GDT: Game #14 || "Choker Awards" || Capitals @ Canucks || Mon Oct 28/13 7PM SNET-VAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Don't wanna start a thread, but I just realized how bizarre it is that we're retiring #10 yet it's been worn by several other players besides Bure... Has any other team has this happen?

I'm sure there are lots of cases of this happening. Actually a good example I can think of is the Rangers and #9 which was retired for both Graves and Bathgate because Bathgate's number wasn't retired until the late 2000s

JA

Don't wanna start a thread, but I just realized how bizarre it is that we're retiring #10 yet it's been worn by several other players besides Bure... Has any other team has this happen?

You'd just have to ask Gino.

Gino_Odjick.jpg

full.getty-71798507pm005_sens_canad_9_43_12_pm.jpg

In fact, many of the Canadiens' retired numbers were worn at least a few other times after the honored players actually retired from playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

LolClarkson*

Ray Ferraro on the Canucks just now.

"They are too thin. The minutes that Torts is playing the top players is unsustainable. Kesler and the Sedins will break down. The wheels are going to fall off." -His words

Bearish on Richardson and Santorelli.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
I dislike Caps fans, even though I know a couple nice ones.

I think Kesler is gonna continue his hotstreak and net one, regardless of the result or score (unless we get shutout).

JA

"They are too thin. The minutes that Torts is playing the top players is unsustainable. Kesler and the Sedins will break down. The wheels are going to fall off." -His words

There is always room for surprises. Ray was also documented in November 2008 for saying Alex Burrows would never be a 30-goal scorer. It was the logical conclusion at the time, but of course we were all pleasantly shocked when Burrows became the key to the team's resurgence a few months later.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Didn't really want to make a new thread so I'm just going to ask this here.

I keep hearing the media talking about how Tortorella is riding our top guys and how this is going to wear them down over the course of a season. I don't get this. I've never played any kind of higher level hockey that has me traveling and playing long seasons so maybe somebody can fill me in on this.

I have worked labour intensive jobs that I get absolutely bagged after working a 50 hour work week but after a couple days off on the weekend i'm good to go again.

I just don't understand how professional athletes playing for an 5 extra minutes every other night can handle it for awhile but then just 'break down'.

Honest question.

Betamax*

Hard to argue against that. It seems that over time Torts will be forced to cut back ice time on his top players given the condensed game schedule due to the Olympics, the fact that the Canucks are a West Coast Team.

As for BR and MS ... yeah until they prove otherwise over the long term, they can't expect the duo will sustain their very good to excellent performance (beyond expectations) thus far over the course of an 82 games schedule and beyond.

If they do, than GMMG might be short-listed for another executive of the year award! :laugh:

Betamax*

I believe Ray Ferraro also called Jason Garrison the biggest FA bust last year...

Are you sure about that? He seems pretty level headed based on the years I've heard him give his opinions. I am skeptical he would be so critical of any player especially given the short time Garrison was with the Canucks.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am more worried about kesler getting hurt then him physically not able 2 handle it.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

I don't necessarily disagree with him. Not saying he's right either, just that it's not preposterous what he's suggesting.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I really like Ray Ferraro. I think he was exaggerating the Garrison signing, but we expected more goals. It was hard for him to do that under AV.

If we can get more powerplay opportunities, he can put up a lot more.

Betamax*

I am more worried about kesler getting hurt then him physically not able 2 handle it.

But you know, increased ice time ... increased fatigue which indirectly can contribute to increased chance of injury.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Didn't really want to make a new thread so I'm just going to ask this here.

I keep hearing the media talking about how Tortorella is riding our top guys and how this is going to wear them down over the course of a season. I don't get this. I've never played any kind of higher level hockey that has me traveling and playing long seasons so maybe somebody can fill me in on this.

I have worked labour intensive jobs that I get absolutely bagged after working a 50 hour work week but after a couple days off on the weekend i'm good to go again.

I just don't understand how professional athletes playing for an 5 extra minutes every other night can handle it for awhile but then just 'break down'.

Honest question.

It's not even that much more than other top forwards in the league. Once the team doesn't have to resort to playing the likes of Yannick Weber on the fourth line I'm sure the totals will go down.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I really like Ray Ferraro. I think he was exaggerating the Garrison signing, but we expected more goals. It was hard for him to do that under AV.

If we can get more powerplay opportunities, he can put up a lot more.
He scored at just under a 14 goal pace last season (slightly down from the 16 the season before - nobody expected him to repeat that number). Don't see how anybody would be disappointed with that goal output - especially since AV didn't just Garrison as a weapon on the PP until much later last season.

But you know, increased ice time ... increased fatigue which indirectly can contribute to increased chance of injury.
Injuries are forcing Torts to make those kind of icetime decisions. Just like if we had a couple of injuries on the blueline, depending on who is healthy - they'd get a crapload of minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->