GDT: Game 14 | Anaheim Ducks @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Just about everything has been mentioned so far, but the goaltending management has been bad too. Mrazek gets 1 start, plays great... rides pine. It's the same story every. single. game. for Howard. He'll keep you in the 1st, but anything after that is a crap shoot. Not saying tonight is his fault by any means, but he has given up 4 or more goals in 4 in his last 6 starts...

Howie needs to stop being so ultra aggressive on every play. A goalie who stays more in the crease doesn't allow Cogliano's little tip that didn't even lift from the ice. Countless of similar examples this season, where if he didn't move outside the crease on every approaching odd man rush or breakaway, he might've had a much better chance to stop the puck. Needs to play with more patience.

I guess the silver lining is that he's playing his value down in a season that doesn't matter too much how it goes.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Emmerton is much better this season. Good to see some growth from him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think it was almost impossilbe to win this game with this lineup. We simply have too many injuries and the Ducks are red hot.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Allen gets his first win of his career against detroit, what does Hitchcock do? Start him again against the flames, and he gets the 2nd win.

Babcock has got to trust Mrazek.....

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...He's stuck in his ways and has some irrational intense loyalty to Dan Cleary.

Thats the way it is. Cleary (after years) has earned the trust, it will take months (years?) to erase the memory of his past heroics.

...I don't think Quincey is a better player than Kronwall. Maybe its luck, maybe its his opposition or just the forwards on the ice with him performing better, but somehow he has been far more effective than Kronwall this season at even strength.

As unorthodox and erratic Q has been he is having better results. Learning to play defense myself, I will say it is mostly chance (luck) that allows goals not to be scored on your shift. It's just the way the puck bounces.

The Wings were missing more than 1/3 of their line-up including their entire top line, most of their 3rd line, a top 4 defenceman and a bunch of depth players.

No team will be able to contend missing this many players. The rebuilding process has been underway for a while now, which is why our most effective players tonight were 2 call-ups from the AHL.

Hopefully Tatar at least has earned a regular roster spot when everyone gets healthy.

This can't be understated. Our team is riddled with injuries, and still the very proud RW forum was expecting a competitive game, which we got. I mean this is insane to now have Datsyuk out? Who's next, Zetterburg and Filppula?

I love that even after a game featuring that many horrific defensive breakdowns where nobody on the ice looked like they knew what they were doing, half the posts are still about Dan Cleary :laugh: He has sucked, that's well established. We don't need a hundred posts a day beating that same drum (especially after weeks of same).

Get used to the thunder. A blind man could see how ineffective, weak, and decrepit the play of DC is, especially compared to the chances he used to create out of hustle. Things just used to go right for him. Wings fans are not blind, they have a great awareness of each play, so the honesty will fly as it should. I am peeved that Cleary won't step himself down and tell coach "hey I'm not where I should be, give me less responsibility." I yell watching him but ultimately feel so much pity for what is happening.

...With that being said though, if you want the Wings to make the playoffs we have to have Datsyuk healthy. He is clearly the life blood of this team and one of the few forwards capable of creating his own offense...

**** it's like 2 different teams. The Detroit Griffins vs. the Motown Marvelos. Datsyuk is a phenomenal hockey player, what a personality.

Zetterburg looked sore. So did Filppula. Fil had his ABSOLUTE worst game I've seen this year. Behind the plays, his timing was off, mismanaging passes, etc. He must be laboring. Too bad there isn't an excuse for Brunner though! :) Stupid penalty and some frustrating overplays. I know he's getting schooled every shift and that is great for his development. No pain, no gain.

Damn for a while there we had the lead and it would have been an amazing victory. I do feel Anaheim deserved the win, seemed like only a matter of time. Well on to the Wild on HDIA, that is a true rivalry. Last year was the Sharks but the year before that was Minnesota, an all out war. Lets Go Red Wings!

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Allen gets his first win of his career against detroit, what does Hitchcock do? Start him again against the flames, and he gets the 2nd win.

Why Babcock/Holland refuse to utilize the depth of the team is beyond me. There's a reason you have an AHL All Star goaltender on your roster. Just play him! I could understand why Howard played the last two games, but I definitely think after two losses, you should give the kid a nod...

It's just like how Holland refuses to call up guys like Smith, Nyquist, and Tatar because he wants to get them ice time... maybe if Babcock actually utilized these guys when they ARE called up, they wouldn't get sent back down so quickly. Instead, Abdelkader and Cleary embarrass themselves playing roles they just can't handle, and all Babcock does is give Tatar less ice time than he had one game previous, in a game where he is the biggest stud on the entire team... after he just scored a goal the game before as well. Clearly the kid has the hot hand, just put him on the ice.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
They'd be crazy to send Tatar back down to GR. This kid is an NHL player. He provides energy and puck possession on that third line. Two goals in two games. Please don't send him back down.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
They'd be crazy to send Tatar back down to GR. This kid is an NHL player. He provides energy and puck possession on that third line. Two goals in two games. Please don't send him back down.

But but...but, then they would have to waive Silver-Lining-Mursak/Patty Eaves/Picked-up-on-Waivers-Miller for roster limit reasons.... KH would never be that Cruel :O

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I fail to see how the two situations are even remotely comparable

1: Allen is a year and a half older than Mrazek
2: Allen is in his 3rd season at the pro level,Mrazek is in his 1st
3: Babcock's other option is Jimmy Howard,Hitchcock's other option is Brian Elliott

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

3: Babcock's other option is Jimmy Howard,Hitchcock's other option is Brian Elliott
Matter of principle. Babcock doesn't reward good play with more playing/icetime. He looks at the name of the jersey and base the icetime after that.

People overrate Howard big time over here. Whenever he "steals" a game the opponent still score 2-3 goals on him, as was the case against L.A, when was the last time Howard had a shutout when He dominated and the team in front played like ****?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Very. Small. Sample. Size. Babcock is not going to lose sleep over one situation that turned out well for playing the rookie goaltender.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I think it was almost impossilbe to win this game with this lineup. We simply have too many injuries and the Ducks are red hot.

If not for turnovers and a random stick explosion, we're wining that game. This lineup is capable of still winning. The constant brain farts have to stop. They are getting frustrating to watch.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Very. Small. Sample. Size. Babcock is not going to lose sleep over one situation that turned out well for playing the rookie goaltender.

Very different scenarios at St. Louis and at Detroit between Mrazek and Allen.

First of all, their 1st goaltender Halak is injured and backup Elliot is sucking like a vacuum cleaner. Howard is doing fine. Using Mrazek could get him rest, fine, but that doesn't make a difference in the team effort.

Also, when you check a little bit sharper what happened at Calgary, the Blues did scored twice against struggling Leland Irving with 4 shots in 4 minutes. Then, they put Joey MacDonald (who hasn't played for a year) on the net. Blues scored three more. Allen wins, mainly because the opposite team has bigger goaltender problems than the Blues are having (Kipper injured, rookie-Irving struggling and MacDonald totally out of game shape).

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Dare I say it, but Emmerton is really looking like solid this year; by far the most improved player on this team. If he keeps this up, I think it's fair to say I that completely misjudged his potential (as far as a 3rd/4th liner goes, anyway, but hey... he's doing everything that I like and expect out of that role thus far), and am more than willing to eat my share of crow on this one.

Kids looked good. I like Andersson (good size, solid on draws), and Tatar is really fun to watch; brings a ton of energy that the majority of our depth guys only wish they could match. Too bad none of them are long for this roster when the dead weight arrives. God, Samulesson... ugh.

Otherwise, not much else to say. Really don't know what you guys all see in Lashoff; he's not as stupid or clumsy looking as Quincey, but that's not to say he's any good. I still like Kindl's upside a lot more, and as of right now, Huskins is probably the better defenseman... but hey, whatevs.

Last edited:

we like our team*

Very different scenarios at St. Louis and at Detroit between Mrazek and Allen.

First of all, their 1st goaltender Halak is injured and backup Elliot is sucking like a vacuum cleaner. Howard is doing fine. Using Mrazek could get him rest, fine, but that doesn't make a difference in the team effort.

he... is?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
he... is?

Patrick Roy let in 9 goals once with a crap team in front of him. A poor performance in front of the goalie usually leads to a poor performance from the goalie. Too many odd man rushes and Kronwall screenings have made it difficult for him to perform well. He's not playing as well as we're used to seeing him, but it's not all his fault.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Patrick Roy let in 9 goals once with a crap team in front of him. A poor performance in front of the goalie usually leads to a poor performance from the goalie. Too many odd man rushes and Kronwall screenings have made it difficult for him to perform well. He's not playing as well as we're used to seeing him, but it's not all his fault.

A great goalie overcomes bad play by his D and gets the shutout, not always but sometimes.

All of howard's shutouts are because the opposition played like ****, few shots etc, he didn't get a shutout where he stole the games.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
A great goalie overcomes bad play by his D and gets the shutout, not always but sometimes.

All of howard's shutouts are because the opposition played like ****, few shots etc, he didn't get a shutout where he stole the games.

Yeah... And all of Patrick Roy's success came in a league not used to Butterfly goalies, and all of Datsyuk's goals are because everyone's just staring at him. I can make garbage up too. But I'll back it up with facts. A 41 SA shutout is hardly "sucking," especially when you were severely outshot like that. Howard's a good goalie. He can steal games. Saying a good goalie is good regardless of his situation is something someone who doesn't play the game at a professional level says. Too easy to sit on your behind and type that crap.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

thats true, elliot was only one half of the best two goalies in the NHL last year(also an all-star for that lame arguement)

DatsyukianDeke*

Tatar - 6GP - 4 Points
Anderson - 4GP - 2 Points

is apparently less valuable then

Cleary 14GP - 1 Point
Abdelkader - 14GP - 1 Point

Also, this quote scares me a bit.

Babcock said. “You’re playing a good team, obviously we’re short-staffed, but the guys were playing good, and in the end it didn’t work out the way we wanted.''

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
i feel like babcock is just going through the motions with the team now i love him and think hes one of the best but i feel like hes being like a jim leyland right now just repeating the same things over and over

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Andersson has been 65% at faceoff rink in his 4 games (22/35 that makes almost 9 faceoffs per game). Immediately an upgrade over Emmerton, that is still in 47% at his second season.

Andersson 23/35 = 65.7%
Datsyuk 137/226 = 60.6%
Filppula 48/89 = 53.9%
Abdelkader 59/111 = 53.2%
Zetterberg 117/229 = 51.1%
Emmerton 57/120 = 47.5%

(Helm 6/14 = 42.8%)

We have been pretty good at faceoffs at this season.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Should have taken a win here. Team looked bad after Anaheim's second goal.

Nyquist didn't look great but he needs more games there. Hard to adjust to NHL by playing in minors.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I think people on this board are going a little overboard with the Quincey hate. Since the first three or four games he has been solid. You rarely hear his name which IMO is great. Yeah he's not worth the money he's paid.. But remember he's also trying to fill a different roll then what he was used to in col and la..

Kindl is being harped on too much too.The guy has looked good to me and makes an excellent outlet pass, plays physical and is getting better.

The last five games I'd say Ericsson, Quincey and kindl have been the most steady from the defense standpoint.. Kronwall and lashoff have been horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->