GDT: Game #14|Tue., Nov. 5, 2013| Flyers at Hurricanes |7:30 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadFerIt95*

They're going to make a rule where goalies get punished for skating the length of the ice to fight (mug) a goaltender. Similar to leaving the bench to fight a guy. I guess Emery just ruined the fun for everybody

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You want to know why this team can't score?

Matt Read leads the team with 36 shots......good for 82nd in the NHL.

Our first player doesn't show up on the shot rankings till 82nd.

Get more shots on net, more pucks go in.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They're going to make a rule where goalies get punished for skating the length of the ice to fight (mug) a goaltender. Similar to leaving the bench to fight a guy. I guess Emery just ruined the fun for everybody

They rarely happen anymore to begin with but I have a feeling they'll just have it instead of getting warnings like Emery did the other night for beating an unwilling combatant make it a suspension worthy act on the first time.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mason is the expected starter tonight.

Also, for those watching the national feed tonight, the broadcast team is Dave Strader and Brian Engblom.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
WOW... thats a pretty telling stat..:amazed:

Isn't it? I know a lot of people write about how many shots miss and/or blocked and/or passed off. But that stat is ridiculous. But I think its a huge stat showing the lack of creativity that this team has. Nobody can free up enough to get clean shots.

MadFerIt95*

They rarely happen anymore to begin with but I have a feeling they'll just have it instead of getting warnings like Emery did the other night for beating an unwilling combatant make it a suspension worthy act on the first time.

I think what Emery did should be suspendable, but if 2 goalies want to go at it I don't think they should be suspended for it

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
At least Rosehill is out. Vinny and McGinn up front should be fun. Gill, while slow, will at least put his body in the way of things as much as possible.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You want to know why this team can't score?

Matt Read leads the team with 36 shots......good for 82nd in the NHL.

Our first player doesn't show up on the shot rankings till 82nd.

Get more shots on net, more pucks go in.

Yep. I discussed this elsewhere.

They are something like 26th in shots per game. They are also 9th in missed shots...that's a huge disparity. The other teams failing to generate shots are also towards the bottom for missed shots, because they just aren't creating opportunities. The Flyers are creating opportunities and aren't getting the puck on net.

You can pick one of a million reasons for that. You've got basically EVERYONE missing the net, even if they're practically in the crease. You've got guys firing shots into defenders. You've got guys flubbing on passes. And then there's also people waiting to shoot for some maddening reason, letting defenders get into position...or just missing when they do.

Yukon Cornelius*

Get 'er done Claude, get 'er done. That "C" on your sweater is there for an effin' reason.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yep. I discussed this elsewhere.

They are something like 26th in shots per game. They are also 9th in missed shots...that's a huge disparity. The other teams failing to generate shots are also towards the bottom for missed shots, because they just aren't creating opportunities. The Flyers are creating opportunities and aren't getting the puck on net.

You can pick one of a million reasons for that. You've got basically EVERYONE missing the net, even if they're practically in the crease. You've got guys firing shots into defenders. You've got guys flubbing on passes. And then there's also people waiting to shoot for some maddening reason, letting defenders get into position...or just missing when they do.

I was coming home from work on Saturday listening to the Devils game. And it sounded like Simmonds had made a nice move and created some space, missed the net. Therien then commented that it missed by like 3 feet. That's just uncalled for. They are pros

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think what Emery did should be suspendable, but if 2 goalies want to go at it I don't think they should be suspended for it

I could be wrong here but I believe under the current rules he could that a few more times before he would get suspended or at least I think that's what I heard on NBCSN last night.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Does anyone else think it would be worthwhile to move Simmonds off the first PP unit? He's good in front of the net, but pretty brutal with the puck on his stick. I think adding someone who's better with the puck (Read, Voracek, Schenn) would be wise. And then try to run a similar PP to the one the Capitals use.

Something like:
--------Read

-------------Hartnell/Schenn
Giroux----------------------------Lecavalier

-------------Streit/Timonen

---------------
or

-----------------------------Voracek

----------------------Read
Giroux----------------------------Lecavalier

--------------Streit/Timonen

Edit: Didn't work the way I wanted the first time.
Can you follow that? :laugh:

I hate your team's PP set up. It is way too easy to defend. When the shot comes from the point, I frequently see Hartnell and Simmonds both screening. One in front of a D and one behind him. That single defenseman can cover both players in that situation and it allows the defending team to aggressively attack the puck carrier. It's a stupid set up. Having those two crease crashers pretty much eliminates any down low play and keeps the passing at the top of the umbrella formation. It isn't dynamic and when your powerplay has limited options, it makes it too easy for the PK.

So yes, get one of Simmonds or Hartnell off the first unit.

MadFerIt95*

I could be wrong here but I believe under the current rules he could that a few more times before he would get suspended or at least I think that's what I heard on NBCSN last night.

I just think if you go all the way down the ice to mug a guy who doesnt want to fight he should be suspended. I guess if it provides this team the spark that it really needs then thats all that matters haha

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I hate your team's PP set up. It is way too easy to defend. When the shot comes from the point, I frequently see Hartnell and Simmonds both screening. One in front of a D and one behind him. That single defenseman can cover both players in that situation and it allows the defending team to aggressively attack the puck carrier. It's a stupid set up. Having those two crease crashers pretty much eliminates any down low play and keeps the passing at the top of the umbrella formation. It isn't dynamic and when your powerplay has limited options, it makes it too easy for the PK.

So yes, get one of Simmonds or Hartnell off the first unit.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for posting, I forgot I wrote this.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just think if you go all the way down the ice to mug a guy who doesnt want to fight he should be suspended. I guess if it provides this team the spark that it really needs then thats all that matters haha

It's definitely something they need to look at & possibly change in the future but the NHL's hands were tied with this one, it would have caused a ****storm with the NHLPA if they bended the rules & suspended Emery. That's why I think it's laughable when people say he should have gotten 10+ games for it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Officially, yes. However, if Emery pulled that stunt again, I would be floored if Shanahan didn't justify a ~5-game suspension with some liberal interpretation of other possible penalties. There are rules and there are "rules".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad