Goal-Day Thread Game 12 - Carolina Hurricanes at Arizona Coyotes 7pm I FSAZ+ I ESPN 620AM

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I missed the game last night, but I think he will be fine at C. Looking at the stat line, Strome had as assist, but was terrible in the dot. In fact, only Richardson was worth his weight in salt in the dot. I did see the hi lights and Strome's feed to Cousins which was nice as two players were on Strome. That shows what most have been saying that Strome needs someone who can finish. Again, if Strome can find that consistency he will be fine, if not, he will find himself in the press box.
I'm not sure of Galchenyuk at C either, think he might be better on the wing, time will tell. If DVO were playing, Galchenyuk would be on the wing. Strome was better away from the puck last night. His feed to Cousins was money but we all know he can do that in the O zone. Its his play without the puck that I liked and that will keep him in the line up. Richardson has been our best all around C, good in all 3 zones. Stepan has been solid, does the little things.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We’ve done the right things with the lead the last few games. They saw last night what happens when you don’t do those things. They got two points and a valuable lesson.
Agree with this, we took our foot off the gas when we were up 3-0 against a high potent offense.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm not sure of Galchenyuk at C either, think he might be better on the wing, time will tell. If DVO were playing, Galchenyuk would be on the wing. Strome was better away from the puck last night. His feed to Cousins was money but we all know he can do that in the O zone. Its his play without the puck that I liked and that will keep him in the line up. Richardson has been our best all around C, good in all 3 zones. Stepan has been solid, does the little things.
Richardson and Strome were both very impressive last night. Richardson looks like he did before he broke his leg. Which is amazing given his age. Strome had some shifts that made him look like a 3rd overall pick. Stepan had a good game too. If Strome can continue to have games like this one, we’re going to have an okay center situation. Especially when Dvorak comes back.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You know your doing something right when Ken Campbell starts tweeting people should make the drive to Glendale and watch the Yotes. :laugh:

Reactions: Mosby

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes u win games you should have lost. We seemed to have no problem losing games we should have won earlier in the season. This is just things balancing out.

Reactions: MIG

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The Flyers don't have a goaltender on their roster playing at an NHL level right now so it doesn't really matter who they call their starter at this point.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
To be fair, they knew what kind of Richardson was. When he signed that deal he was still not playing at 100% because of that serious injury he had. He is though, playing better than I anticipated. It's funny how confidence and momentum can dictate how a player plays, and he's a vet.
His speed this season has surprised the hell out of me

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Carolina is big and fast. Wow. They are a good model for the yotes moving forward.
The biggest difference with the Yotes winning lately is they don't allow the 2-0's or breakaways like they were earlier in the year despite outshooting the opposition.
Raanta stole the game tonight but it's not that the Yotes played that bad it's just the Canes were really smoking tonight after falling behind.
I really like what Strome bought to the table. Maybe sitting him served a purpose. He's now not waiting for plays to develop. He's much more engaged. Yes he looks like Bambi on ice in the corners but put effort and his skill together and he will be okay.
Keller and Alex G did not look good tonight at all. But I'd give them some more time together.
Lyubushkin is really bad. He treats the puck like a hand grenade and his mobility is limited. get him out of there.
Grabner and Richardson combo is the best I've seen on the shorthand in a long time. It's one of those things that really help teams win. And I don't mean just scoring goals, that's a bonus, it's shutting down the oppositions power play. would be huge in the playoffs. Yes Playoffs.:)
Excellent post (dead on with your third sentence), but I disagree re: Lyubushkin.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I would say that giving up 50 shots is full blown panic.:) I didn't see the game but the way it sounds we were badly out played and if we made adjustments they didn't work. RT said the vets played good.
They got on their heels, started with less aggression on the forecheck and that morphed into being overwhelmed in our end.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We’ve done the right things with the lead the last few games. They saw last night what happens when you don’t do those things. They got two points and a valuable lesson.
Big time learning curve here. Another crucial aspect that some may not consider is that it's also a big time gut check. Will this team have it in them to continually bear down? Aka: "It hurts to win" and they way this team has been playing, the way they need to play, is gonna hurt. Also begs the question: can they physically sustain the pace? It's possible that RT himself even made the call to try clogging the nuetral zone more, attempting to save some energy for the long haul.

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would say that giving up 50 shots is full blown panic.:) I didn't see the game but the way it sounds we were badly out played and if we made adjustments they didn't work. RT said the vets played good.

The game played out in a very interesting direction. That span in 1st period during our goals was just consistent effort against what Carolina came out in. We actually ended up playing evenly.

About the time of the first PP against us in the 2nd period, Carolina just poured it on, but some of it was simply misplaying bouncing pucks and Carolina closing gaps well. Someone had mentioned difficulty on the boards, and that came into play a little bit as well. B/c of the Canes ability to jump on pucks and get shots away, that was how they were able to get second and third chances.

I thought we were a little cleaner in the third, but give credit to Carolina - their staff found something that worked against us on the defensive end, but that is something that the Hurricanes have been doing to a lot of teams, given their shot quantity. Teams playing from behind will take a few more risks with shots and pinching to create those shots. This is the type of team that we don't match up well with, simply b/c they can counter our speed. A lot of teams have tried to contain our speed in the neutral zone but we have enough playmakers to get it through. This is one of the few teams that took it to us on offense, as normally we are turning the puck back the other way. We didn't create enough giveaways, which also affected the shot totals.

We needed an ugly win though - this gives us quite a bit of confidence and I like the moxie and attitude of the team thus far. Perlini looked a little dead in the pre-game interview, and to be honest, the first 5 minutes we looked a little lackadaisical. Could just be due to the fact that Friday doesn't always seem to be a game day for us - I feel like we got used to the Thursday/Saturday slate of games and maybe we weren't ready to play. Glad we had that jump-start with the PK, followed by the other two goals, but we didn't look great at all - just good at capitalizing on the moments properly, especially Raanta. Also the little plays - Lyubushkin blocking the shot and saving a goal, OEL coming out of the penalty box and blocking the shot as a de facto RW, a lot of selling out when the goal mouth was open. We are committed, and I am not sure if we had that commitment early last year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The big Russian has a role to play, and it’s not to move the puck. He does just fine in his role. There’s no one to take his place if he is benched. He hits and blocks shots, clears the crease.

Reactions: Antonche and RemoAZ

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Obviously, Raanta was the star of the game. Richardson is playing very well. He looks like he's back at pre-broken leg time. He has been very effective.
I thought Strome looked good. He is an elite playmaker when he gets time. Really liked his drive to the net and toe drag move.
Carolina really used their speed well. Our problem was that we missed lots of break out passes in the 2nd and third period.

Glad we pulled it off. We need more offense from the first line. The PP definitely needs some work. Nice goals by Richardson and then Perlini.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad