Post-Game Talk: Game #13| Feb. 11, 2013|Flyers at Maple Leafs |(Continuation of GDT)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It appears that Timonen has called out a player or more:

“I still think it comes down to individual preparation....And that’s a learning process to me. It’s time to learn right now.”

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Good. He should have gotten the captaincy. This team still plays like a bunch of kids instead of professionals. The effort level tonight was absolutely unacceptable. Toronto doesn't have more skill than the flyers, they just played with exceedingly more effort.

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Besides the fact he scored the only goal, Simmonds looked like the best Flyer on the ice tonight IMO. Lavi noticed as he saw a lot of TOI , especially on the PP.

Grossman was terribad tonight. Besides that nice saucer pass to Read in front of their net, Giroux looked awful as well.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Anyone else done with Foster experiment if Lavy refuses to use him on top pp, I think I would rather Lilja. Puke.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Awful game. Bryz was horrifying. Orr scored, give me a break.

Giroux is starting to remind me of Pelle Eklund. The only difference was Eklund was elite for years before dropping off, and Giroux was good for five minutes. Not good he needs to do better.

Did you just call Pelle Eklund elite? He never was a PPG player and he played during the highest scoring period in the league. I mean he was a good player for a few seasons, but elite?

People need to take a step back about Giroux. He will turn it around. This is an abnormal season and it's clearly impacted him some, but he will rebound and he doesn't flat out suck for the rest of his career because of a rough stretch.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

G maybe cause B. Schenn, Voracek, Read, Simmonds, McGinn, Feds, Sestito, Rinaldo and even Talbot were hardly the problem. That leaves G and Briere up front. On d who is he gonna call out? Grossmann, Schenn and Gervais have all been better then expected. That only leaves Coburn and Foster on d. No one expected foster to worth anything so the way I see it he's calling out g

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Did you just call Pelle Eklund elite? He never was a PPG player and he played during the highest scoring period in the league. I mean he was a good player for a few seasons, but elite?

People need to take a step back about Giroux. He will turn it around. This is an abnormal season and it's clearly impacted him some, but he will rebound and he doesn't flat out suck for the rest of his career because of a rough stretch.

My bad meant to say good. Point still stands though.

FlyersHockeyNow

Feb 10, 2013
We just aren't the same team we used to be in 2010. I am upset with everything we did. Doesn't make sense to trade our whole team away after battling so well in the playoffs that year, especially to Boston. Hopefully it doesnt keep going this way because we were going on the right track.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
My bad meant to say good. Point still stands though.

No, your point is still a bit of an over-exaggeration. Giroux is still very young and like I said this is a weird season and one where he's been given more responsibility than ever before. It's ok to be disappointed, but to write off a guy's career after a rough 12 games is ridiculous.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs Fan here.

Something had to give, two teams that struggled on the road/home, too bad it was very one sided.

I feel that this game was all about the bounces, the Leafs got them and the Flyers didn't. Flyers had some good pressure to start the game and could have had the Leafs down 2-0 early. That save on Read while SH was the game changer IMHO, if Read scores a SH goal, that's a huge momentum builder.

Leafs got Lucky in the second with some quick strikes, likely won't happen again for the entire year.

That's just the way it goes sometimes, I'm sure Flyers will come out great next time.

Btw, can we pleaseeee have Simmonds? Used to see him all the time in Toronto when he was younger, always knew he was going to be a stud.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
For a goalie tomorrow? I think Bryzgalov. You need to do anything to enhance the chances of victory coming off this fiasco and there are a few days until the next game (Friday).

I think as well, after such a **** game you go back to him and say, have at it again, the guys will play better, this wasn't on you.

Bryz would get the nod from me if I was coach. I'd also put Wellwood in and take out one of Sestito/Rinaldo.

Go with

Schenn - Roo - Vora
Read - Coots - Briere
Mcginn - Fed - Simmonds
Rinaldo/Sestito - Talbot - Wellwood/Knuble

Cobrun - Timmo
Gross - Schenn
Foster - Gervais

play the hell out of the top 4 D, or plug Schenn and Gross in to the Gervais line more often than not.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Worst-case scenario is that this team plays mediocre hockey and ends up just in or just out of the playoffs.

Way too many games where there is an abject lack of effort, cohesive play or all-around competitiveness. I'm still against major trades, but there has to be some accountability. Fire the assistant coaches. Take the C from Giroux, with his okay. Start sitting players.

But we've seen this movie before. The team comes out game after game with no spark, or they just shut down for whole periods. It really is unacceptable for a team to look so lost for such long stretches of a game.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Leafs Fan here.

Something had to give, two teams that struggled on the road/home, too bad it was very one sided.

I feel that this game was all about the bounces, the Leafs got them and the Flyers didn't. Flyers had some good pressure to start the game and could have had the Leafs down 2-0 early. That save on Read while SH was the game changer IMHO, if Read scores a SH goal, that's a huge momentum builder.

Leafs got Lucky in the second with some quick strikes, likely won't happen again for the entire year.

That's just the way it goes sometimes, I'm sure Flyers will come out great next time.

Btw, can we pleaseeee have Simmonds? Used to see him all the time in Toronto when he was younger, always knew he was going to be a stud.

Simmonds for Kessel? :sarcasm:

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
We just aren't the same team we used to be in 2010. I am upset with everything we did. Doesn't make sense to trade our whole team away after battling so well in the playoffs that year, especially to Boston. Hopefully it doesnt keep going this way because we were going on the right track.

So, what you're saying is you want Leighton to be our starting goalie? I don't follow...

Also, essentially the same team got embarrassed by Boston in 2011. I love what happened in 2010 and I will always have a special place for that team in my heart, but there had to be changes.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here are the Timonen quotes in context:

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/flyers-open-road-trip-ugly-loss-leafs

The six-game trip continues Tuesday night in Winnipeg.

“We gave them those turnovers,” Kimmo Timonen said of the middle stanza. “Sometimes you have to play a simple game and we didn’t do that.”

Timonen said the club’s road woes comes down to, “individual preparation.”

“Doesn’t matter if you are home or away you have to play consistent,” he said. “Once you come on the road you have to prepare yourself even more.

“There’s no fans behind you, no one cheering your name. That’s a learning process to me and it’s time to learn this right now.”

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Outshoot Toronto 46-24. Lose game 5-2. I only watched the first period but I wonder how many of those shots were actually of good quality.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
You're failing to recognize the team's needs though. If the offense (Giroux in particular), would play up to par, we wouldn't need JVR. We did need help on defense, so we dealt a position of strength for a weakness. Could we have gotten more for JVR? That's debatable, but it wouldn't have been anything more than a mid round pick. We could have kept JVR, but we would be the same team from last year, scoring more and playing horrendous defense.

I disagree regarding what we could have gotten for JVR. We sold at his lowest possible value. If he had a good month here we could've gotten some value for him at the deadline. Bringing the Schenns together is the x-factor in it I guess, but that motive didn't really do it for me. I guess there's no sense getting myself all annoyed about it now. At least Luke is turning out to be a decent D-man.

I appreciate your point regarding team needs, but I would disagree that I failed to recognize it. I just have a different philosophy I suppose. You start to tailor your trade to team needs when youre gearing up for title contention. When you're still a player or two away you don't lose trades just to band-aid areas of need. And we don't have a cup calibre team. The D and net minding haven't been bad. Our offense needs a spark, so even with the team argument in mind, you could make a case for having kept JVR. That is a bit misleading though IMO, as I think a good puck mover besides Kimmo is really what we are missing at the moment. When Mezsaros is healthy and paired with a guy like Coburn I think he fills that role well enough, but his health hasn't ever been somehting that can be depended on.

I personally feel that a Schenn-lite player could have been signed in free agency or traded for and we would not have felt the difference as much as we are missing a healthy JVR's game right now. I do recognize this isn't JVR's first streak however, so this line of thinking may bite me in the ass, but I'll just have to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad