GDT: Game 12: Coyotes @ Sharks | 2-9-13 | 2PM | FSA and NHLN

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Let's have a team here next year before we starting fretting over Doan's albatross of a contract.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Is team chemistry important? Of course.

Can I accept paying Bissonette $ 750K for the occasional fight because of team chemistry? Fine.

Is it alright to have the worst backup goalie in the league and pay him $ 1.5 M /yr because he's a great locker room guy? That's getting a little silly.

Is it fine for a cash-strapped team to use $ 5.3 M / yr over the next 4 years in a useless, over-the-top captain because he provides "10x more off the ice"? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I hope it's just another slow start. Because if this what we're going to get from Doan until he ends his career, no thanks.

For a man that has literally sacrificed so much of his time, heart, and effort for a team just because he has hope for it, and believes that it his team, the only one he feels he truly deserves, you are acting very naive. This man is not only a hard working, dedicated, generous, and selfless person, he is also the main spokesperson for the franchise. How many times have we seen interviews with Doan expressing with 100% honesty that this team can and will make it in this market? How many times have we seen Doan serve as an advocate for the fans? The local charities, the constant efforts for the fans, almost SINGLE HANDEDLY saving the season from another full year lockout. NO other team in the NHL has a Doan. Period. NO other team has a player that has put in SO MUCH effort into saving face for a failing franchise. Nobody in the NHL wears their heart on their sleeve like Shane does. Anybody who has EVER had ANY sort of contact with Doan has always made it a point to make sure it is known that he is one of the most heartful, caring, and classiest guys in sports today. And you're going to sit here and ***** about his performance over 10 games in a fluke season? You're not satisfied? I'd be willing to bet that had Doan not been here the past 4 years, the Coyotes would be in Winnipeg, and the Thrashers would be the team that Seattle and Quebec are salivating over.

You want a guaranteed 30 goal scorer in the place of Doan? Good luck. First off, without Doan, i guarantee we would be WAY less of an attraction to outside players, and not ONE of those guys would be able to bring half of what Shane offers in the locker room. Go ahead and say it's "ridiculous" that off ice value is a factor with Doan, i guarantee if you ask anybody who has played along side a player as committed to his team's success as he is, they would laugh in your face at your allegations of it not being a factor. Motivation is the NUMBER ONE aspect in performance. It takes special individuals to motivate 30+ guys at a time, see Ray Lewis, and the comments his teammates made about him and winning the Superbowl.

But hey, by all means, if you want to replace that with a stat stacker, be my guest. Lonely crowd you're in. Why don't you go ask Columbus, and New Jersey fans how to prepare to deal with the extreme disappointment when their number one point producers and so called "face of the franchise" abandones the team due to selfish reasons such as more money, or higher skilled teammates.

Parise and Nash are damn good hockey players, but as you can see, they will leave for their own sake at the drop of a hat. You want that? You want 2 or 3 years of high numbers from one player that cost you multiple players to get, just to see him say "it's not working out" and leave you with nothing? Again, be my guest.

Personally i would be more than happy to see the man who has been our most dedicated and one of the most consistent men for ONLY ONE organization stay until he unlaces his skates for the last time in his career. I would take 20 point seasons for the next 4 years of his contract if i had to, because he is one of the few men in sports who deserve it. Instead, i will continue to be very satisfied knowing that we have a player that will give every thing he has in the tank, for every game, and almost a lock for 40+ points a year, barring this shortened one. Doan has chosen to remain loyal to a team that has struggled mightily on and off the ice, and that is one damn good thing to take pride in as a fan. Very few fans can say the same. If you need a reminder, go to the next meet and greet possible, and shake hands with the guy. As he signs your t-shirt, thanks you wholeheartedly for coming out, smiles and laughs with your kids and asks how you're doing, willingly engaging in conversations, signing more things, and snapping more pictures than the men in dark suits behind him say is allowed, you will then see how much he truly appreciates YOU, more than you appreciate him.

Last edited:

zz

Nov 1, 2006
TL, DR

Come on, give me a break. I love the guy, but let's not go overboard here. His contract is fair market value, if not a bit overpaid because of the ownership mess. No hometown discount here.

Getting all butt-hurt because some of us would actually expect him to perform like a captain and $ 5M player seems a bit silly.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
It was a payment that another team would have paid. In everyones defense he was called out on several national outlets bit its not our money and losing him would have demoralized the fan base. Its not a for a lack of effort on his part. Give it time. This short season has a lot of people off their game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doan's game hasn't just suddenly and permanently fallen off a cliff. He will be fine. He's just got to work through this. Generally when he has a slump, he gets good ans pissed off about it, and then he starts violently lashing out against the opposition. It is at this point that he's at his most effective. Angry Doan is good Doan. He just needs to be suitably pissed off before he snaps out of this. We've seen it a dozen times.

RABBIT

Oct 21, 2008
TL, DR

Come on, give me a break. I love the guy, but let's not go overboard here. His contract is fair market value, if not a bit overpaid because of the ownership mess. No hometown discount here.

Getting all butt-hurt because some of us would actually expect him to perform like a captain and $ 5M player seems a bit silly.

:laugh: I'm the butt hurt one? Who's *****ing about Doan not putting up crazy numbers in 10 ****ing games. :laugh:

If you have followed this team these past 5 years at least you would know that Doan is notorious for slow starts, but always picks it up. Even though he's not scoring a ppg, he's still playing solid hockey. It's hilarious to me. If Maloney makes one bad trade, do you want him fired? Crazy talk bruh.

And :laugh: @ "TL, DR"
Why even respond to something you didn't even read thoroughly?

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Very well said Rabbit. Excellent post. You really nailed how important Doan is to our franchise. :handclap:

RABBIT

Oct 21, 2008
TL, DR

Doan must read these boards, he really wanted to prove you wrong.

Just joshin ya buddy, all in good fun ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->