Goal-Day Thread Game 12 - Carolina Hurricanes at Arizona Coyotes 7pm I FSAZ+ I ESPN 620AM

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
unknown.png

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
Major takeaways-

1) Good teams find ways to win.
2) Carolina is going to be a damn good team in this league for a while
3) The Yotes can be a damn good team in this league for a while too.
4) Dylan Strome is becoming the player he needs to be more consistently.
5) Lyubushkin is good. We have a glut of good defenseman. Bout f****n’ time.
6) See #1

Pumped is an understatement:yo:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Was thinking while watching that not every game is gonna be played well, even for the best teams... But we still found a way to pull out the W and that means something. Happy to celebrate that and hope they do better next game!

Agreed with Carolina being a force once their goaltending is settled. Good for them!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We deserved to win this after those first 5 games of season

It was probably just bad luck to face Gibson twice so early. The veterans were asleep though the wins have woken them up. Demers body language changes for the worst the moment adversity strikes. As soon as the Canes started piling it on in the third he stopped skating and stopped making confident plays. That dude is fragile.

Maybe they just figured out that winning is fun and is a lot less awkward at practice/film time. Stepan probably skated the hardest I've ever seen him skate as a Coyote this game.

Reactions: Yandover

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Haven't scrolled through this thread yet but some thoughts:

We can't let off the gas after a big early lead. That hanging on to it stuff was shades of Tippett hockey and I hated it. Granted the Hurricanes are a bit of a freak and the shots just kept coming. Really need to make it 4-0 when it's 3-0.

I thought we may see an uptick on the PP with Galchenyuk's return, but it's still pretty ugly. It's still early, but if John MacLean can't get this figured out, then let Tocchet or Allen do it. I know Tocchet had the PP taken away from him in Pitt, but he can't do worse than what we have now. On Allen, if he can shut down a PP so well, maybe he can also do just the opposite.

One of Goligoski's 5 best games as a Coyote. He probably gets the OT winner if he doesn't blow a bit of a tire there. Thought Strome also looked good for the time he was given. I liked Cousins' game as well. He was really moving out there.

Lyubushkin made that huge save but I really didn't like his game tonight. He struggles in moving the puck because he doesn't take the simple pass. He doesn't have the puck moving skills to dish it through traffic. I thought Carolina's speed really exposed him. He may be worth having in the lineup for certain matchups, but hopefully Connauton (or Chychrun) feels better soon.

Next two are against Philly who I believe have the highest GA in the league. If it were me, I might start Kuemper next game as a bit of a wake up call that we just can't have the goalie bail us out. Plus Raanta may deserve a break after that performance.

Reactions: Pomee and azcanuck

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Haven't scrolled through this thread yet but some thoughts:

We can't let off the gas after a big early lead. That hanging on to it stuff was shades of Tippett hockey and I hated it. Granted the Hurricanes are a bit of a freak and the shots just kept coming. Really need to make it 4-0 when it's 3-0.

I thought we may see an uptick on the PP with Galchenyuk's return, but it's still pretty ugly. It's still early, but if John MacLean can't get this figured out, then let Tocchet or Allen do it. I know Tocchet had the PP taken away from him in Pitt, but he can't do worse than what we have now. On Allen, if he can shut down a PP so well, maybe he can also do just the opposite.

One of Goligoski's 5 best games as a Coyote. He probably gets the OT winner if he doesn't blow a bit of a tire there. Thought Strome also looked good for the time he was given. I liked Cousins' game as well. He was really moving out there.

Lyubushkin made that huge save but I really didn't like his game tonight. He struggles in moving the puck because he doesn't take the simple pass. He doesn't have the puck moving skills to dish it through traffic. I thought Carolina's speed really exposed him. He may be worth having in the lineup for certain matchups, but hopefully Connauton (or Chychrun) feels better soon.

Next two are against Philly who I believe have the highest GA in the league. If it were me, I might start Kuemper next game as a bit of a wake up call that we just can't have the goalie bail us out. Plus Raanta may deserve a break after that performance.

Yeah, what happened, really. On the Canes board they seem to think it was due to their own changes.

Kuemper certainly deserves a start now anyhow. He has been excellent in his few starts.

Can't play Raanta every single game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Be fair - the Richardson who signed the extension was a different guy than this one... ;)
To be fair, they knew what kind of Richardson was. When he signed that deal he was still not playing at 100% because of that serious injury he had. He is though, playing better than I anticipated. It's funny how confidence and momentum can dictate how a player plays, and he's a vet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The more I see Galchenyuk, the more I think he's a winger. I just want him to shoot, not worry about creating from the center spot. If he doesn't get any better at center, I'd like them to move him when Dvo comes back.
I missed the game last night, but I think he will be fine at C. Looking at the stat line, Strome had as assist, but was terrible in the dot. In fact, only Richardson was worth his weight in salt in the dot. I did see the hi lights and Strome's feed to Cousins which was nice as two players were on Strome. That shows what most have been saying that Strome needs someone who can finish. Again, if Strome can find that consistency he will be fine, if not, he will find himself in the press box.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Carolina is big and fast. Wow. They are a good model for the yotes moving forward.
The biggest difference with the Yotes winning lately is they don't allow the 2-0's or breakaways like they were earlier in the year despite outshooting the opposition.
Raanta stole the game tonight but it's not that the Yotes played that bad it's just the Canes were really smoking tonight after falling behind.
I really like what Strome bought to the table. Maybe sitting him served a purpose. He's now not waiting for plays to develop. He's much more engaged. Yes he looks like Bambi on ice in the corners but put effort and his skill together and he will be okay.
Keller and Alex G did not look good tonight at all. But I'd give them some more time together.
Lyubushkin is really bad. He treats the puck like a hand grenade and his mobility is limited. get him out of there.
Grabner and Richardson combo is the best I've seen on the shorthand in a long time. It's one of those things that really help teams win. And I don't mean just scoring goals, that's a bonus, it's shutting down the oppositions power play. would be huge in the playoffs. Yes Playoffs.:)

Reactions: Pomee and Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is the downside of giving up so many shots - the chances eventually get better and better with more rebounds and traffic. I do think that we had an in-game adjustment that cost us in the 2nd period, as we looked very iffy and unsettled. Got a little better in the 3rd. Not sure if we did enough to win the game, but we'll take it.

Still can't be overly upset that two of the goals were very odd - a poor angle shot that deflects off Martinook's skate at the perfect angle and a redirect off of Goligoski's shin are pretty crazy ways to score, so I guess those made up for the ones that Raanta was able to fend off.

That is the best offensive team we have played, and they really gave it to us. Both teams had rest in between, so they were ready to put their foot on the gas from puck drop in the 2nd period. Just need a better response, but this is a good test to ensure that we didn't start to panic. We were rough, but not overly panicky with our play or decisions.
I would say that giving up 50 shots is full blown panic.:) I didn't see the game but the way it sounds we were badly out played and if we made adjustments they didn't work. RT said the vets played good.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Carolina is big and fast. Wow. They are a good model for the yotes moving forward.
The biggest difference with the Yotes winning lately is they don't allow the 2-0's or breakaways like they were earlier in the year despite outshooting the opposition.
Raanta stole the game tonight but it's not that the Yotes played that bad it's just the Canes were really smoking tonight after falling behind.
I really like what Strome bought to the table. Maybe sitting him served a purpose. He's now not waiting for plays to develop. He's much more engaged. Yes he looks like Bambi on ice in the corners but put effort and his skill together and he will be okay.
Keller and Alex G did not look good tonight at all. But I'd give them some more time together.
Lyubushkin is really bad. He treats the puck like a hand grenade and his mobility is limited. get him out of there.
Grabner and Richardson combo is the best I've seen on the shorthand in a long time. It's one of those things that really help teams win. And I don't mean just scoring goals, that's a bonus, it's shutting down the oppositions power play. would be huge in the playoffs. Yes Playoffs.:)
Good post, but I disagree about Lyubushkin. Like I mentioned, I didn't see the game last night, but in other games I thought Lyubushkin has played very well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Major takeaways-

1) Good teams find ways to win.
2) Carolina is going to be a damn good team in this league for a while
3) The Yotes can be a damn good team in this league for a while too.
4) Dylan Strome is becoming the player he needs to be more consistently.
5) Lyubushkin is good. We have a glut of good defenseman. Bout f****n’ time.
6) See #1

Pumped is an understatement:yo:
Like they say, never get too high after a win, or too low after a loss.:)

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
As long as the guys are realistic about the way the game went last night and are not happy with it despite the two points, then we should be fine.

Keller (until THAT pass), Gally, Stepan with subpar performances. Let's hope they step up against Gritty.

Good team the Canes; very big yet creative and fast team. If only they had Raanta...

Svechnikov is going to be a headache for opposing team very soon.

Reactions: Pomee

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Yeah, what happened, really. On the Canes board they seem to think it was due to their own changes.

Kuemper certainly deserves a start now anyhow. He has been excellent in his few starts.

Can't play Raanta every single game.

The schedule spacing has been kind, but it gets tighter in the next week plus.

I would go R - K - R - K - R over the next 5.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
This was and Tampa were the 2 games I feared on this homestand..

When you see Carolina avg 43 shots per game I expected this was going to happen.

Hurricanes should have a better record than they do.... however

The Coyotes really made them look like the globetrotters out there. Carolina is good , but we really made them look great. We lost board battles all over the ice.

And we really sat back , with the exception of the PK.

After the Canes scored the first goal ... I was pretty sure we were losing the game.. happy we didn't. And hopefully the guys use this as a learning experience..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->