Defense
Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Pesce

Goalies

Darling
Mrazek

Scratches:
Di Giuseppe (healthy), McElhinney (healthy), Rask (hand; injured non-roster)

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
For those of you who don't watch much Canes for me they are one of the most exciting teams to watch currently and I make an effort to watch as much of them as I can.

I'm a huge fan of Aho, one of my favourite non-Bruins at this time, and their D corps is one of the deepest in the league. They have surprising depth as well at forward.

Goaltending is their weakness but Darling looked good in preseason so this won't be an easy win. Excited to see Krug back in the lineup.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For those of you who don't watch much Canes for me they are one of the most exciting teams to watch currently and I make an effort to watch as much of them as I can.

I'm a huge fan of Aho, one of my favourite non-Bruins at this time, and their D corps is one of the deepest in the league. They have surprising depth as well at forward.

Goaltending is their weakness but Darling looked good in preseason so this won't be an easy win. Excited to see Krug back in the lineup.

Lack of goal scorers (ie..talent) and abysmal special teams has been killing them this season though.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
REFEREES

FL38.jpg
FC06.jpg

Francois St. Laurent #38
Francis Charron #6

LINESMEN
Tim Nowak #77
Andrew Smith #51

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why does Torey Krug's partner always have to be some defensive stay-at-home type?

Because krug is arguably the worst pure defender of his position among the defensive core. Great offensively, but he needs a safety net back. He often gets caught out of position while trying to pinch up.

Reactions: BMC

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What's the consensus on Dougie with you folks so far?

Not as much scoring as we had hoped. Overall, playing well though with Slavin on the top pairing and he generates a lot of offense/shots, but the scoring hasn't come yet. Adding Dougie and de Hann have really stabilized the defense (so far). Canes usually just roll all 3 defensive pairings equally at ES and thus all 6 of the D are averaging between 15-18 min TOI/GP at ES (and 16:13-22:46 OA). It helps with the style the Canes play that they don't have to shelter a pairing and can play them equally.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Not as much scoring as we had hoped. Overall, playing well though with Slavin on the top pairing and he generates a lot of offense/shots, but the scoring hasn't come yet. Adding Dougie and de Hann have really stabilized the defense (so far). Canes usually just roll all 3 defensive pairings equally at ES and thus all 6 of the D are averaging between 15-18 min TOI/GP at ES (and 16:13-22:46 OA). It helps with the style the Canes play that they don't have to shelter a pairing and can play them equally.

Good stuff, that's great that they can average those minutes, helps greatly with an uptempo pace. Does that offset losing Hannafin? I'm a big Justin Faulk fan, I like the way he plays and he seems like a real leader on the ice

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Because krug is arguably the worst pure defender of his position among the defensive core. Great offensively, but he needs a safety net back. He often gets caught out of position while trying to pinch up.

If a D-man pinches, which the majority of them do now, one of the forwards fills in an covers for him, pretty much NHL defensive play 101. Kevan Miller pinches, so does Carlo. The days of a D-man staying tight to the blue-line 99% of the time are over with.

He needs support skating the puck out of the zone and reducing his touches of the puck much more than he needs a "safety net".

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Good stuff, that's great that they can average those minutes, helps greatly with an uptempo pace. Does that offset losing Hannafin? I'm a big Justin Faulk fan, I like the way he plays and he seems like a real leader on the ice

Opinions may vary, but IMO, Dougie is what we hope Hanifin would become. That said, Dougie+deHann more than offsets the loss of Hanifin (age/contracts not withstanding).

de Hann is a good partner for Faulk who looks much better this year with that stability. Dougie and Slavin have meshed well which allows Pesce to be on the 3rd pairing (even though he's playing the 3rd most minutes OA). It gives 3 solid defensive guys (Slavin, de Hann, Pesce). They still play aggressively though, which can lead to some odd man rushes/break-aways. That's more of a system thing.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

In fairness to Krug this is the problem with all offensive defensemen, not just him.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
This will be the biggest test of the year so far. Carolina just absolutely siphons the puck toward goal and forces high danger chances, meanwhile, the b
Bruins take on average the farthest distance shots of any team in the league and just don't produce much chaos around the net.

I'm looking for JD to have a big night driving the net. 2 goals for JD!

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
"Killing them" might be a tad strong, given that they are currently in 2nd place in the division.

Only because of playing more games than the 3 teams 1-2 points behind them and having been good at ES. Still, here's how they are doing:

ES: 27 GF / 16 GA
Specal Teams: 6 GF / 15 GA (includes 6 on 5 and 5 on 6 EN goals).

They are brutal on special teams.

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Opinions may vary, but IMO, Dougie is what we hope Hanifin would become. That said, Dougie+deHann more than offsets the loss of Hanifin (age/contracts not withstanding).

de Hann is a good partner for Faulk who looks much better this year with that stability. Dougie and Slavin have meshed well which allows Pesce to be on the 3rd pairing (even though he's playing the 3rd most minutes OA). It gives 3 solid defensive guys (Slavin, de Hann, Pesce). They still play aggressively though, which can lead to some odd man rushes/break-aways. That's more of a system thing.

Thanks for the info, great analysis!

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Only because of playing more games than the 3 teams 1-2 points behind them and having been good at ES. Still, here's how they are doing:

ES: 27 GF / 16 GA
Specal Teams: 6 GF / 15 GA (includes 6 on 5 and 5 on 6 EN goals).

They are brutal on special teams.

No doubt they are brutal on special teams. Just pointing out that it isn't exactly "killing them"....at least not yet. Either way, the Bs were like that a few years ago. Better IMO to be great at 5 on 5 play and suck on the power play than the other way around. Teams that only score on the power play struggle when teams figure it out and stop going into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad