GDT: Game 14: Coyotes @ Predators | 2-14-13 | 6PM

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Had to work tonight and just got back from the game. Don't really want to rummage through this thread, even though it's only 4 pages. Can anyone give a recap of how we looked? I saw Rundblad out on the PP(watching Condensed game).

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Had to work tonight and just got back from the game. Don't really want to rummage through this thread, even though it's only 4 pages. Can anyone give a recap of how we looked? I saw Rundblad out on the PP(watching Condensed game).

I missed the first two periods at work myself, but I read a lot of the thread and it was a pretty good goaltending duel for the first two.

Preds got a flukey goal early in the third and we basically fell apart from there. Nothing was getting past Rinne.

lockstock

Dec 16, 2007
Kauai
I missed the first two periods at work myself, but I read a lot of the thread and it was a pretty good goaltending duel for the first two.

Preds got a flukey goal early in the third and we basically fell apart from there. Nothing was getting past Rinne.
I wouldn't say they fell apart after the flukey goal. Nashville and Phoenix are so similar in the type of game they play that it's scary. The big difference is that when they got the lead, they didn't turtle up and give us a half court game to try to tie it up like the yotes love to do. They forechecked the **** out of our guys and generally outhustled and outplayed us. There were a few decent attempts to score by yotes, but Rinne was on fire.

I think maybe more teams are finally catching on that a strong forecheck can really destroy our system with the amount of skill we have. They just don't do well under constant pressure.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How was Rundblad tonight? I really want him to stay. I saw he was paired with OEL, someone brief me on how they looked.

No complaints about Rundblad. Puck movement seemed best when he was out there as well. The whole D was overworked because of Morris being hurt though. Hope its short term because that would be a huge loss with the way he's been playing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yandle played smarter. Rundblad is an odd player. He's so weak physically in the corners but so good at throwing solid body checks when the play is in motion. He will lay a guy out in the neutral zone but will lose 9/10 battles for the puck along the boards in his own end. Sneaky instincts, though. A real wild card on offense. That is precisely what our ridiculously predictable pp needs.

I love Chipchura.

We need more talent up front. Replace Nick Johnson with a 30 goal wing, and Chipchura with a 50 assist C and we actually have a contending team.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
I was actually shocked to see what appeared to be a Coyote skill line playing a possession game in the offensive zone.

Boedker-Hanzal-Vrbata
OEL-Rundblad

They didn't finish anything, but if they stay together and figure out what to do with all that skill, I might go so far as to deem that an NHL calibre 1st line/PP unit.

Sullivan-Chipchura-Doan
Yandle-Morris

Yes, I'm going to concede that Kyle Chipchura looked like a bigger offensive threat than Vermette and Gordon, and belongs on the second unit. Vermette and Gordon were on fire at the dot, and are good for killing penalties with Korpikoski and Moss. Didn't think Torres and Johnson were as strong as they showed in earlier games. Klesla and Z remain PK beasts.

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
I just want to apologize to everyone on this board and all Yotes fans around the globe. This loss is all on my shoulders. The game was 0-0 and I was sitting in my car before work, I had to take off my Yotes gear to go into work, from the time it took me to walk from my car inside (2 minutes), the Preds scored the first goal. Then because I was at work, I wasn't able to pay complete attention to the game. I will make sure that I do not make that mistake again.

:shakehead

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I just want to apologize to everyone on this board and all Yotes fans around the globe. This loss is all on my shoulders. The game was 0-0 and I was sitting in my car before work, I had to take off my Yotes gear to go into work, from the time it took me to walk from my car inside (2 minutes), the Preds scored the first goal. Then because I was at work, I wasn't able to pay complete attention to the game. I will make sure that I do not make that mistake again.

:shakehead

If we miss the playoffs by 1 pt, this will all be your fault!

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

The responses to your query thus far have been good. Had the Yotes capitalized on one or two of their many pp's they most likely would have come out on top.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
The play that sticks in my mind that would have changed the game was the 5 on 1. The play that Sullivan chose to make was lame and selfish.
There were 2 open men in the slot to pass to which would have left rebound opportunities galore on a low shot.
Instead Sullivan took a low percentage shot with Rinne playing him all the way.Not even a rebound. Not taking anything away from how well Rinne read the play.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Just got back to Athens from Nashville. Fun game, really liked Bridgestone arena. Nashville has some solid fans. Everyone had a yellow jersey. They said it was a sellout but definitely quite a few open seats, me and my buddy had single seats in different sections but we were able to sit in seats that weren't ours with no complaints. half off beer, college night, hell yeah. I saw about 10 other people in Coyotes jerseys. Went downtown to the bars after the game wearing my Doan jersey, typical comments included "We wish we got him this offseason" "Good try tonight man but go preds" and sometimes longer conversations about the playoffs. Was nice having bragging rights though. Some observations...

-Rundblad looked pretty decent especially handling the puck and made one really slick move on the point but just couldn't pull the trigger. He needs to just shoot that immediately
-Yandle, so many turnovers, he just didn't impress me at all
-Vermette looked bad, obviously this has been said time and time again but he couldn't handle any passes and didn't create many opportunities. Great on faceoffs though
-The Vrby-Boeds-Hanzal line was really good, a lot of chances but no finishing. Vrby is the most pure scorer on this line so he really needs to step up on the shooting
-Rinne's glove hand, incredible. Terrible at handling the puck, though. The one time Smith tried to clear it right up the middle was quite an experience, nashville should of just shot it on net because he was struggling to get back. Drew a soft penalty in the same context though earlier in the game, goalie interference on the preds
-Sullivan with that selfish play on the odd man break, probably our best scoring chance, but Rinnes glove hand was in the way.... we didn't have many scoring chances. I wish i saw a goal!
-End of the 2nd period was absolutely wild. Smith makes an incredible sprawling save then the preds come right back and should have scored to end but someone (erat?) couldnt shoot with a wide open net
-Predators offense is probably worse than ours but they still managed to get much better shots on, first goal was garbage, second goal was a snipe. We'd given up by the third goal

I'm sure a lot of these sentiments have been echoed in this thread I'm just too lazy to read through it haha

Still a good experience, if I wasn't a Coyotes fan I could be convinced to like the Predators, the acquisition of Mike Fisher also did wonders for their fanbase who seem to be pretty hockey knowledgeable albeit a different breed of hockey fan. It makes me sad that hockey didn't catch on in my home city of Atlanta because it sure as hell is there to stay in Nashville.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yandle played smarter. Rundblad is an odd player. He's so weak physically in the corners but so good at throwing solid body checks when the play is in motion. He will lay a guy out in the neutral zone but will lose 9/10 battles for the puck along the boards in his own end. Sneaky instincts, though. A real wild card on offense. That is precisely what our ridiculously predictable pp needs.

I love Chipchura.

We need more talent up front. Replace Nick Johnson with a 30 goal wing, and Chipchura with a 50 assist C and we actually have a contending team.

Easier said than done.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Has anyone heard the status of Morris? I bet Yandle plays better if Morris is out. To me Yandle sits back when he is paired with Morris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->