Pre-Game Talk: GAME #14 - Canucks vs. Blues - Sunday February 17th, 6:00 SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Looking forward to this game and how well the team does, been a while (comparitively speaking) since Canucks played a mid level playoff team.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The thing with garrison is there was actually a post elsewhere that he has the best corsi rating of any of our D and also the best +/-, wish I could locate those corsi stats, but thats what some claimed anyway over at cdc (yes the cdc is occassionally useful)

yes offensively he needs to pick it up with his shot, but in his own zone he has played well imo vs other teams top players, save a few errros, but against top players he has done well overall.

I see posts wanting sami salo back, and there is no way salo could keep up in that role, this is another case of fans over hyping talent once they leave. Our defense was not good last year, and salo had trouble playing big minutes.

If he can get his shot going i would be satisfied.

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Ballard and Tanev have the best Corsi ratings, but they face pretty easy competition. After that it's Edler, Garrison, and Hamhuis in that order with similar numbers and similar competition. Then Bieksa is a couple notches below those guys in both Corsi and QoC (though he does start in the defensive end more than those 3).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Garrison's results are actually fairly good in terms of possession stats and GF and GA when on the ice, but he does look to be struggling with some aspects of his game and some of his results may simply be luck right now. Hopefully those problems will work themselves out over time.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
The Blues are a good team, even if they've had a string of bad games recently. I honestly wouldn't be surprised by a loss.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
The Blues are a good team, even if they've had a string of bad games recently. I honestly wouldn't be surprised by a loss.

Yeah, I think that's why most of us will be interested in seeing how we match up against them. They're a playoff team.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Really Really hope Garrison gets better soon

A turnover machine in the defensive zone
Can't hit a parked Zamboni from the point

Ya I've been slowly moving my way from denial to depression. He's got to be better than this?

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Can someone please explain to me what a corsi or whatever it's called is?

I've asked several times on here and no one can give me an answer or I've forgotten.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ballard and Tanev have the best Corsi ratings, but they face pretty easy competition. After that it's Edler, Garrison, and Hamhuis in that order with similar numbers and similar competition. Then Bieksa is a couple notches below those guys in both Corsi and QoC (though he does start in the defensive end more than those 3).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Garrison's results are actually fairly good in terms of possession stats and GF and GA when on the ice, but he does look to be struggling with some aspects of his game and some of his results may simply be luck right now. Hopefully those problems will work themselves out over time.

JG just seems jumpy and too reactive to the play. He needs to read the situations better and get some poise in his game.

Maybe give Ballard and Tanev a tougher QoC, and then ease Garrison and Bieksa into their easier minutes. Maybe that allows the pairing to settle down and start to play the right way.

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
So glad we'll get to see a new batch of opponents this week instead of the usual crop of scrubs. (I'm looking at you, Northwest Division "rivals")

Sidenote: Just noticed on HockeyDB that Alex Edler will play his 400th game tomorrow, so.. yeah.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
This will be a really good test for the Canucks. Right now, I think the three teams most likely to win the West are Vancouver, Chicago and St.Louis. The games against the Blues and the Blackhawks will be interesting to watch for a few reasons.

Personally, I'm interested to see how the Canucks D handles some pretty explosive forwards. They have all been pretty inconsistent thus far, I think it will be interesting to watch the minutes / match ups. Do Ballard and Tanev still play as much, how will Garrison look?

I'll also be really interested to see if AV uses the Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line against the Perron/Oshie line. I think the speed of that line is perfect for shutting down skilled, quick players like Perron and Oshie. Would also love to see that line match up against the Kane line in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad