PGT: Game 15: Russia 7 - Switzerland 4

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I actually concocted a ridiculous scenario a while back with 2 penalty shots on the same play but I thought of it in such a way where a guy is tripped on a breakaway and then before they gain control of the puck an opposition skater covers the puck with his glove in the crease. 2 separate penalty shot infractions. I never dreamed that a guy would be tripped twice in the same breakaway.

But I still believe the existence of 1 PS means the opportunity was no longer taken away which means the 2nd PS doesn't meet all the necessary requirements.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would've understood Penalty Shot + PP. Two penalty shots doesn't make much sense, considering they're awarded for a chance missed and the Swiss player managed to continue.
Yea I would have went with one penalty shot and a 2 minute penalty.

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
That 5 min penalty seems so arbitrary. How is it any more dangerous than the slash he received a moment before. I would chalk it up to all the little pushes and slashes that happen in between plays that usually never get called. 2 minute minor at most.

Reactions: Antonglk

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
From whose perspective? Muranov clearly took a spear to the stomach and retaliated. Didn't even look like much of a retaliation. Great overreaction by the ref that could have repercussions for the Russians. Whether you hate the Russians or not, the tournament has to be fair to be valid. No sweetheart relationships with Cinderella teams. Just call them the same for everybody.
Refs lost this game. Completelly. Two penalty shots, 5 mins penalty, but no penalty for Swiss player. This is not fair.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If he scored on the first PS, you would think that would nullify the second attempt. Instead... they were treating the 2 PS's like a 5 minute major where you can score as many as you want.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If he scored on the first PS, you would think that would nullify the second attempt. Instead... they were treating the 2 PS's like a 5 minute major where you can score as many as you want.

If they scored on the first one, the Russians could have offered " double or nothing"?

Then it's rocks paper scissors

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
To me , it makes sense to have 2 chances to score 1 goal . If you score on the first one , you don't get the second one . I believe that's what it will turn out to be . Regardless of what happens this period ... two thumbs up to the Swiss.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That 5 min penalty seems so arbitrary. How is it any more dangerous than the slash he received a moment before. I would chalk it up to all the little pushes and slashes that happen in between plays that usually never get called. 2 minute minor at most.
It's not arbitrary, butt ending is an automatic 5 minute major. Attempting to butt end is 4 minutes or a 5 minute major, but as soon as you connect you're out of the game.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

The 2nd infraction would have almost certainly been 2 minutes had he scored on the first. You cannot score 2 goals in the same stoppage. But like in normal play if time in reverted to a prior moment infractions in the meantime still count. So the first trip PS is "before" the 2nd infraction, he scores the 2nd infraction that wouldn't have existed, still counts as 2 minutes.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They should have allowed a 2 on none PS with two Swiss players going on a breakaway. Two-fer-one.

I had not considered that, it would address the two potential goals at the same time problem as well.

The IIHF better not see your post

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The 2nd infraction would have almost certainly been 2 minutes had he scored on the first. You cannot score 2 goals in the same stoppage. But like in normal play if time in reverted to a prior moment infractions in the meantime still count. So the first trip PS is "before" the 2nd infraction, he scores the 2nd infraction that wouldn't have existed, still counts as 2 minutes.

Event that doesn't make sense. A 2min penalty after a goal is scored generally only happens if the offense occurred during time stoppage.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The refs were between a rock and a hard place on the 2 penalty shot calls. There was definitely 2 penalties. Having a penalty shot and a 2 minute minor would have been the better call.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The refs were between a rock and a hard place on the 2 penalty shot calls. There was definitely 2 penalties. Having a penalty shot and a 2 minute minor would have been the better call.

Credit to the swiss player who got tripped twice. He never quit on the play. Samarukov however... LOL

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
to everyone asking, they just announced that if they scored the 1st PS then the 2nd would have be voided and a 2min minor given instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->