GDT: GAME #12: LEAFS vs FLAMES | Scoatiabank Arena @ 7PM ET | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I took a peek too, they do seem quite salty already. I liked the post about how our defense is terrible and that's why we allow so many goals, meanwhile that stud D in Calgary has allowed 5 more than us :laugh:

I just don't get it. Has the D looked bad this year? The first like two games were rough but people act like we have no depth and an AHL D.

Leafs aren't even in the bottom 10 for GA despite having more games played than many ahead of them and those two outlier games at the start of the year to inflate the stats.

At this point it just makes fans look uninformed.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The Flames fan that said Oz has looked bad in every game he's watched just tells me he only watched the second game against Ottawa. He's been at worse an average bottom pairing guy in every game. Hell his underlying numbers are better than the Flames bottom pair.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Of players with over 50 5v5 Mins, adjusted for zone starts.

PlayerxGF%
Dermott60.54
Ozhiganov55.05
Hainsey53.29
Valimaki52.69
Rielly52.66
Hanifin48.92
Gardiner46.62
Giordano45.41
Stone45.35
Zaitsev44.13
Brodie43.54
Andersson43.16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kinda sad that our defense, which every other fanbase says is atrocious, outperforms the all-star one of the Flames

Reactions: Gary Nylund

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I just don't get it. Has the D looked bad this year? The first like two games were rough but people act like we have no depth and an AHL D.

Leafs aren't even in the bottom 10 for GA despite having more games played than many ahead of them and those two outlier games at the start of the year to inflate the stats.

At this point it just makes fans look uninformed.

Competent goaltending and solid coaching will do that. Not entirely sold on the defensive efforts from their forwards either

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
What SLOW start?

Frederik Andersen putting the October jitters behind him. Tonight is the last game in October for him.
Oct 2 (MTL) 34SH 36SV .944SAV%
Oct 13 (WSH) 25SH 27SV .926SAV%
Oct 18 (PIT) 36SH 37SV .973SAV%
Oct 24 (WPG) 38SH 40SV .950SAV%
Oct 27 (WPG) 24SH 22SV .917 SAV%

Those are some good teams, other than MTL lol, but even better numbers.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
What SLOW start?

Frederik Andersen putting the October jitters behind him. Tonight is the last game in October for him.
Oct 2 (MTL) 34SH 36SV .944SAV%
Oct 13 (WSH) 25SH 27SV .926SAV%
Oct 18 (PIT) 36SH 37SV .973SAV%
Oct 24 (WPG) 38SH 40SV .950SAV%
Oct 27 (WPG) 24SH 22SV .917 SAV%

Those are some good teams, other than MTL lol, but even better numbers.
Leaving out 3 starts seems a bit ingenuous.

EDIT: 4 STARTS , SV % .826, .882, .897, .875.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Don't even joke about Matthews losing his smile.
Smilies all around..

IDsrZHA.gif

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dermott is a monster. I know there's a lot of attention on Matthews and Nylander being out, but the team really is a lot better with Dermott in the lineup

He could be doing a bit better though. I think he has been a little bit shaky defensively and with his decision making ability, but it bodes well to see that he is still excel regardless (in a sheltered role but still more than Borgman could say).

Once he picks things up consistency wise, hopefully he can transfer his sheltered role quality to unsheltered role quality and show us he can be a legitimate replacement for Gardiner.

However it looks like he is sick today so back to Marincin we go. Marty has done well in spot duty and the 3rd pairing is rarely used anyways so I do not feel bad. Maybe since it's Calgary instead of one of the other top teams we've been playing, the Marincin-Ozhiganov pairing will get over 16 minutes today?

member 262271

As long as they don't take the Flames lightly I see this being a win. GLG.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
A 9-3 October after tonight! Not bad for a team that didn't have Nylander for any of those games.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
You know you’re a pretty deep team when you’re missing 2/3rds of the 1st line, (arguably) your 3rd best defenceman and you still expect to win. I’m really happy the Mar-Kad-Mar line is back. Calgary has looked shaky so far this year. Hopefully we take advantage before they get going.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This game sets the tone for AM34's absence. We cannot show up like the lame duck team that played the Blues.

If anything, I hope we get more pucks at the net. Without Matthews and Willie the secondary group if guys are in a great spot to show they are ready to contribute.

time for Johnsson, Leivo and Brown to get their head out of their ass and start performing like they can

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lines looks pretty good without Matthews and Nylander. The top two lines still look good.

The third line is the big question mark. Can Lindholm play #3 center and not look out of place? Can Johnsson play like he did at the end of last year? If that third line can't cut it, I think it might end up being our 4th line ... since our current Ennis - GOAT - Leivo line has looked solid for a while now. I'm cautiously optimistic about that 3rd line. Hope it works out.

Here is my guess:

Babcock uses

Kadri line against their 1st line
Tavares line against their 2nd line
Lindholm line against their 3rd line
Goat line against their 4th line

it will get challenging when we go on the road I think lines will change

XXX-Tavares-Kappy
XXX-Kadri-Marner
Lindholm-Marleau-Brown/Hyman
Goat line

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Dermott is a monster. I know there's a lot of attention on Matthews and Nylander being out, but the team really is a lot better with Dermott in the lineup
The fact that he's been a healthy scratch this year is ridiculous. I get it for tonight if he was sick and lost a bunch of weight, but when healthy he should be playing the right side with Rielly. Hainsey and Zaitsev should be the third pair until they show otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad