GDT: Game 12: Russia Vs United States | 1PM EST 7PM CET | USA 3 - 1 RUS

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
As a top 5 pick I would hope you bring something more than a couple forechecks

I'd really want to know more about what his coach is asking of him. Given how "grind" the team seems to be trying to play, there might be emphasis in different areas than what you're looking for.

I'm not keen on that, mind you, and obviously he still needs to do better offensively. It's just that I think the US team has more offensively talent than they are showing, and I think some of it is coaching. This game, to me, was a bit opportunistic, and less a great overall 5 on 5 effort. I don't think they can keep winning that way. The defensive side of things looked better, but they still need to be more dangerous offensively and 5 on 5 I don't think they were the better team. This game was a step in the right direction, but more needs to be done to get the most of the players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russia looks far better than I was led to believe, but they have to be more disciplined. Still have no idea who is the best of CAN, US, or Russia. Maybe it won't matter because Sweden is the best. They have one hell of a defense, and a couple of guys who can score.

Sure wish Miller would get inspired and take over a shift or two. He is one of the few out there who can rival, if not better, the strength and athleticism of the Russians.

Reactions: wacko2

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not really thrilled with the USA game, except their defensive work and Knight. Benefited from 2 lucky goals.

The victory, and the way they closed out the win, should be a big boost for their confidence though. Expecting much more from this team. Caulfield and Turcotte have been invisible.

Turcotte, through three games, has received 10:51, 11:59, and 13:55 time on ice. These 3rd/4th line ice times have really helped showcase his talents!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Turcotte, through three games, has received 10:51, 11:59, and 13:55 time on ice. These 3rd/4th line ice times have really helped showcase his talents!
He hasn't done much with that time, other players received less and earned more

Reactions: Wings4Life

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Fun game to watch from an outsider perspective.

I think this guarantees the US a Quarterfinal. They have tiebreakers over Russia and Germany. They should move on.

Russia is not guaranteed a quarter ... yet. If the German's beat them in regulation, they'll be out. I know that is a longshot but German powerplay is really good and their penalty good is very good as well. They'll have to survive at 5 on 5. Russians also have a goalie controversy now as I don't know who they should start.

I think Canada is well setup to win the pool now. Again, a longshot, but imagine if Canada wins pool and Russia doesn't make quarters?

Obviously, most likely scenario, has the Czechs playing Kazakhstan for relegation but the tournament now has a lot more drama!
Yep I came here to post that besides US I think Canada was also happy with this result. This is the best round robin I’ve ever seen in the WJC. Crazy, fun and unpredictable.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Back down to Earth tonight after a magnificent effort last night. There was no energy or passion at all. Huge difference in coaching. The United States had a solid plan that they executed well, while the Russians just seemed to skate around aimlessly, cycling the puck back and forth along the boards accomplishing nothing. The United States laid back in a defensive crouch the entire game, stacking bodies in front of their goal, and the Russians played into their web by controlling the puck in areas where it was harmless, always hoping for a lucky bounce. They squandered any energy that might have been generated from last night's game.

Denisenko had a great tournament last year, but he is really stinking it up this time! It looks very pretty when he goes into a toe-dragging festival all by himself, but it usually means that he is going to hold the puck and maneuver himself into a corner, all the while ignoring open teammates. And can anyone please tell me why in the name of Jesus that Sokolov is on the roster? He is a horrible slow skater with stone hands, and he just gets one penalty after another. Just another example of very poor coaching. Marchenko and Morozov have some talent and skill, but they are going in slow motion and accomplishing nothing. Very frustrating for a fan to watch!

Reactions: bagsw and wacko2

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Actually, it's Canada. They take care of business against the minnows and they'll lock up the #1 spot.

I'm not sure you can be embarrassed the way they were against Russia and be called the clear favorite.

A favorite, sure, and obviously they can win it all, but none of these teams look like clear favorites to my eyes. Keeping in mind that this isn't a 7-game playoff series where you can say one loss doesn't matter and talent should win out.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
As a top 5 pick I would hope you bring something more than a couple forechecks
Even if they prevented what could have been potential scoring chances? I understand the expectation about draft position but the kid has a 200ft game.. the little things are the easiest to overlook but believe me.. they really matter!

Rainmaker

Apr 15, 2017
I think this guarantees the US a Quarterfinal. They have tiebreakers over Russia and Germany. They should move on.

Group B runner-up appears to be the prime spot. Swiss/Slovaks in the QF and then winner of Sweden vs Germany/Czechs in the SF.

Conversely, 1B (likely Canada) would have Swiss/Slovaks and then winner of Finland/Russia. Lots can still change but this is how it's beginning to shape up.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Thats odd to say for a player whose numbers are much “worse” than Turcotte so far in both careers. A much better passer he certainly is.

Zegras is playing great so far.

Eye test tells you all you need to know. It was also pretty well believed that Zegras was the more talented offensive prospect before the draft, but Turcotte was thought to be the more complete player.

Beyond that, Zegras had 87 points last year on team USA playing primarily on the 2nd line, Turcotte had 62 (albeit in less games).

Zegras also has 17 points this year vs Turcotte's 15, and has obviously been better in this tournament as well.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Eye test tells you all you need to know. It was also pretty well believed that Zegras was the more talented offensive prospect before the draft, but Turcotte was thought to be the more complete player.

Beyond that, Zegras had 87 points last year on team USA playing primarily on the 2nd line, Turcotte had 62 (albeit in less games).

Zegras also has 17 points this year vs Turcotte's 15, and has obviously been better in this tournament as well.
Eye Test, 2 points more so far in college, offensively more promising etc.

Nice and well.

Fact is;

It does not make sense to say ''much better'' just because the other plays a more complete, less flashy game and also has better offensive numbers/goals/points on top of it so far in his career.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Eye Test, 2 points more so far in college, offensively more promising etc.

Nice and well.

Fact is;

It does not make sense to say ''much better'' just because the other plays a more complete, less flashy game and also has better offensive numbers/goals/points on top of it so far in his career.

I mean, weren't scouts pegging him as one of the top offensive talents in the draft?

I think all signs point to him being the clear cut better offensive talent. Is your issue here the "much better"?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I mean, weren't scouts pegging him as one of the top offensive talents in the draft?

I think all signs point to him being the clear cut better offensive talent. Is your issue here the "much better"?
Yes true, certainly when a player has a problem to score.

I am not even the biggest Turcotte fan to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->