Goal-Day Thread Game 15: Coytoes @ Penguins - 5PM - FSAZ+

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Seems like when the Yotes get stoned on certain scoring chances, they struggle offensively the rest of the game.

Hope they catch better luck tomorrow vs the Capitals.

I've noticed this too. Keller had a point blank shot after a turnover. He has scored in that same situation 2-3 times this season. After he missed he went invisible. Stepan to Hino for a shot you make 75% of the time gets blocked. Both disappear in the third. Crouse-Fischer were a force in the first 10 minutes of the game. Both miss on some brilliant scoring chances. Crouse drops to the 4th line for Cousins, Fischer dissapears.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
After a 5th of the season I think that the conventional thinking noted on this board has been shown to be correct. We are better than last year but not a playoff team.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I honestly thought Perlini had a decent game in terms of effort, problem is that he's dumb as a rock and doesn't know what to do to find soft areas of the ice.

He can skate and a straight line and shoot the puck, but thats about it.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I honestly thought Perlini had a decent game in terms of effort, problem is that he's dumb as a rock and doesn't know what to do to find soft areas of the ice.

He can skate and a straight line and shoot the puck, but thats about it.

It's such a shame, because he has a hell of a shot and great speed, but he barely knows how and when to use either of them. So much potential, but the hockey IQ just isn't there.

Reactions: azcanuck

cobra427

May 6, 2012
After a 5th of the season I think that the conventional thinking noted on this board has been shown to be correct. We are better than last year but not a playoff team.
Too early to tell, playoffs are still a possibility. They didn't outplay us. We made mistakes and didn't score on a few chances. Kuemper let in a soft one on Crosby's goal. Richardson missed an assignment on 2 of the goals, left a guy wide open twice. That made it 3-0, game over. Its a game of mistakes and we made 3 of them leading to goals. I didn't see the 4th goal.

Our PP needs work and we didn't score on some great chances, their goal tending was really good. We still outshot them most of the game but mistakes killed us and they made us pay. Raanta would have made the score closer but I can't blame Kuemper for this loss.

Reactions: Jakey53

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Not surprised at all by the result. Pittsburg is a SC contender. Phoenix is not. Coyotes will win some games and might make the playoffs. If they do, they will have far overachieved.

Maybe someday the NHL will fix a couple of draft lotteries so we can draft multiple generational talent type players. They did it for Pittsburg and Edmonton.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Think about last two opponents. Both struggling and both with backup netminders. Both have beaten us.
Have the games been competitive? yes we're much more competitive this year . Our skilled players are coming along. But too many of them are too soft. We're still an outside team looking in on the playoff picture I feel.
Hoping Raanta gets back real soon. Need him to steal some wins for us.
My one big disappointment is Perlini. He is big, strong fast with a great shot. But he's simply not that competitive of a player. He's still young though. I have big expectations though from him . He's like a young Jeff Carter.
Guys that continue to stand out and play well is Cousins. I don't know why he gets so much hate on here. He's so much better then last year. Our soft skilled guys should adopt a little of his sandpaper.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Think about last two opponents. Both struggling and both with backup netminders. Both have beaten us.
Have the games been competitive? yes we're much more competitive this year . Our skilled players are coming along. But too many of them are too soft. We're still an outside team looking in on the playoff picture I feel.
My one big disappointment is Perlini. He is big, strong fast with a great shot. But he's simply not that competitive of a player. He's still young though. I have big expectations though from him . He's like a young Jeff Carter.
Guys that continue to stand out and play well is Cousins. I don't know why he gets so much hate on here. He's so much better then last year. Our soft skilled guys should adopt a little of his sandpaper.

Has read some of their GDT. It's really long, so didn't bother with all of it. But they seem to agree with me DeSmith should now be seen as their starter. It's their best goalie, so calm down a little all you who talk about being shut-out by a backup.

I really thought Kuemper played well. He kept it scoreless for a long time. When the goals starts coming in, and it's a loss anyways, I don't think it's a big deal if it's more of them. Their shots were good, and to demand a 90% against good shots is not the same as demanding a 90% against weak or even normal shots. Totally unfair to complain about Kuemper. Raanta would have lost this game to.

No puck-luck in this game.

Perlini the Pens-fans atually seemed to want on their team, btw.

Agree on Cousins. A fine 1-mill player.

And I hope Keller isn't headed for one of those dreaded sophomore slumps. That would be sad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think most of the vets most of the nights are playing to their capabilities but their talent isn't first line caliber and right now the kids are having a tough time producing excluding Keller. If we are going to improve this year the kids have to pick it up. Cousins is playing very good consistent hockey but he is not a top six player, and if he plays there it shows how bad our depth at forward is. If Strome, Fischer and Perlini gave the effort and consistency of Cousins we would be a much different team.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The pp needs massive improvement and the aggressive defense is getting exploited. Don't know what RT plans to do about either, but believe the aggressive D will continue - pp is just a mess.

Also: It's hot in Phoenix during the summer.

Reactions: Jakey53

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I like Cousins too because he has so much effort in his game. It would be nice if a few others were that determined.
And Perlini confuses me. He should be so much better then he is. I hope he gets it together eventually.
Strome probably is a bust. A career AHL'er. Tons of talent but not much compete. His days are numbered.
I think we might as well play our best and grab another high pick at the draft. Hopefully Hayton turns out to be a better pick then some of these other first rounders we have.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Has read some of their GDT. It's really long, so didn't bother with all of it. But they seem to agree with me DeSmith should now be seen as their starter. It's their best goalie, so calm down a little all you who talk about being shut-out by a backup.

I really thought Kuemper played well. He kept it scoreless for a long time. When the goals starts coming in, and it's a loss anyways, I don't think it's a big deal if it's more of them. Their shots were good, and to demand a 90% against good shots is not the same as demanding a 90% against weak or even normal shots. Totally unfair to complain about Kuemper. Raanta would have lost this game to.

No puck-luck in this game.

Perlini the Pens-fans atually seemed to want on their team, btw.

Agree on Cousins. A fine 1-mill player.

And I hope Keller isn't headed for one of those dreaded sophomore slumps. That would be sad.
so you read their fan forums and formulate "expert" opinion from it? DeSmith is a backup until proven otherwise. The "other guy" has won two Stanley cups. From my hometown too :).
Raanta has proven to steal games. Remember the Canes game. He won that for us. I did not imply in any way Kuemper is playing bad, he's just not raanta. On the road you need your goalie to steal a game sometime. I missed the caps game, not sure if Kuemper "stole" that game but good to see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->