll figure it out I'm sure.
Yea for sure, if goal scorers are not scoring sometimes they start trying to do too much and it weighs on them. Hoping he can come out and pop a few more before the tourney is out. The US needs him to produce as that is what he was brought in to do.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia wins clean - we finish 4th and Germany is out
Germany wins clean - we finish 4th and Russia is out
Russia wins in OT - we are eliminated? Russia would have 5 points, German with 4 (and head to head)
Germans win in OT - we finish 4th, Russia is eliminated

Is my math right here? Let's 'pretend' we don't get a point of Canada.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Or if we lose in OT and you guys lose to Canada right?
But would prefer the both of us to go through!
I think an OT win by Russia eliminates Czechs... so Germany just needs to get to OT to advance irregardless. I have nothing against the Russian team (thought they have played beautifully) but I'll be cheering for a German win.

Reactions: Daeni10

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Russia wins clean - we finish 4th and Germany is out
Germany wins clean - we finish 4th and Russia is out
Russia wins in OT - we are eliminated? Russia would have 5 points, German with 4 (and head to head)
Germans win in OT - we finish 4th, Russia is eliminated

Is my math right here? Let's 'pretend' we don't get a point of Canada.
I think so, yes.
If Russia wins in OT we need to get a point against Canada or we're out.
This has been IMO our best effort at the U20 WJC in years... With all those injuries I have zero hopes for the quarterfinals but it would really suck if we finished 5th in our group.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well I predicted 6-1 so egg on my face too.

I think the crowd really got the Czechs going. That and the special teams.

That crowd was awesome.

The special teams less so. From a US fan perspective.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well I predicted 6-1 so egg on my face too.

I think the crowd really got the Czechs going. That and the special teams.
History would suggest 6-1 was a good call. So would the rosters. Toss in our backup and our Top 2 Centres out of the game and 10-1 was likely. I've never been so happy with an OTL ... just wish it had guaranteed us the Quarters. the 2 points wouldn't have guaranteed one either to my knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad