GDT: Game 13: Coyotes @ Avalanche | 2-11-13 | 7PM | FSN Arizona

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
You guys easily have one of the most dynamic teams in the NHL. You guys outplayed us all night tonight, too. I bet that ref is going to lose some sleep tonight. It's hard not to like the Avs, so much potential, great history, great fans. If the Coyotes ever leave Arizona, Colorado might just be my runner up.

Ill drink to that, I've already decided if the Coyotes leave, the Avs will be my team, since their relatively close to Phoenix, plus I like their history and their current roster. 'Sides the California teams and Dallas have p***** me off way too much over the years to ever root for them.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
But couldn't you credit the Yotes with a forecheck that forced the Avs to play it up the boards and into the ref?
Yeah, I was thinking nice job Chipchura... ref's part of the ice - you wanna clear the zone? don't hit him. It's not like he wasn't trying to get out of the way, it hit his up-ice skate.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Really wish we coulda screwed the Blackhawks or the Kings instead of the Avs. Feel bad for them. If it were LA or Chicago I'd be rubbing my ass in their face.

The Kings keep shooting themselves in the foot and it's a matter of when the Blackhawks will come down to earth with their issues on D and goaltending.

Plus if you say my last GDT I made vs the Kings, I did rub it in alot.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Wow. Just watched the highlights from the 3rd.. I am speechless. I actually feel terrible for the ref hahaha :laugh:
You know he feels like ****. You can even tell from his initial reaction when he bumps the puck right to Chip..

Nice to see Doan got the winner...

Side note:

Avs fans seem like a classy bunch.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You guys easily have one of the most dynamic teams in the NHL. You guys outplayed us all night tonight, too. I bet that ref is going to lose some sleep tonight. It's hard not to like the Avs, so much potential, great history, great fans. If the Coyotes ever leave Arizona, Colorado might just be my runner up.

Haha i'll take the compliment, but honestly this is probably the 3rd best game we played this year. If you watched the other games where we got blown out... 'dynamic' wouldn't be the first word that came to your mind.

Actually, this is one of the first games in a loooong time we never saw the Avs do purely dump and chase. It was actually fun to watch.

Anyways, gratz on the win. You guys definitely need it more than us. I don't think many Avs fan would disagree with me when I say we already wrote off this season.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ill drink to that, I've already decided if the Coyotes leave, the Avs will be my team, since their relatively close to Phoenix, plus I like their history and their current roster. 'Sides the California teams and Dallas have p***** me off way too much over the years to ever root for them.

I already started a thread in the Avs board "Inform me of the Avs" about 2 weeks ago just because I knew, the Avs were going to be the team I would follow most after those on this team were gone wherever they moved to. I've become attached to this team and our current players. But after, if I was still living in Phx, I would follow the Avs because they don't play in our divison, and they are the closest team to me.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Haha i'll take the compliment, but honestly this is probably the 3rd best game we played this year. If you watched the other games where we got blown out... 'dynamic' wouldn't be the first word that came to your mind.

Actually, this is one of the first games in a loooong time we never saw the Avs do purely dump and chase. It was actually fun to watch.

Anyways, gratz on the win. You guys definitely need it more than us. I don't think many Avs fan would disagree with me when I say we already wrote off this season.

Hell, your GDT was about tanking and getting the best pick possible. I do root for you guys though, if the Coyotes leave, I'm rooting for the Avs as well as the players on the Coyotes right now that I can't ever forget. I've fallen in love with this team, but if/when the team moves, once the current players move on, I don't know how much I can root for their new home.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Really wish we coulda screwed the Blackhawks or the Kings instead of the Avs. Feel bad for them. If it were LA or Chicago I'd be rubbing my ass in their face.

I prefer 2 points in a game right now than rubbing something in someone's face. I just want to make the playoffs and see what happens. A regular season ass kicking is fun and all, but making the playoffs is priority IMO.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
It's nice to see our old scouting staff wasn't completely useless. Boedker and OEL are by far our best players.
Doan made up for the terrible turnover that led to the second Avs goal.
How they call Yandle for diving and not O'Brien is beyond me, but they made up for it :sarcasm:

Big two points. Let's keep it rolling.

Edit: Can you imagine if Boedker had a pure sniper to play with? He would easily put up 70 points in a full season, if not more.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
It's nice to see our old scouting staff wasn't completely useless. Boedker and OEL are by far our best players.
Doan made up for the terrible turnover that led to the second Avs goal.
How they call Yandle for diving and not O'Brien is beyond me, but they made up for it :sarcasm:

Big two points. Let's keep it rolling.

Diving is a joke of a penalty. I have 0 respect for diving calls after the Blackhawks were called for hooking on top of OEL getting called for diving.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
It's such a fine line. Just because a guy falls awkwardly doesn't mean it's a dive. Maybe he legitimately lost his balance?

Exactly. I think in the long run it's good, it might help with people not trying to sell a call. But the fact that there was a hook and dive on the same play, give me a break.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Nice to see Doan develop some chemistry with a center. Unfortunately, that center is Kyle Chipchura.
These line combos the past two games have been interesting... Torres with everybody, Doan on the 1st and 4th line, Chipchura with the linesman.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
Nice to see Doan develop some chemistry with a center. Unfortunately, that center is Kyle Chipchura.
These line combos the past two games have been interesting... Torres with everybody, Doan on the 1st and 4th line, Chipchura with the linesman.

With the way Chipchura has been playing, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Sure he's been light on the scoring, but I've said before that his puck control in the offensive zone has been great all season. And even if it doesn't create goals, it keeps the other team on the D and away from shooting pucks at Mike Smith and this hard work helps everybody on the team. Maybe pairing Doan with him will let them both produce offense? Of course it's only one game, but let's see if they roll with these lines going forward.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Did Sullivan just get straight benched? I'm not mad. It doesn't seem to make one bit of difference whether he's on the ice or not. I'm just curious.

Boedker is too good. Nobody on this team can keep up. We should acquire somebody purely for him to get some work done with. Nobody on the existing roster is in his league.

Vermette is invisible. Chipchura has been more effective so far this season. So have Gordon and Hanzal. Vermette is supposed to be our top center, not sitting quietly in last place. He needs to be ***** slapped and woken up. The season has started Antoine. Time to play hockey.

Yandle is not invisible, he's horrifying apparent. I never expected his back slide to continue. Last season was a small step back only so glaring because it was the first year without a major step back. We are now seeing what a major step back looks like. They should change his number to 55 until he again starts using the eyeballs God gave him.

I'm obviously not feeling great about these last couple of big games. Zero to zero ties and referee gifts are not great omens for success. I still a see a team with a lot of heads in *****.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
Did Sullivan just get straight benched? I'm not mad. It doesn't seem to make one bit of difference whether he's on the ice or not. I'm just curious.

Boedker is too good. Nobody on this team can keep up. We should acquire somebody purely for him to get some work done with. Nobody on the existing roster is in his league.

Vermette is invisible. Chipchura has been more effective so far this season. So have Gordon and Hanzal. Vermette is supposed to be our top center, not sitting quietly in last place. He needs to be ***** slapped and woken up. The season has started Antoine. Time to play hockey.

Yandle is not invisible, he's horrifying apparent. I never expected his back slide to continue. Last season was a small step back only so glaring because it was the first year without a major step back. We are now seeing what a major step back looks like. They should change his number to 55 until he again starts using the eyeballs God gave him.

I'm obviously not feeling great about these last couple of big games. Zero to zero ties and referee gifts are not great omens for success. I still a see a team with a lot of heads in *****.

Agree with everything you said, except Vermette. Sure he hasn't done much offensively, but I think he's been our best defensive forward. Even better than Hanzal.

I think Tippett benched Sullivan for his unsportsmanlike penalty.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Vermette's defensive play is not enough. That's what guys like Chipchurra and Gordon are for; they cost a fraction of Vermette's contract and do their job against much more talented lines than Vermette has to deal with.

He's been awful. Plain awful.

And I agree completely - we only won the last two because of Smith and a lot of luck. Other than Boedker, and occasionally Vrbata and Korpikoski, we look like **** out there.

I'm glad Doan was able to benefit from a dirty goal and a gift from the ref, but the rest of his play still did not inspire much confidence.

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
I totally agree with the quote on Chipchura and Doan. They seem to play well together gritty players Chipchura a passer and Doan a scorer. Didn't Chiphura assist Doan's hat trick goal last year?? The refee might of assisted the goal last night but it was Chipchura quick thinking to throw to Doan. I thought that Chipchura played a great game last night ... except for the fight, that would go to McLeoad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad