GDT: Game #15|Thu., Nov. 7, 2013| Devils at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Newbury called up, McGinn down. :facepalm: We have trouble scoring so we bring up a goon. Where's my beer?

Probably related to changing Downie's status to day-to-day.

Most likely Rosehill will play another couple of games and Newbury will sit in the press box again until they decide to slot in Downie. Just hope they don't mess with Downie's health to pressure something.

I don't like this move either.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
uuhhh you want to add some juice to the lineup? stop trying the same old tricks. What has newbury done to deserve a call up? Shows that sucking is acceptable.

Scored 5 points in 5 games while being more of an ideal 4th liner than McGinn.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
McGinn down and Newbury up is pretty irrelevant. I assume as others have said that this is most likely cause Downie is coming back soon and they rather have McGinn playing, Newburry is just a body that could eventually get claimed and no one would bat an eye.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
going to catch this game already started, tbh im gunna do some shopping after work.

cuz i have basicly zero interest in watching another ****show of a flyers game..

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
My beer guy at the Wells Fargo is playing between periods. My buddy joke who might have more goals by the end of the night - beer guy or giroux :(

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
My god, why is Schenn constantly scratched? Gus I understand (not that I agree with it), he's young and still fighting for a permanent spot. But Schenn? What the hell is Chief smoking?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
My god, why is Schenn constantly scratched? Gus I understand (not that I agree with it), he's young and still fighting for a permanent spot. But Schenn? What the hell is Chief smoking?

This whole Schenn thing is really strange. I don't quite understand why he's as hated as he is.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
This whole Schenn thing is really strange. I don't quite understand why he's as hated as he is.

Skating and boneheaded turnovers. I understand the reasons, but I don't agree with it. I think Gill at least brings some vet leadership that we aren't seeing from Kimmo, Streit, Vinny or Hartnell. Team seems more calm and less mistake prone with him on the bench. Minus that OT goal of course.. :cry:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I just can't get behind a coach who thinks that Meszaros and Gill are better options than Schenn and Gus.

Even if you think that the former are currently better than the latter, there's not much in it and one pair are at a stage where they should be improving daily. The others? Not so much.

flyaz4life

Mar 25, 2010
Woodbridge, Ontario
want to try something new...

The chances that G puts the puck in the back of the net tonight are as good as a blind man telling you where Waldo is.

Giroux will NOT score tonight.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I can understand them scratching Schenn in favor of Gill if they really feel like he's the better option for that role. But, I can't see any reason why Gus is being scratched in favor of Mez for a team that is struggling mightily to get any offensive production going.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Gill is getting hated on around here, but I'm not sure why. He's been pretty solid the last couple of games, nothing flashy, but the kind of guy that you want on the third pair. Now that could definitely change when they start playing teams with quicker forward groups. NJ and Carolina aren't exactly and group of burners.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Gill is getting hated on around here, but I'm not sure why. He's been pretty solid the last couple of games, nothing flashy, but the kind of guy that you want on the third pair. Now that could definitely change when they start playing teams with quicker forward groups. NJ and Carolina aren't exactly and group of burners.

It's not that people are hating on Gill, people are hating the fact that Gill and Meszaros are getting played over two young defensemen that need to play to develop.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's not that people are hating on Gill, people are hating the fact that Gill and Meszaros are getting played over two young defensemen that need to play to develop.

Maybe it's because Schenn has played like crap for most of the season this far? The guy looks awful when compared to the level of play that we saw from him last season. Gus for Mez is moronic, and I said that earlier. Gus provides offensive production, something that neither Mez or the rest of the seems capable of doing right now.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Maybe it's because Schenn has played like crap for most of the season this far? The guy looks awful when compared to the level of play that we saw from him last season. Gus for Mez is moronic, and I said that earlier. Gus provides offensive production, something that neither Mez or the rest of the seems capable of doing right now.

So because one of your young defensemen has been struggling (which I do disagree with) he gets benched for a much older guy that may or may not be just as bad if not worse than Luke? It just doesn't make sense to me.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Exactly. And it's not like Schenn and Gus were the reason the team was losing, while Gill and Mez bring a winning atmosphere.

Gus was playing great. One mistake in a 3rd period and he gets sat. Mez on the other hand completely gets skated by quite a few times a game. I actually feel bad for the guy. He was a solid 3rd pairing defenseman that injuries really made him worse.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
So because one of your young defensemen has been struggling (which I do disagree with) he gets benched for a much older guy that may or may not be just as bad if not worse than Luke? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes. The idea is to put the best six defensemen out there to have the best possible chance of winning the game. Schenn has been pretty awful even in the limited ice time that he's been given. Gill has been dependable and has played a safe game, which you want from a third pair guy. I suspect Schenn will be back in the lineup relatively soon, and hopefully it's because he's looked better in practice and the coaches feel like they can trust him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Exactly. And it's not like Schenn and Gus were the reason the team was losing, while Gill and Mez bring a winning atmosphere.

Gus was playing great. One mistake in a 3rd period and he gets sat. Mez on the other hand completely gets skated by quite a few times a game. I actually feel bad for the guy. He was a solid 3rd pairing defenseman that injuries really made him worse.

I already said I disagreed with Gus being sat in favor of Mez. Gus has played considerably better than Mez to this point, and I'm pretty confident in saying that it'll continue to be that way for the rest of the season.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Downie practicing with the team in bubble mask, not playing, but good to see he's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad