GDT: Game 15 | Detroit Red Wings @ Minnesota Wild | 6:00 PM EST | FS-D

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are both + players producing over a PPG this year, all while centering their own line. So why would you put Pavs back on Hank's wing when it hasn't worked in 3+ years? He iced Cleary-Filppula-Samuelsson as our second line FFS.

Yeah Holland isn't doing his job well enough but Babcock hasnt shown why he's such an elite this coach this year. He's completely sucked this year. I wouldn't fire him right now, but if a good coach is available in the off season I'd STRONGLY consider it.

Maybe he was trying to spark something or give us a dominant line for a game. They had 13 shots on goal and both of our goals, so putting them together did work. The problem is that outside of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Brunner, no one is producing offensively and frankly no one is working hard enough right now. Filppula has been riding the coat tails of Datayuk all year, so maybe giving him his own line to center was an attempt to get him going on his own.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
That was my point though - he wouldn't have gotten a more reasonable chance if they gave him a penalty shot. The opportunity he got was as good as it gets - he had time to deke and dangle and do whatever he wanted, and he did. He just got stopped.

In the end it doesn't matter. They didn't play well enough or hard enough or smart enough to win this game, and they lost it. Justice is done.

It doesn't matter if he would have got a BETTER chance. Point is he would have got a SECOND chance.

Datsyuk is one of the best guys in the league at the shootout, but once in a while the goalie makes the save. He's not 100%. But if he got to take 2 tries in a row his chances would improve hugely.

Tatar should have had 2 tries in a row there.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
It doesn't matter if he would have got a BETTER chance. Point is he would have got a SECOND chance.

Datsyuk is one of the best guys in the league at the shootout, but once in a while the goalie makes the save. He's not 100%. But if he got to take 2 tries in a row his chances would improve hugely.

What? That makes no sense.

The rule states that the player should get a penalty shot if he's denied any reasonable chance, or if he's denied a more reasonable chance. Tatar was not denied a reasonable chance and a penalty shot attempt would have been virtually identical to the situation he ended up with anyway.

Are you suggesting that he would have been able to skate in all alone, make his shot, and then recover the puck and loop around and take another breakaway shot? I'm not sure what you're driving at.

According to the rule, the refs made the correct call. I say this as someone who has no hesitation calling out the refs when they do something stupid. In this case they were right.

RedWingsNow*

Maybe he was trying to spark something or give us a dominant line for a game. They had 13 shots on goal and both of our goals, so putting them together did work. The problem is that outside of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Brunner, no one is producing offensively and frankly no one is working hard enough right now. Filppula has been riding the coat tails of Datayuk all year, so maybe giving him his own line to center was an attempt to get him going on his own.

I would have separated them with Flip at center for Datsyuk, if Datsyuk couldn't take draws.

Datsyuk Flip Tatar

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Oh well another loss. we gotta play 60 minutes without mistakes. I had a lot chances but I couldn't score:(. I think the ref could call penalty shot on me. Well he didn't. I hope we will win in Nashville.
Tomas Tatar on Facebook after tonight's game

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

No, he would have gotten a better chance. That's the only debatable point as far as the rulebook goes. He was not able to go in on goal at full speed, which made things easier for the goalie. If he would have dived he would have made the call for a penalty shot easier for the ref. It happens, but you can understand why some guys dive. NHL refs can remove the incentive to dive by awarding penalty shots according to the rule book.

RedWingsNow*

Jakub Kind's facebook
Oh well. Another loss.that's what happens when you play undrafted AHL scrubs and waiver wire guys instead of SuperKuba.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
lmao

EDIT:

But completely have no issue with Tatar being vocal on social media - it is just the way of the future with professional sports

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I agree and disagree with you RedMenace. I think that it could get him into some trouble but at the same time it could also make him a fan favorite and a real character. that what this sport needs. look at football and basketball they are full of these outspoken charismatic people and get headlines for it. it only takes one guy to get his group of player acting this way. what if next year you saw Tatar, Gus, and Smith being real open with the public then the next year Jarnkrok and mr "I never get nervous" Mrazek join in, then Jurco ect.... it would be really cool and would make some people take notice of new blood on our team.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Jakub Kind's facebook

Wow, this "Jakub Kind" guy is pretty spiteful, it'd be interesting to see how Kindl feels about this situation :sarcasm:

Joking aside, If I'm Kindl I'd be very close to asking for a trade. Management has shown him that they have zero faith in him whatsoever, and Babs must generally dislike the guy.
He's been in and out of the lineup for 3 years and IMO never given a real shot, and now they have an injury depleted roster and he's still below Lashoff and Huskins on the totem pole. I'd be fine with that if he was playing poorly but he hasn't been, in all honesty he's been playing the best hockey of his NHL career and showing flashes of his potential.

It may come off as me being a Kindl fanboy but I'm betting he'll be a solid 2 way d-man in the league, just not with Detroit.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I love how everyone here knows who should be playing over whom.

There are a whole lot of practices and conversations we're never a part of.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Babcock on Fil after the game

“Fil should just finish his check on the wall and the guy skated right by him and it's all over, and when you pinch (like Ericsson did) you got to get out,'' Babcock said. “The bottom line is he skated right by a couple of us. No reason for that to happen.''

Also said this, but seems like he has been pretty critical of Fil so far.

“I thought Fil played as hard as he has in a while tonight,'' Babcock said. “I thought Samuelsson did some good things, but they didn't get enough done, obviously.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Tatar has clearly played his way onto the roster. Sending him back down at this points is a clear signal that management doesn't want to win this season.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I agree and disagree with you RedMenace. I think that it could get him into some trouble but at the same time it could also make him a fan favorite and a real character. that what this sport needs. look at football and basketball they are full of these outspoken charismatic people and get headlines for it. it only takes one guy to get his group of player acting this way. what if next year you saw Tatar, Gus, and Smith being real open with the public then the next year Jarnkrok and mr "I never get nervous" Mrazek join in, then Jurco ect.... it would be really cool and would make some people take notice of new blood on our team.

Heh, and people ask me why I dislike basketball and football... ;)

I'm all for showing moxie, verve, or whatever else you want to call it ON the ice. Fist-pump, 200-foot slide, swim from center ice, I don't care -- but the Internet has given rise to people racing to be the first ones to jam as many feet in their mouths as quickly as possible. I'd rather have guys like Mrazek and Tatar show their emotion during the game, not on "social media" afterward.

I'll spare everyone from my anti-Twitter rants... #IworkinITLOL

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012

Filppula looked like he had a little more jump tonight, but he is not the type of player that can carry dead weight such as Danny Boy or Sammy. One again, Tatar was held to a mere 13 TOI while Danny Boy was useless for 17 minutes of ES time and 3+ min of PP time. Why not give Fil someone that can skate with him, and roll with Tatar - Fil - Sammy? :cry:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I would have separated them with Flip at center for Datsyuk, if Datsyuk couldn't take draws.

Datsyuk Flip Tatar

I had no problem with Pav and Z playing together today, especially considering that Minny front loads their top line as well.

In the near future I'd definitely like to see Datsyuk, Fil, and Tatar together, but I personally don't believe Babcock has the balls/patience to let it play out. 2 mediocre periods and Tatar's demoted.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
What? That makes no sense.

The rule states that the player should get a penalty shot if he's denied any reasonable chance, or if he's denied a more reasonable chance. Tatar was not denied a reasonable chance and a penalty shot attempt would have been virtually identical to the situation he ended up with anyway.

Are you suggesting that he would have been able to skate in all alone, make his shot, and then recover the puck and loop around and take another breakaway shot? I'm not sure what you're driving at.

According to the rule, the refs made the correct call. I say this as someone who has no hesitation calling out the refs when they do something stupid. In this case they were right.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your argument as something like "it wouldn't have mattered because he couldn't score on the breakaway anyway".

I still think his initial scoring chance was taken away, which should have resulted in a penalty shot. It's the difference between a full speed Tatar catching the goalie off guard, and a Tatar starting up from a standstill while the goalie has plenty of time to focus on his movements and prepare for the deke.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I dont think the ref made the right call because he was taken down from behind by a guy desperately throwing his stick back and tripped him. That ended one play then he got up and had an ok chance but the original chance was taken away from him as a result it was a penalty shot called blown again by the refs. :shakehead Think of it this way what they are saying by not it is you can do whatever it takes to stop a breakaway as long as he can get up. and to be blunt tartar had a good chance of scoring and even if he didnt we have 2 min of 5-5 with more of a chance to score then the pp.

second when tartar thought he score I get the feeling he would have scored if the light didnt go on.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If babcock "criticized" Fil and Sammy, what did he have to say about Cleary? Cleary played more than Sammy and just a little less than Fil, and I didn't see him do a damn thing (as usual).

I think Babcock's favorites on this team are hurting his ability to coach properly. His last favorite is Lashoff would should play a limited 3rd pairing role or be in the pressbox - he's playing 20 minutes a night!

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I am genuinely worried that they'll give Cleary a new contract at this point. Especially if he goes on a little bit of a hot streak near the end of the season and if we make the playoffs he produces there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->