GDT: Game 14: Buffalo Hot Garbage @ Arizona Garbage Plate | 7:00PM PDT | FS-A

What is the best food to come out of Buffalo/Western New York?

• Garbage Plate - Rochester NY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Chances are we wouldnt have those leads in the first place with tippett as coach. I agree we probably would have more points so far with tippett (a couple more OT losses at least), but we really had to move on..

Don't disagree - we maybe have 5-8 games that we actually scored first in, as opposed to 10 games. But we sure as hell would be more situationally aware....

And we moved on by getting systematically worse, which I didn't even think was possible. No one did. As rt said - he didn't expect us to be the worst team. Growing pains - sure. But the worst team? Nah. And my understanding is that the players are super receptive to this system, etc. so when you have a team that is open to this system, has more talent than we ever had, and wants to shake this stigma of where we have been for the past 5 years, we should be better.

I feel like this points to a lack of leadership in the room (expected without Doan), but that falls back on the decision to rotate captains and it also speaks to a lacking on the coach's part to not see the pitfalls in system.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
All evidence to the contrary. Players still don't know their assignments. Players still don't know where they should be when a defenseman pinches. Players still don't know where to be on set plays. That's all on Tocchet.

Tocchet is the problem. A better coach would have a team with this young talent miles ahead of where they are.
I wouldn't say tocchet is THE problem, but I think he's a problem. I think we have a lot of problems. Any team that wins one of their first 14 has many many problems haha.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I had to shut off the game after that 2 on 0 shorthanded goal against. I'm just totally sick of the freebies every single game. If the Yotes get beat by a team that just did well and earned their goals... so be it. But the amount of goals given up from this careless nonsense is beyond comprehension. If people have to be benched, it has to be done. RT needs to drop the hammer on these guys (especially the vets making these mistakes).

I do feel bad for Raanta. Injured this whole time and comes back to play in that mess? Woof!

This team desperately needs to come together as a unit. Stand up for each other at least. Keller got blasted a couple of times last night and the Coyotes never responded (either by chirping at the guy or throwing a hit at one of their main scorers...something). That, to me, is a sign of a team that has a weak bond.

All that said, I'll still watch and hope. I think we are better than this. I can see when they do put it together... it CAN work. Now they just need to do it the whole game without these catastrophic breakdowns.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I had to shut off the game after that 2 on 0 shorthanded goal against. I'm just totally sick of the freebies every single game. If the Yotes get beat by a team that just did well and earned their goals... so be it. But the amount of goals given up from this careless nonsense is beyond comprehension. If people have to be benched, it has to be done. RT needs to drop the hammer on these guys (especially the vets making these mistakes).

I do feel bad for Raanta. Injured this whole time and comes back to play in that mess? Woof!

This team desperately needs to come together as a unit. Stand up for each other at least. Keller got blasted a couple of times last night and the Coyotes never responded (either by chirping at the guy or throwing a hit at one of their main scorers...something). That, to me, is a sign of a team that has a weak bond.

All that said, I'll still watch and hope. I think we are better than this. I can see when they do put it together... it CAN work. Now they just need to do it the whole game without these catastrophic breakdowns.

You are right, it can work, and we got rid of the country club last year, so RT dropping the hammer should have already happened, right?

Or is this the case of people accusing a country club atmosphere of occurring last year, and truthfully, not knowing a damn thing?

Reactions: Jakey53

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Funny how so many jump ship, when only a month ago most were all smiles about our team and what was done during the off season. I know it's tough to watch them now, but we have a NHL team which is a huge privilege and I will support them through thick and thin.

I did mention that I go to 13 games every year. I'd call that support. The "jumping ship" part in my case only applies to a moved team. I support only Arizona sports teams because I've lived here for 32 years.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It is foolish to use Tocchet's failure as a defense of Tippett's tenure. I am sensitive to Tippett's outgoing remark at the end of last year that when Vrbata is the team's best player, they clearly need better players. Tippett was frustrated and clearly wanted out, so you can't project what he would have done with this year's roster. It is equally foolish to defend Tocchet's coaching in order to validate overheated emotional antagonism against Tippett. We went from one bad situation to another.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
All evidence to the contrary. Players still don't know their assignments. Players still don't know where they should be when a defenseman pinches. Players still don't know where to be on set plays. That's all on Tocchet.

Tocchet is the problem. A better coach would have a team with this young talent miles ahead of where they are.

Coming from a guy who is neutral on Tippett, it was striking just how much better the team looked in the first game of the 2005-06 season. Passes were on the tape, defensemen knew when to jump in, and there was structure. Beginning this season, it is equally striking just how much worse this team looks for many of the same reasons. A lazy argument would be to blame individual lapses, but after more than a dozen games in, how can anybody argue that it's anything but a systematic problem?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
This is exactly the sweeping it under the rug attitude we don't need. "Well he's a playmaker so it's ok". Turning a blind eye to the fan favorite, while putting another players shortcomings under the microscope doesn't make Domi's 7 goal pace(over an 82 game season) acceptable.

Duclair is scoring at a 20 goal pace this season by the way. Max Domi? 6 goal pace.

Not sure you quite understand. That’s like asking nick Hjarlmarsson to pot you 20. That’s not his game, he’s a stay at home D man.

Domi, like I said has never been a natural goal scorer, he, even himself, has made that clear that he is a bonified play maker. Domi should be the last guy we’re getting on. He’s been electric, in my opinion. He’s made plays to keep this team in games.

No ones sweeping anything under the rug, it’s just pure logic and the way a player plays and their individual intangibles.

Now, should he be scoring more goals, yes, but not at an alarming rate, just not his game, he’s still producing though.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Just read through all 11 pages:
  • We should beat Buffalo
  • Raanta's back!
  • Great 1st period for 19:59
  • OEL playing well
  • 1-1 uh oh
  • 2 on 0
  • Shenn falls down
  • KC falls down
  • WT.....
  • No leadership
  • Not Tocchet's fault
  • Rinaldo plays hard
  • Late push, too late.
  • Dave Tippett

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Just read through all 11 pages:
  • We should beat Buffalo
  • Raanta's back!
  • Great 1st period for 19:59
  • OEL playing well
  • 1-1 uh oh
  • 2 on 0
  • Shenn falls down
  • KC falls down
  • WT.....
  • No leadership
  • Not Tocchet's fault
  • Rinaldo plays hard
  • Late push, too late.
  • Dave Tippett

Would you say that the read was as ugly as the second period? :banghead:

Reactions: Jakey53 and AZviaNJ

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I guess my BIGGEST disappointment is our D-corp. Wasn't this supposed to be one of the true strenghts of the team? I understand Chychrun being out is somewhat of a setback, but NOBODY has come close to playing up to their potential. Sad, just sad...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I want to see how this team plays with a healthy roster before I consider blaming the HC for what's going on.

Injuries happen. We were without Domi and Richardson last year for nearly 100 man games. Hanzal would consistently miss 15-25 games. Boedker missed half a season with a ruptured spleen. Doan with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from the tick bite. Vrbata missed 14 games in the strike-shortened season.

Arguably, we lost the most valuable position this year with Raanta being out, but not necessarily the best player - which is what a lot of these past injuries involved (remember Boedker was at the top in points with 28 in 45 games, Doan had 47 in 69 with the tick).

I just don't see the merits in saying how we want to "wait" to see what injuries occur before putting it on the coach, when clearly, people were willing to put it on the coach previously without accounting for injuries that occurred.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
John MacClain is standing there right behind the bench. Make him interim head coach.

For a scary view of him, PBS is running the new 10 part Ken Burns documentary on the Vietnam War. I'd never seen video of him as a POW. Good on him for living through that and becoming a successful politician, but wow.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
It's time to institute my "I don't have time to watch the Coyotes Suck this bad" method of watching on TV. If they get down by two, I watch it in 2x fast-forward. For every goal against, I increase the speed. For every goal for, I decrease the speed.

This is usually something I do in the spring, but I guess Spring comes early this year.

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It's time to institute my "I don't have time to watch the Coyotes Suck this bad" method of watching on TV. If they get down by two, I watch it in 2x fast-forward. For every goal against, I increase the speed. For every goal for, I decrease the speed.

This is usually something I do in the spring, but I guess Spring comes early this year.

This is pretty close to what I do, too. Gotta love the DVR. Never spend more than 90 minutes watching a game.

Reactions: RABBIT and Murf

Dirty Old Man

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That has to be some serious statistical anomaly for all those first goals yet all these losses :laugh:

That was a good question...in the NHL.com stats tool, in ~1500 team-seasons going back 100 years, the worst win % when scoring first was the 1992-93 Senators , 5-17-4 for .204.

We're at 1-8-1 for .100. Breathtaking.

Hell only 22 of those 1500 seasons had a worse win percentage when the *opponent* scores 1st. And only 9 of those were for seasons longer than 48 games :D

(heh, the worst season longer than 48 games - win pct opponent scoring 1st - was 05-06 Pittsburgh going 3-38-9 for .060... that would be Crosby's rookie season... so a good sign for Keller?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad