Post-Game Talk: GAME 12 - It don't come easy - BRUINS 3 Whalercanes 2 F

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let me see if I can channel Captian Obvious words here: Thank goodness for powerplays because this team needs work on its 5-5 and scoring depth. Halak 44 shots .995. Is there a still an argument on who is the #1 goalie? Sweeney ought to be burning up the trade lines with Rask wrapped around the hook. It's time for the Rask era to be over with.
View attachment 150867

1) The Bruins are 11th overall in GF, 9th in GF 5 on 5, 16th in GF 5 on 4. It’s early, but this would seem to indicate that the B’s are not as reliant on PP’s as you are trying to make them out to be.

2) Halak was really good last night, but his save % was .955 (42/44), not .995. There seems to be this trend to want to jettison Rask and anoint 33 year old Halak the starter.

This seems odd to me for a couple of reasons:

a) It’s been shown over the last few years that teams need two quality goalies due to injuries and slumps.

b) If Rask is now a backup at $7m, who is going to be interested in trading for him?

Reactions: Bergyesque

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It sounds like Boston's one-line team did it again. That's just not sustainable.

Yup. 12 games in and the kids have all less than 3 points. How much longer before something changes? Yes some kids are working very hard but how much longer does the team go without changing something?

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yup. 12 games in and the kids have all less than 3 points. How much longer before something changes? Yes some kids are working very hard but how much longer does the team go without changing something?

Lumping all the kids together is not a good assessment. IMO Bjork ,Heinen ,and DeBrusk are NHL ready . Donato is NOT

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lumping all the kids together is not a good assessment. IMO Bjork ,Heinen ,and DeBrusk are NHL ready . Donato is NOT

I tend to agree...however until such time Bjork and Heinen are shuffled around for the right chemistry we won't really know. I still can't believe how much Donato is getting rewarded playing on top pp....WTF is up with that?

Reactions: bme44

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

You say "12 games in" and lump all the young players together. Not all the young kids have played in those 12 games. DeBrusk is actually the only one to have played in all 12 games.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I tend to agree...however until such time Bjork and Heinen are shuffled around for the right chemistry we won't really know. I still can't believe how much Donato is getting rewarded playing on top pp....WTF is up with that?
I would like to see Bjork get a few games with Marchand and Bergeron
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak as the second line
Heinen ,Nordstrom and if Backes is ready as your third for now. If and when there is someone ready to take over the third line center position Nordstrom moves to the forth

Reactions: HustleB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Right now their winning games. Thanks to the dominance of the top line, their defense and Halak. Here's hoping they can fix their lack of offense outside of the first line with a few internal moves. Switching Pastrnak to the 2nd line last night was over do and hopefully it stays that way.
I think this may solve a lot of those secondary scoring issues. On the plus side with the bruins continuing to win games, they have the luxury of trying to figure it out internally, before making a move. Its awful nice to be in the driver seat when you go to make a trade. Id rather have a desperate team come calling Sweeney willing to give-up an asset.

Debrusk could become a 25 plus goal scorer this yr playing with Bergy and Marchy and I don't feel Pasta will miss a beat playing with Krejci and Henein and Guys like Bjork/Donato will also only benefit as they have the skill to play in the top six as well, but that dreaded 4th line needs to be fixed.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
We only have on line but damn, thats the best line i've ever seen. So frickin dominant.

Sweeney better move his ass and get a #2 C asap. Debrusk could use one.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
We only have on line but damn, thats the best line i've ever seen. So frickin dominant.

Sweeney better move his ass and get a #2 C asap. Debrusk could use one.

As hard as I am on Krejci, he has 9 pts in 12 games and DeBrusk got benched for a stretch last night. After the first 2/3 games, Krejci has not been the issue.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Acciari with a team worst -6 rating and a Big Fat Zero pts in 12 games..PLEASE get him off this team and take Kuraly with you.. Those 2 guys have gotten too many free passes past couple years while giving back very little in return.. I'm sure there's been 20 guys the past 2 years in Providence saying,"At least I can give as much as Acciari or Kuraly if I get a call up"!!.. Seriously, I'm tired of watching those 2 do nothing game in game out..

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Acciari with a team worst -6 rating and a Big Fat Zero pts in 12 games..PLEASE get him off this team and take Kuraly with you.. Those 2 guys have gotten too many free passes past couple years while giving back very little in return.. I'm sure there's been 20 guys the past 2 years in Providence saying,"At least I can give as much as Acciari or Kuraly if I get a call up"!!.. Seriously, I'm tired of watching those 2 do nothing game in game out..

I tend to agree with Acciari, but I think Kuraly is an above average 4th line C.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree with this assessment. Miss Shaller/Nash <Riley>

I think if the B’s can get their 3rd line situation squared away, and drop Nordstrom down to the 4th line (where he should be), it will look much better.

Nash didn’t play much with Kuraly with the injuries last year and Nordstrom can be as good/better than Schaller. Wagner, Cave, Senyshyn (or another PRO kid or upgrade) would be good on the right.

Reactions: maxbme

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Can't believe they won that game.

Halak was once again on point. So far a complete steal of a FA.

Carlo is such a beast defensively. You can tell he focuses on the defensive side of the game very hard. All his effort is purely stopping players in the defensive zone and he does it impressively.

Gladly take the win.

And 3 assists for Bergeron. Thought he had an iffy game too. He has 19 points now. Crazy.

And that 19pts sir is good for 2nd in league in points!!

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Right now their winning games. Thanks to the dominance of the top line, their defense and Halak. Here's hoping they can fix their lack of offense outside of the first line with a few internal moves. Switching Pastrnak to the 2nd line last night was over do and hopefully it stays that way.
I think this may solve a lot of those secondary scoring issues. On the plus side with the bruins continuing to win games, they have the luxury of trying to figure it out internally, before making a move. Its awful nice to be in the driver seat when you go to make a trade. Id rather have a desperate team come calling Sweeney willing to give-up an asset.

Debrusk could become a 25 plus goal scorer this yr playing with Bergy and Marchy and I don't feel Pasta will miss a beat playing with Krejci and Henein and Guys like Bjork/Donato will also only benefit as they have the skill to play in the top six as well, but that dreaded 4th line needs to be fixed.

I.m so tired of saying that, Happy someone else did, Thank you.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I have to say, I think Cassidy might be onto something with DeBrusk on that 1st line RW. The kid is kind of like a Mark Stone type. He's got size, offensive ability and is solid in 200ft game. For his career, Stone is a 20/40 guy and I see no reason why DeBrusk couldn't be that playing with Marchand & Bergeron. Last year DeBrusk 82 game pace put him at 18G/32A and I see no reason why playing w/ 37 & 63 wouldn't get him that extra 2G/8A.

What I like most though, is DeBrusk will now get a chance to become an even better 200ft player because Bergy and Marchy will drive him to be one. Imagine what this kid could be capable of playing with two elite players in Marchand and Bergeron. Is it possible that the kid could have a shot at 30 goals over a full season?

The 2nd line of Heinen/Krejci/Pastrnak seem to show some chemistry early on. It was actually the first time this season where I felt like we had our top two lines rolling. Now they didn't score, but they had some really good opportunities. I even thought that Krejci had a little more pep to his game when he was playing with Krejci. I'd go into NSH with the top 6 the same way they ended last night.

As I said in the GDT, I smile when I think about the fact that we have Lauzon/Vaak on our future left side. I mean really this teams top 6 could be set for 10 years if you really wanted to think about it. When Chara retires and/or Krug is traded/leaves via UFA, you have the following...

Vaak - McAvoy
Lauzon - Carlo
Zboril - Andersson

^I mean that's not a bad young group of d-men to have. I think our top 4 is solid and Carlo/Lauzon could be a pretty solid shutdown pairing in the NHL.

As for goaltending, you have to keep riding the hot hand. As a big Rask fan (my favorite player not named Bergeron), Halak has earned the opportunity to get more games. Now things could flip back at some point during the season, but for now, Halak is your "#1 goalie"

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
I.m so tired of saying that, Happy someone else did, Thank you.

You have a good 4th line on the team in Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner. It's line 3 that needs to be fixed, the wings are not a threat offensively and are soft defensively and Nordstrom hasn't played center in 4 years, never mind the 3rd line. Slide Nordstrom down and rebuild line 3 completely. If Donato and Bjork weren't on the PP last night, you would have never noticed either. Both were benched for the 2nd period last night.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

The problem is that bjork and heinen are getting shuffled around so much on different lines they aren’t getting a chance to get comfortable and gain chemistry. Every 2-3 games they have different linemates.

Tough to gain chemistry/comfort ability when you are getting either new linemates or switching from RW to left win every couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad