GDT: Game 14 | Anaheim Ducks @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
If not for turnovers and a random stick explosion, we're wining that game. This lineup is capable of still winning. The constant brain farts have to stop. They are getting frustrating to watch.

Ian White's stick exploding was an all timer for bad luck, hard to think of one that resulted in a better scoring opportunity for the other team.

But the turnovers- that's the Wings playing poorly, not focusing, etc, so that has to be held against them. Even fully healthy, I don't think they are talented enough this year to overcome the sheer volume of horrible turnovers they are committing everywhere on the ice, especially in their own end.

It's like football for me- winning teams avoid, or at least minimize, turnovers.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I disagree. Quincey hasn't looked solid at all and the reason you don't hear of him so often since the first 3-4 games has more to do with him playing much less and against an easier opposition. He has improved, sure, but he still falls down at random and makes real boneheaded mistakes too often. At least he blocks shots so we can see him suffer for it. :sarcasm:

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Teams have learned to just fore check the crap out of us. It's so easy for them to make us turn it over. I've never watched a team have a harder time getting the puck out if their own zone like we do.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Ian White's stick exploding was an all timer for bad luck, hard to think of one that resulted in a better scoring opportunity for the other team.

But the turnovers- that's the Wings playing poorly, not focusing, etc, so that has to be held against them. Even fully healthy, I don't think they are talented enough this year to overcome the sheer volume of horrible turnovers they are committing everywhere on the ice, especially in their own end.

It's like football for me- winning teams avoid, or at least minimize, turnovers.

Yeah many of us suspected our defense was going to be mediocre with Lidstrom retiring and Suter signing with Minnesota. This is just confirmation that our defense isn't that good and Kronwall will never be a #1 d-man. It's not "bad luck" that only three more teams in the West have allowed more goals than the Red Wings; it's the cold, hard reality that our defense is no longer good.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Teams have learned to just fore check the crap out of us. It's so easy for them to make us turn it over. I've never watched a team have a harder time getting the puck out if their own zone like we do.

I have noticed this too. A team with a good forecheck just destroys the Wings. They make so many mistakes because of it. Lidstrom, and Rafi made it so easy to get the puck out of the zone.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
They'd be crazy to send Tatar back down to GR. This kid is an NHL player. He provides energy and puck possession on that third line. Two goals in two games. Please don't send him back down.

He scores too much, gotta send him down to get him overripe. :sarcasm:

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Our youngsters are the best thing we have going for us right now, i hope Holland sees that and keeps them up and playing. Damien Brunner was the oldest player last night to register a point for us.

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Four game home stand and you only get 5/8 points. Wings have had a cake schedule and they weren't able to take advantage of it. This next month will determine whether they make the playoffs.

HTT3*

Four game home stand and you only get 5/8 points. Wings have had a cake schedule and they weren't able to take advantage of it. This next month will determine whether they make the playoffs.

Not really cake when you're missing half of your top 6, backup goalie (who would give Howard time to rest) and energy player like Helm.

Take Toews, Hossa, Bolland, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Rozsival, Emery, and a few plugs out and see how cake their schedule is.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Not really cake when you're missing half of your top 6, backup goalie (who would give Howard time to rest) and energy player like Helm.

Take Toews, Hossa, Bolland, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, Rozsival, Emery, and a few plugs out and see how cake their schedule is.

Hawks played almost all of their games on the road.

Also, why would you take out Toews, Hossa and Bolland? The only forward that matters who is injured is Helm.

The D that did go down are average at best. Injuries are a nice excuse to explain why this team is performing like ****, but the cold hard truth is............they just aren't good.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If you look at the Wings' lineup in this game, you are looking at a last place team, end of story. I think the Wings in their *best* lineup can be a 5-8 seed playoff team, but this lineup isn't going anywhere except a reasonably high draft pick.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Also, why would you take out Toews, Hossa and Bolland? The only forward that matters who is injured is Helm.

The D that did go down are average at best. Injuries are a nice excuse to explain why this team is performing like ****, but the cold hard truth is............they just aren't good.

Franzen and Datsyuk don't matter? You aren't taking those three out, he's saying having all of those guys plus their schedule= having their way with their opposition. Frankly, they're the best team out their. So any team they face is lesser. They also don't have to play any eastern conference teams.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

i would say if you take out 3 of any teams top 5 forwards they would lose

fortunately for us thats not the case as datsyuk missed one game and franzen 2 while the rest are bottom 5 forwards and bottom pairing dman(more or less)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I dont know what you are complaining about wingedwheel.

You got what you wanted.

Nyquist and Tatar and Anderson as well in the lineup.

You are a little argumentative and always negative.

You know who you remind me of? Alice in Wonderland... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Give you a week in charge and we would have no players alive.

Here is what is going on:

1) Our team is a 6-8 playoff spot team
2) We are RIDDLED with injuries.
3) Howard is a fine keeper, tell me Miller is crap this year too? No he has been great, but his team infront of him is even worse than ours... so he is getting mauled. Also ever wonder why every goalie from pheonix is awesome? Its the system.
4) People here are complaining as if we were supposed to win this game... we were supposed to lose healthy, with 5 rookies, we were supposed to be killed.

All things considered it was a good game.

CloneHakanPlease*

I dont know what you are complaining about wingedwheel.

You got what you wanted.

Nyquist and Tatar and Anderson as well in the lineup.

You are a little argumentative and always negative.

You know who you remind me of? Alice in Wonderland... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Give you a week in charge and we would have no players alive.

Here is what is going on:

1) Our team is a 6-8 playoff spot team
2) We are RIDDLED with injuries.
3) Howard is a fine keeper, tell me Miller is crap this year too? No he has been great, but his team infront of him is even worse than ours... so he is getting mauled. Also ever wonder why every goalie from pheonix is awesome? Its the system.
4) People here are complaining as if we were supposed to win this game... we were supposed to lose healthy, with 5 rookies, we were supposed to be killed.

All things considered it was a good game.

Agreed, I'm not mad at all. Not even at Howard, as it's clear he is overworked. People have unrealistic expectations for this team. Even with a full roster this team is not an elite team in the league, so it's unrealistic to expect elite results. Sooner some of these blind supporters realize it, the sooner you won't be as frustrated as the on-ice product.

DatsyukianDeke*

“If you give away the puck, you can't win,'' Babcock said.

He replayed the disastrous 48-second span early in the third period Friday, when Andrew Cogliano and Bobby Ryan scored on odd-man rushes to give the Ducks a 4-2 lead.

“Two freebies,'' Babcock said. “Kuba (Jakub Kindl) is not in the right spot, should be over here helping out. (Niklas) Kronwall's pass to Fil (Valtteri Filppula) is off his stick, Kuba's not back defensively to look after it.

“Whitey's (Ian White) got it along the wall on a line change, just gives it away, two-on-one. That's the game.

“So, we do everything for 40 minutes to be set up to win and two plays with the puck … We're not the type of team, with what we have, that we're going to recover from turning the puck over. People can say you're bad defensively, well, we weren't bad defensively, there's no defense for turnovers. It's puck plays that give it to us two nights in a row.

“We can't do it and we got to look after it quick because we need points.''

--Coach Mike Babcock said he hadn't decided on his lines, but he used Valtteri Filppula with Henrik Zetterberg and Damien Brunner. He's not happy with Filppula's play and said he needs to get it together.

What about Cleary, Babcock ?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Nothing Cleary did directly lead to a goal against, which is what Kronwall and co. did.

I think he was talking more about Babcock blasting Filppula when Cleary hasn't done anything all season.

While I find all of the Cleary comments extremely annoying and overwhelming, it still doesn't make any sense why he's still playing as much as he is.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I think he was talking more about Babcock blasting Filppula when Cleary hasn't done anything all season.

While I find all of the Cleary comments extremely annoying and overwhelming, it still doesn't make any sense why he's still playing as much as he is.

Frankly I would like to know as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->